Ares Games

Thread: Gotha-USN Rough Reception

Default Gotha-USN Rough Reception

The second game with Irish John and I put us over the North Sea on a joint action against a Gotha bomber returning from a raid on England. We used Carl_Brisgamer’s WGF Scenario FB02-A Rough Reception but Irish John and I each were flying US Navy Hanriot float planes, A-firing, as the pursuers. The Gotha flies straights each phase to get across the sea. To compensate for the increased firepower of the pursuers, I shortened the length that the Gotha had to traverse to reach safety.

Both Hanriots close on the Gotha but not in close coordination.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3623.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	188.1 KB 
ID:	334976

The Gotha strikes first, causing 2 points of damage on Irish John plus right rudder damage.

Name:	IMG_3624.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	334977

More withering firing from the Gotha against both float planes sets Irish John’s Hanriot on fire and my Hanriot smoking with airframe parts flying everywhere. But Irish John does return fire to good effect.

Name:	IMG_3626.jpg 
Size:	194.2 KB 
ID:	334978

The Gotha pours more shots into Irish John.

Name:	IMG_3627.jpg 
Size:	172.7 KB 
ID:	334979

Irish John scores another impressive hit on the Gotha resulting in a wounded front gunner. Too bad, a wounded pilot would have slowed down the bomber or better yet, a wounded rear gunner would have silenced it.

Name:	IMG_3628.jpg 
Size:	167.7 KB 
ID:	334980

Still aflame Irish John gets in the Gotha blind spot and pours more shots into it but not as devastating as earlier.

Name:	IMG_3630.jpg 
Size:	166.2 KB 
ID:	334981

I finally get into the war but I'm blocked by Irish but fortunately received no damage.

Name:	IMG_3631.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	181.8 KB 
ID:	334982

I finally get my shooting arc open but don’t do much to the Gotha who continues to pick on Irish John scoring 4 more damage points on his Hanriot.

Name:	IMG_3632.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	181.7 KB 
ID:	334983

Both Hanriots fire on the Gotha with Irish causing an engine hit and adding to its damage total but the bomber is nearing the coast and German refuge. At this point we ended the game with the Gotha escaping to the Kaiser’s airfields.

Name:	IMG_3633.jpg 
Size:	175.5 KB 
ID:	334984

My Hanriot had little damage due to not getting into the war soon enough.

Name:	IMG_3635.jpg 
Size:	182.2 KB 
ID:	334985

The Gotha sustained 17 damage points so was still airworthy.

Name:	IMG_3636.jpg 
Size:	200.7 KB 
ID:	334986

Irish John bore the brunt of the Gotha’s firepower and onboard fire surviving with one damage point left.

Name:	IMG_3637.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	196.5 KB 
ID:	334987

A valiant fight by Irish John who pretty much single-handedly took on the Gotha. I will mention that to our superiors. Assuming he makes it back to base!

Fun looking game! Thanks for sharing!

Nice AAR, Craig Those Gothas are tough, you needed your new Felixstowe

Nice game, nearly got the blighter, maybe shouldn't have shortened his run !
    I finally get into the war but I'm blocked by Irish but fortunately received no damage.
    You can fire into and out of an overlap so you should have got a shot there - especially if he can shoot you !
    "If two airplane cards overlap, neither of the two airplanes can fire at each other until they move and don’t overlap any more.
    They can, however, still fire at other planes. Other planes can shoot at the overlapping planes using the normal line of sight rules.
    The overlapping planes do not block each others line of sight, or, the line of sight of planes firing at them." (2014 RAP p9)
    Last edited by flash; 01-23-2024 at 02:21.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Nice game, nearly got the blighter, maybe shouldn't have shortened his run !

You can fire into and out of an overlap so you should have got a shot there - especially if he can shoot you !
    "If two airplane cards overlap, neither of the two airplanes can fire at each other until they move and don’t overlap any more.
    They can, however, still fire at other planes. Other planes can shoot at the overlapping planes using the normal line of sight rules. The overlapping planes do not block each others line of sight, or, the line of sight of planes firing at them." (2014 RAP p9)
    Thanks Dave. Good to know

A desperate effort to bring down the Giant which very nearly worked.
    Well done the lads.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post

They can, however, still fire at other planes. Other planes can shoot at the overlapping planes using the normal line of sight rules. The overlapping planes do not block each others line of sight, or, the line of sight of planes firing at them." (2014 RAP p9)
    Thanks for your feedback, Dave. I usually learn something new.
    I'm not sure what we play on overlaps, so I'll have to look in the book at the place you have quoted.

Great seaside action.
    Love the Hanriot floatplanes.

Gothas can be a tough battle as you showed us. Nice Hanriots.

Similar Missions

1. WGF Scenario FB02 – A Rough Reception
    By Windy Jack in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-25-2021, 15:19
  2. A Rough Reception - but for whom?
    By Windy Jack in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-16-2016, 19:54
  3. Flashes Rough Reception
    By flash in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-19-2016, 00:28
  4. Multiplayer: WGF FB02 - A Rough Reception (WGF historical scenario for 3 players)
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-18-2016, 10:37
  5. So... rough summer!
    By vacca rabite in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-02-2011, 21:54