Ares Games

Thread: how to clean up the message boxes ???

Default how to clean up the message boxes ???

Gents,
    the title says it all... :"how to clean up the message boxes ???"
    I tried and already deleted all my sent messages
    And even then i can't send any new messages because my boxes are fulll.
    Help wanted pleasė anyone ??
    cheers
    Guus :salute

Guus
    Do you have a Gold or Silver account that recently renewed?

If so contact Keith (Oberst Hajj)

Several of us have had similar situations over the last few months.

If not - check the bottom of your Inbox page - it will show how many messages you have and what space you have left.

I agree with Pete. It looks as if your Gold membership has not been recorded as renewed.
    Keith will sort it out for you.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

What He Said!

Recently, around the time of the Renewal of your account, the site has reset many people to Basic, with only 20 messages capacity!

It happened to me, among others.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

OK, thanks all for the answers And yes I'm a gold member. I can't pm Keith though because of full boxes. What a pity i deleted my total "sent"box.

Can anybody do me a favor and ask Keith to sort me out. I paypalled my contribution of US$ 60 on September 19th, 2023.
    Thanks in advance,
    Guus

Guus- Just PMed Keith on your issue. Hope it's resolved soon.

All I need is Keith to OK it and I can do the donkey work for him if he likes. What we really need to do is get to the bottom of why it keeps playing silly Bs.

Rob.

Seems a lot of us are having this happen when renewal time comes around. Happened to me in October. Keith should set you straight.

Thanks guys for all you're doing
    I hope Keith will react soon(ish)
    cheers,
    Guus

I've been hit too. "562 messages saved of 100 allowed." I suspect the last database restore un-deleted a lot of our deleted messages.

Nothing happened yet
    Does Keith live in the area where snow and storms are having a ball ?

Yeah, Colorado. And as I recall he's got a ton of balls in the air on other projects keeping his bills paid, the Aerodrome is a sideshow and not as prominent as it was when Aerodrome Accessories was keeping it afloat and we had more frequent releases.

Combine that with the nuisances of every time abandonware vBulletin takes a crap it's a nuisance and a half taking a week to get things running again... I wouldn't be happy about it but could understand why if he were to pull the plug.

Idea, Keith... one of my gun forums is similarly on vBulletin and getting ready to move to Discord, it's supposedly an easy database migration and open-source. Possibly worth looking into? Or maybe a GoFundMe or Kickstarter to finance moving to XenForo?

Guss, I did not see this thread until Rob gave me the heads up about it. The issue was the renewal problem we are having. I've updated your account and you should be good to go now.

As to the problem as a whole, it is the issue of our site running on old software that is no longer supported and does not play nicely with the newer sever side software the site is hosted on. The hosting company I use was great back in the day, but has since gone down hill quite a bit. Several years back I looked into moving to a new host and switching to XenForo to run the forums. With the amount of space we need and the size of our forums, the expense was very high (and it already cost a couple of thousand dollars to keep the current sites running). I don't have the skills to migrate the forum and databases over and I don't have the time to learn either. That means I'd need to find someone that could do it and that I could trust to do it right. I'm not even sure what that would cost.

Keith, have you looked at Invision? https://invisioncommunity.com/news/c...mmunity-r1131/

Hence my proposal of setting up a Kickstarter or GoFundMe to fund the move, it's only fair that us who benefit from these resources chip in some toward their preservation and sustainment.

I agree DB. We all should play our part. When I looked at becoming a Gold member, I considered the price of my monthly wargames magazine which I probably had two or three articles in which I was interested each issue. By discontiuing that and subscribing to the Drome I could get a couple of hours worth of interactive enjoyment each day for the price of a couple of hours of my mag once a month.
    No brainer.

Rob.

Any idea of a ballpark cost for having someone transfer the site to another platform, so we know roughly what we are looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Guss, I did not see this thread until Rob gave me the heads up about it. The issue was the renewal problem we are having. I've updated your account and you should be good to go now.
    Thanks for the update Keith ! Everything is back to normal.
    Please keep up the good work.
    cheers,
    Guus

ps
    To all of you who reached out with suggestions and help
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

Ive started a new thread to discuss updating the site here.

Similar Missions

1. WGF FREE! Boxes, Boxes and more Boxes, and some inserts too...
    By STICK in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-05-2017, 12:53
  2. The Six Boxes . . .
    By clipper1801 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-13-2016, 18:29
  3. Trench Busters AAR I: A Clean Slate
    By Bobit in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-13-2014, 02:46
  4. Message from G.H.Q.