Ares Games

Thread: Donwings of Glory - brief adventures with AI art for WoG

Default Donwings of Glory - brief adventures with AI art for WoG

So, thinking that it would be interesting to have some sort of celebratory poster advertising 10 years of Doncaster Con, I thought I would have a tinker with DALL-E to see what it could come up with.

I started with a very simple prompt covering only the key aspects that I wanted a "poster for the 10th Anniversary of the Doncaster Wings of Glory convention"

The first attempts seemed to focus on the wings part and held Doncaster as synonymous with the UK.

Though it did make the aircraft connection

And the world war connection

So I then asked DALL-E to add more planes, and it did....a lot more planes.

Some were almost recognisable, such as this Spitfire/yak/stuka hybrid

Another reasonable attempt, though not at spelling

I then realised it was very WW2 RAF focussed. What if I ask to add some Germans and some WW1 aircraft.

Behold! The Dings of Glorfy convention, apparently it also dragged in the idea we will be at the football ground?

The attempts to add Germans were not so great:

Interesting excercise Mark.

Finally I realised I'd completely forgotten the boaty boys, so I asked DALL-E to add some warships from the Napoleonic era.

Some attempts were not that great- definitely the wrong era for some of the boats

Some very odd flying boats:

Definitely the wrong boat to plane ratio:

And back to industrial Victorian London

All in all an interesting exercise that took longer to upload and post here than to achieve in the first place. I could definitely see DALL-E being a useful tool to generate ideas for this sort of thing, but not yet at the stage where it actually produces a useable end product. That said, maybe with some more specific prompting...

Well, they reckon monkeys with typewriters could recreate Shakespeare's works, so AI monkeys with computers should be able to knock out a poster eventually.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Very interesting experiment. With enough specific prompts you might get something you could use.

When you entered the first prompt, how much time was required to produce the poster?

Besides posters, what can DALL-E do for WoG gamers?
    Last edited by Larry R.; 11-05-2023 at 06:57.

With the stuff you have, and a bit (or a lot) of Photoshop, I can see some awesome results.

Want me to take any of the above, and re-letter them for more appropriate titles? Perhaps change some of the elements for other examples?

PS: Like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Doncaster Wings 2024b.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	332939

Only partially edited...
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 11-05-2023 at 17:00.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by Larry R. View Post
    Very interesting experiment. With enough specific prompts you might get something you could use.

When you entered the first prompt, how much time was required to produce the poster?
    I was being a cheapskate and using Bing AI search/chat which uses GPT-3 and DALL-E 2, there are newer versions of both which may yield better results. Bing limits any single interaction to 5 prompts before you are forced to start over, so it's hard to iteratively build on the prompts.

The generation was in the order of 30s to 1 min and it normally generates 4 images each time.

Some of the offerings on DALL-E 3 through Microsoft Bing:

Wings of Glory; WW1; WW2; Convention;

Name:	OIG(1).jpg 
Size:	161.5 KB 
ID:	332940

Name:	OIG(2).jpg 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	332941

Name:	OIG.jpg 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	332942

Note: I didn't specify a country, but it seemed to focus on the UK and USA.
    Mike

Looks like we have some mileage in this area chaps.
    Thanks to Woof for the initial research.
    Flash for his insight into an infinite amount of time and monkeys, plus Old Guy's suggestion for developing a working solution.
    I look forward to seeing the final outcome, from three intelligent members who in no way shape or form resemble a cartload of monkeys.

Rob.

Name:	th-2284050854.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	332943
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Looks like we have some mileage in this area chaps.
    Thanks to Woof for the initial research.
    Flash for his insight into an infinite amount of time and monkeys, plus Old Guy's suggestion for developing a working solution.
    I look forward to seeing the final outcome, from three intelligent members who in no way shape or form resemble a cartload of monkeys.

Rob.

Name:	th-2284050854.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	332943

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    With the stuff you have, and a bit (or a lot) of Photoshop, I can see some awesome results.
    Yeah, the text is probably a relatively easy fix, but some of the other issues are less simple.
    I thought maybe try an easier task and have it draw mascots for the Ace of Aces.
    "Cartoon bulldog flying a Sopwith camel" actually produced something usable:

Though it also produced this monstrosity:

It definitely has an Anglo-American bias as "Eagle Flying a Red Fokker Triplane" gave this, along with various other planes with stars and bars.

I then figured maybe it would give me something more fitting if I asked for something unmistakably German. So I asked for an eagle in an Albatros DV with lozenge camo. And I got something just as American:

So then I just asked "can you make the eagle German?":

It definitely did!

Really like the mascot planes. They turned out nicely.

As for the poster, I redid the border corners in Art Deco wings, and added some Wings of Glory stuff, rather than just stars...

Name:	Doncaster Wings 2024d.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	332951
    Mike

Wow, very entertsining results! Still a way to go before carbon based life forms are out of work designing posters.

Fascinating!

Thanks to all involved for their efforts thus far.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

"Poster for "Wings of Glory" convention Doncaster England September 2024"

And one result was this:

Name:	DoncasterMusical.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	172.4 KB 
ID:	333002
    Wording edited, not much else...
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 11-07-2023 at 19:34.
    Mike

We should get a nice printed poster done and make it a limited edition available to the participants for a small fee.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Really like the mascot planes. They turned out nicely.

As for the poster, I redid the border corners in Art Deco wings, and added some Wings of Glory stuff, rather than just stars...

Name:	Doncaster Wings 2024d.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	332951
    This one is actually pretty good. This is really an interesting forum thread.

I have a question about DALL-E AI.... are the graphics produced merely a compilation or amalgamation of images pulled from the internet? That, of itself, is fairly impressive since the finished work (the poster, in this case) is produced in seconds.
    Last edited by Larry R.; 11-08-2023 at 07:02.

