Ares Games

Thread: First ever purchase - Where do I go from here?

Question First ever purchase - Where do I go from here?

So taken by the enthusiasm I purchased a couple of Shapeways models and now I have a ton of doubts about where to go from the moment the box will arrive
    While I have a few modelist friends to guide me through the painting and decorating process, my question is - how do I go about finding/fabricating the base and the manouvering deck for my own Ww1 minis?
    Do you old hands have any tried and tested tips or can you direct me towards the best possible options?
    Thank you in advance!

Regarding flight stand base pieces, I recently began making bases from 2mm plexiglas sheets purchased online. For the pegs I'm using 3mm (or 1/8 inch) outside diameter styrene tubing, also purchased online. The process of making the plexiglas bases is simple and quick, and requires only basic hand tools. The plexiglas bases I'm using for my WW2 aircraft. For WW1 a/c, I'm going to make bases from 2mm or 3mm birch plywood I can buy locally at a craft shop. I'm thinking I will use a wood burning pen to mark the firing arcs, then apply a light stain followed by a coat of varnish.

Here is my thread about making plexiglas bases:
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ht-stand-bases

Valerio,

There are a number of sources for bases. Firstly Litko do a generic acrylic base with the firing arcs but no data. Pretty soon Xen will be providing pre-cut acrylic bases which have all the data etched onto them. Thread is here: https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...cessories-line

As for manoeuvre decks there are some ideas in the files section and occasionally some members have some for sale. However you can easily and cheaply make your own. Most of the decks are avaiable on this link:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/css...of_Glory_Decks

A how to is available here:

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...-prints-How-To

Hope that helps but feel free to ask more if needed.

I know this wasn't the focus of your post, but take a look at the model and surface preparation thread that is stickied in this forum.

And if you're using Wings of Glory style mounting, you can buy plane pegs from Shapeways or -- if you've got access to a 3D printer -- download and print them yourself. You'll also find threads on other mounting methods scattered about.

I don't know which maneuver decks you're interested in but I got one copy each of the A, B, C & D decks when I purchased the Wings of War Famous Aces kit. I also got one copy each of the E, F, G & H decks when I purchased their Watch Your Back kit. You also receive numerous airplane cads. I just checked the Italian eBay site and both kits are for sale there now. Depending on what decks you need and your budget that may be an option for you.

As a fanatic who has acquired far too many planes, I feel I should point out that you don't need a 'base+pegs+manoeuvre deck' panoply for every single model you own - only for every model you can put on the table at any one time! All other panoply bits are supernumerary...

For instance, I have more than 50 different Fokker D.VIIs, but it would be insane to try to acquire 50 'L' decks; I could never use that many at once!
    If you can tailor your needs to your likely usage, then you can save yourself a lot of time, money and web-searching!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by CrashCraig View Post
    I just checked the Italian eBay site and both kits are for sale there now. Depending on what decks you need and your budget that may be an option for you.
    Thanks Craig, I'll look it up and eventually aim my purchases based on availability of manoeuvre decks in the future rather than the other way around!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    If you can tailor your needs to your likely usage, then you can save yourself a lot of time, money and web-searching!
    That's a valid point Tim - nevertheless my storage solution and my latent OCD about having all bits in order are such that I would prefer to have every plane with its accessories (save the pegs probably) so that I can just pull out whichever I want and use it right away without scavenging for another plane I know I'm weird

Quote Originally Posted by Hu Rhu View Post
    Valerio,

There are a number of sources for bases. Firstly Litko do a generic acrylic base with the firing arcs but no data. Pretty soon Xen will be providing pre-cut acrylic bases which have all the data etched onto them. Thread is here: https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...cessories-line

As for manoeuvre decks there are some ideas in the files section and occasionally some members have some for sale. However you can easily and cheaply make your own. Most of the decks are avaiable on this link:

A how to is available here:

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...-prints-How-To

Hope that helps but feel free to ask more if needed.
    hello, is there the same folder for WWII somewhere? thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Paukenschlager View Post
    ...nevertheless my storage solution and my latent OCD about having all bits in order are such that I would prefer to have every plane with its accessories (save the pegs probably) so that I can just pull out whichever I want and use it right away without scavenging for another plane I know I'm weird
    Store the planes and accessories separately, you'll get more planes in that way; pick the plane, select the deck, base & pegs from another storage solution, might be easier than getting all of what is relatively rare & expensive now.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

That's a valid point Tim - nevertheless my storage solution and my latent OCD about having all bits in order are such that I would prefer to have every plane with its accessories (save the pegs probably) so that I can just pull out whichever I want and use it right away without scavenging for another plane I know I'm weird
    I had similar thoughts when first starting my collection but it quickly becomes clear that keeping it all together per plane becomes inefficient the larger one's collection grows, so here is my solution. Many vets on the forum have blazed this trail.

I use telescoping magnet tools instead of pegs as I got tired of the pegs separating all the time when moving planes. They're secured under the base by a machine screw and can be taken apart later to store. I use generic bases with firing arcs for most scouts and two-seaters as all the needed game information is on the Plane card. Then I have some custom bases with firing arcs for certain planes, but they can all be used with the telescoping magnet tool stands, which are used with gimbal mounts for fancy flying.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1021230043.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	335399

Click HERE for a quick how to for making those bases with the telescoping magnet tools.

