Ares Games

Thread: Mitsubishi G4M1 'Betty' colors question

Default Mitsubishi G4M1 'Betty' colors question

I'm beginning to expand beyond WGF, taking first steps in WGS of which I know little other than some general information about a/c types in the European theater. However, I'm more drawn to the naval air operations in the Pacific. Thus, I am planning a game scenario that involves Grumman Wildcats and Mitsubishi G4M1 'Betty' bombers.

Since I have more time than money (and I seem to enjoy the torture), I'm building paper models. I found a Betty model on the Ecard Models website; it is (I think) in the colors of the Betty that carried Admiral Yamamoto on the day he was shot down. I want to re-color this model to represent something closer to the a/c which were engaged by Lt Edward 'Butch' O'Hare on the day he shot down five Bettys and thus saved the USS Lexington from attack.

However, I'm completely clueless as to the markings on the Bettys other than the placement of the Japanese national insignia. I'd like a/c on both sides to be historically accurate as much as possible as this is an enjoyable and educational aspect of WoG.

Having said that, in the absence of good information, I can accept a/c markings that may not be strictly historical. I would settle for generic Betty markings if that is all I can get for those particular planes. But the more unique the markings, the more interesting the models.

Can any forum members suggest a good online resource for Betty colors and markings?

The official painting thread is a good resource, I know teaticket and dak21 try to be faithful to historical plane schemes: official mitsubishi G4M2 Betty

For books, any of the Michael Claringbould are great (Pacific Profiles or Pacific Adversaries).

Vallejo's "official" guide for their paint line:
    https://acrylicosvallejo.com/wp-cont...ejo-colors.pdf

Full-spectrum WWII air and sea color reco's usng Vallejo compiled by an old Axis & Allies buddy:
    http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=427879
    Weeds used to by our King of Custom Painters on War at Sea.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	betty_bomber_20feb42.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	335529

An amazing photo of a Betty going down on February 20, 1942. The plane, from the 4th Kokutai (Air Group) was shot down while attacking the USS Lexington. I'd love to know the tail number.

Similar Missions

1. WGSF Official Mitsubishi G4M2 Betty painting thread
    By Teaticket in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 01-29-2021, 16:00
  2. G4M1 Betty Arcs/Gunnery question
    By Dak21 in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-17-2021, 09:52
  3. Modeling a Mitsubishi G4M1 in 1/200
    By BB401 in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 5