When I look at the results, and a few are clipped rather strangely, it is obvious to me that the AI is picking a start image, and then dressing it up with a theme based on the search criteria requested.

Both the images I redid above were clipped at the top. I reconstructed the top of the English Angel poster. Then redid the border corners to (IMHO) better suit the theme (not the right period for WW1).

However, the process is awesome, and looking at the results, I can see that the AI is grabbing stuff from all over the place. Some appropriate, some not, some badly mashed together.

But, some of it is a fabulous starting point!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    We should get a nice printed poster done and make it a limited edition available to the participants for a small fee.

Rob.
    We could arrange for different Forum Callsigns on the bottom, to suit the purchaser? The deadline to print would have to be before the convention,,,
    Mike

These made me laugh out loud several times!!!

When I look at the results, and a few are clipped rather strangely, it is obvious to me that the AI is picking a start image, and then dressing it up with a theme based on the search criteria requested.

Both the images I redid above were clipped at the top. I reconstructed the top of the English Angel poster. Then redid the border corners to (IMHO) better suit the theme (not the right period for WW1).

However, the process is awesome, and looking at the results, I can see that the AI is grabbing stuff from all over the place. Some appropriate, some not, some badly mashed together.

But, some of it is a fabulous starting point!
    I think the freezer version of DALL-E that you can get through Bing is limited on resolution and aspect ratio so you always get a square picture that often has dead space/random background, or is clipped.

I'm not sure how much it is pulling from a previously "trained" dataset vs searching live but yes it is just pulling stuff based on those keywords and then mashing them together. I think you are probably right in that it seems to pick a base image and work from there.

I love the musical poster- though the faced are somewhat terrifying! Now if you could Photoshop in Hedeby and Niel!

"Tripods and Triplanes" didn't give good results.

After some peculiar results, I finally got something a bit closer to the right theme with: "war of the worlds tripods ww1 triplanes poster".

The edited result is here:

Name:	Tripods&TriplanesAI_Poster.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	265.2 KB 
ID:	333060

This required finding the Ares Games Tripods in 3D render online, adjusting a model to the right position, and copying it into Photoshop. Then, a bit more editing and adding the Ares Games "Tripods and Triplanes" logo, that I had on file.

PS: https://sketchfab.com/aresgames/collections/tripods-triplanes
    Mike

Doesn't seem to recognise triplanes and there are some odd looking machines in the pic. Mind you, they only managed to squeeze one tripe in on the original box art !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Fascinating!

Thanks to all involved for their efforts thus far.
    Like Tim says . Great to see some very interesting posters, didnt care much for the double decker London bus one , something more Doncaster, like rain or trains
    Might be nice to include the venue in the poster as it was a former RAF base and they have been very good to us over the years, as long as you dont speed in the car park

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

I'll definitely have a few more goes at the poster and see if we end up with a good base for some manual tweaks. OldGuys edits already look pretty good!

Seeing what else AI might be capable of, I suddenly had the idea of custom nose art. So here are a few attempts based on forum usernames (no offence intended to those users involved!)

First up, our commonwealth comrade and illustrious artist:

First attempt was pretty good, though I then asked to make it Canadian and and add a flying hat. Again, not bad, though the art remains a bit large and flat. I'm surprised how reasonably it approximated a Lancaster though.

And of course the usual AI inability to grasp that people only have 4 fingers.

The next attempt was less successful, I think it just ignored the "art" part of nose art but picked up the nose.

A friendly reminder though and it did much better, though even frog hands are hard:

And so is spelling:

I was sure it must be able to achieve something for Tim, but the results weren't great, and everytime I asked it to add insignia to make it in anyway remotely German it assumed I was trying to commit a hate crime and refused.

I then had a go for our UK WingCo's personal transport, but it had trouble understanding what a Bristol (anything)was, most responses I got were vintage vans, though It did achieve this:

And finally some attempts for myself:

Though it also confused the concept slightly!

Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    ...... something for Tim, but the results weren't great, and everytime I asked it to add insignia to make it in anyway remotely German it assumed I was trying to commit a hate crime and refused.

Story of my life!!!

Some highly amusing results!

Many thanks for sharing them with us!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I love it! Thanks for sharing the hilarity my username and AI have caused!

Some of those pseudo bombers seem to have a very large number of guns...

Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    I'll definitely have a few more goes at the poster and see if we end up with a good base for some manual tweaks. OldGuys edits already look pretty good!

Seeing what else AI might be capable of, I suddenly had the idea of custom nose art. So here are a few attempts based on forum usernames (no offence intended to those users involved!)

First up, our commonwealth comrade and illustrious artist:

First attempt was pretty good, though I then asked to make it Canadian and and add a flying hat. Again, not bad, though the art remains a bit large and flat. I'm surprised how reasonably it approximated a Lancaster though.

And of course the usual AI inability to grasp that people only have 4 fingers.
    Any of these is worth a laugh! Thanks for posting.

I can understand the peace sign for a Canadian cartoon, but on a bomber? A bit inappropriate.
    Mike

Any of these is worth a laugh! Thanks for posting.

I can understand the peace sign for a Canadian cartoon, but on a bomber? A bit inappropriate.
    Well the motto for SAC is "Peace is our Profession", so....

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

maybe we need to start calling it artificial LACK fo intelligence lol.

Similar Missions

1. My 1/144 scale plane adventures!
    By ArkansasChuck in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-02-2024, 10:56
  2. National New Adventures
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 09-18-2019, 00:08
  3. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-08-2014, 00:02
  4. The Continuing Adventures of 'The Black Knight' & 'The Red Dragon'