Ares Games

Thread: First attempts at printing

Default First attempts at printing

This week I finally got around to using my 3D printer in anger for the first time. Having previously run some calibration prints I decided to try something big. It did not go so well:

At some point relatively early in the print the raft began to unstick from the build plate, though it did hang on sufficiently that after two hours I only had to prize the deformed Sunderland off the build plate and not an overcured Sunderland pancake from the VAT. I think the raft design generated by the slicer was not well designed as it had raised edges to assist removal and was a solid plate potentially allowing uncured resin to be trapped underneath- ideal for peeling off.

In disappointment I set about preparing another file and noticed the slicer interface looked different - turns out it had been updated but I used an old version for the Sunderland. The new version uses a flat raft with drain holes which stuck perfectly so just over an hour later I had a pair of B-24s.

There is a slight kink in the vertical stabs where they join the horizontal stab, I assume they must bend slightly when printing as they are not laterally supported until they reach the horizontal stab. One to fix for next time but I still think they are tabletop worthy and I'm amazed at the level of detail achievable with my cheap setup.

Printer: Anycubic Mono 4k with standard resin
    Files: Roman Troyan (planeprinter)

You "speak in tongues", sir.......

...but the results look good to me!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Mmmmm, Liberators. Looks really good Mark.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 07-19-2024 at 06:59.

Also looks play worthy to me Mark.
    Very impressive for a new venture.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Nice work on the B24s Mark.

That looks like a good result for your first proper print.

I'd suggest removing the supports using the "hot water" method before you cure them, it makes it much easier

go big or go home it is i guess! at least the libs turned out alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    This week I finally got around to using my 3D printer in anger for the first time. Having previously run some calibration prints I decided to try something big. It did not go so well:

At some point relatively early in the print the raft began to unstick from the build plate, though it did hang on sufficiently that after two hours I only had to prize the deformed Sunderland off the build plate and not an overcured Sunderland pancake from the VAT. I think the raft design generated by the slicer was not well designed as it had raised edges to assist removal and was a solid plate potentially allowing uncured resin to be trapped underneath- ideal for peeling off.

In disappointment I set about preparing another file and noticed the slicer interface looked different - turns out it had been updated but I used an old version for the Sunderland. The new version uses a flat raft with drain holes which stuck perfectly so just over an hour later I had a pair of B-24s.

There is a slight kink in the vertical stabs where they join the horizontal stab, I assume they must bend slightly when printing as they are not laterally supported until they reach the horizontal stab. One to fix for next time but I still think they are tabletop worthy and I'm amazed at the level of detail achievable with my cheap setup.

Printer: Anycubic Mono 4k with standard resin
    Files: Roman Troyan (planeprinter)
    Are you using the Anycubic workshop? If so download the free version of Chitubox basic. It is all you need and the interface is just about the same as Workshop. I have had great success since I switched from Anycubic workshop. Chitubox has a good default setting for your printer included.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B-24d.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	340917. This is the same file using Chitubox to slice. Good Luck and if you have any questions I will be more than happy to help.

Looking great Mark, especially for newly attempted printing!

And yes to echo Tim, you do speak in funny riddles...

Well done, Mark, you won't know until you try it. Look forward to seeing future results on the table one day.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Nice work, remember when we had to rely on Airfix kits?
    Seems like I grew up in 1/72nd scale, lol

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Similar Missions

1. Home 3D Printing
    By David Manley in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-31-2020, 10:25
  2. 3D printing....
    By Wodin in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-29-2019, 04:37
  3. Early stealth attempts
    By zenlizard in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-29-2017, 09:06
  4. Printing Problems
    By Baxter in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-15-2012, 10:20
  5. General For those who want to do their own 3D printing.
    By smitty_au in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-04-2012, 05:19