If you have planes other than ARES (Shapeways?) and need different decks, I have scanned them all. If you don't mind making your own PM me with an email address and any deck you need and I'll send it to you.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Warren
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Click HERE for a quick how to for making those bases with the telescoping magnet tools.

If you have planes other than ARES (Shapeways?) and need different decks, I have scanned them all. If you don't mind making your own PM me with an email address and any deck you need and I'll send it to you.

Thank you! Just getting back into this part of the hobby, and I'll run this ides by my local group.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Warren
    Sorties Flown

As a fanatic who has acquired far too many planes,...

For instance, I have more than 50 different Fokker D.VIIs,...!
    Eureka! I have found the lunatic asylum! Now I know that I am absolutely in the RIGHT PLACE!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Warren
    Sorties Flown

So taken by the enthusiasm I purchased a couple of Shapeways models and now...
    I just ordered a dozen today, February 10. First time ordering from Shapeways. Won't be manufactured until February 29, so I won't see them until March. Very curious about how these will look. Ordered full color nylon prints.

Quote Originally Posted by Warpup View Post
    Eureka! I have found the lunatic asylum! Now I know that I am absolutely in the RIGHT PLACE!
    I should have mentioned before. Check out the Hobby Room for the Shapeways list with hotlinks. HERE.

You are not alone in this respect Valerio. I have every aircraft in its own foam tray with cards base,including one of Keith's graduated bases on top of the Wings one and a set of four pegs.

No OCD there then! Just good house keeping.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Paul, did you get started on painting these? If so I'm curious to see your work! Post up some photos!

-Chuck

So taken by the enthusiasm I purchased a couple of Shapeways models and now I have a ton of doubts about where to go from the moment the box will arrive
    While I have a few modelist friends to guide me through the painting and decorating process, my question is - how do I go about finding/fabricating the base and the manouvering deck for my own Ww1 minis?
    Do you old hands have any tried and tested tips or can you direct me towards the best possible options?
    Thank you in advance!
    “Flying is hours and hours of boredom sprinkled with a few seconds of sheer terror!” Gregory “Pappy” Boyington, USMC”

Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasChuck View Post
    Paul, did you get started on painting these?
    Alas not yet, Chuck! Having just moved into a new house and a recent promotion on the field to Dad left me with little time and space for arts and crafts - I still manage to play a game of WoG in the evening tho, sacrificing some time!

You have 50 DVII’s?! I was psyched when I just got my second (And it was Goerring, pretty sure not the bravest of aces)

Quote Originally Posted by Frankywithay View Post
    You have 50 DVII’s?! I was psyched when I just got my second (And it was Goerring, pretty sure not the bravest of aces)
    Anyone who flew combat for two years, claimed 22 kills (most of which have since been confirmed) and rose to command JG.1 has to have been pretty brave, even if he's considered a detestable man.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Anyone who flew combat for two years, claimed 22 kills (most of which have since been confirmed) and rose to command JG.1 has to have been pretty brave, even if he's considered a detestable man.
    Undoubtedly a brave fighter - Nevertheless I believe he would have been forgotten had it not been for his postWW1 activities, like many other more successful aces which we rarely hear or read about.
    For comparison, think of Berthold: a way more remarkable man and warrior, but sadly pretty unknown to the general public.
    In any case, what counts is that both have a WoG mini we can play with!

Just looked up a little on him….Berthold sounds like the original Die Hard pilot.

66 now, but my production has slowed right down

Just looked up a little on him….Berthold sounds like the original Die Hard pilot.
    They didn't call him "The Iron Man" for nothing!

The bio on Berthold is well done if you want an even deeper dive.

https://www.amazon.com/Iron-Man-Bert.../dp/1908117370

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    And a decent bio on Goerring with a focus mainly on his WWI years:

https://www.amazon.com/Herman-Goring...dp/1906502668/

Quote Originally Posted by predhead View Post
    The bio on Berthold is well done if you want an even deeper dive.

https://www.amazon.com/Iron-Man-Bert.../dp/1908117370
    I ordered it a couple of days ago, just waiting for the courier to deliver it. It's my third book by Kilduff, his biography of Von Richthofen was the first "serious" book on WW1 aviation I read (I must have been 19) and loved it. On the contrary, his book on Bishop didn't really excite me - feels unnecessarily apologetic IMHO.
    I'm crossing fingers for "Iron Man" to be as good as the one on the Red Baron - certainly Berthold's life is worth of an adventure novel!

Quote Originally Posted by predhead View Post
    And a decent bio on Goerring with a focus mainly on his WWI years:

https://www.amazon.com/Herman-Goring...dp/1906502668/
    Cor blimey, Darryl, thanks for the link, but not at that price ! I picked up Iron Man for less than a tenner, rrp is twice that, so maybe I'll see fat Hermann's book cheap one day too.
    PS. I found it's £10.39 on Amazon UK - currently that's about $13+ !
    Last edited by flash; 04-04-2024 at 08:22.

dont feel bad valerio. im the same way, ive got to have cards/bas/pegs for every aircraft. luckily the storage solution i use kr multicase supports this.

66 now, but my production has slowed right down

i knew there was a reason i liked you tim! while ill never have 60+. im definitely a fokker dVII fanatic!

Similar Missions

1. 3rd party bases for purchase?
    By Jager in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-20-2023, 12:40
  2. National CARD EXCHANGE / SWAP / PURCHASE
    By Hedeby in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 11-06-2018, 11:38
  3. National Latest Purchase from Tesco
    By Flying Helmut in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 19