Ares Games

Thread: WW2 models

Default WW2 models

I just found out that another game, Blood Red Skies, also makes miniatures. These are also in 1:200 scale. Has anyone purchased any to supplement their WW2 flight? It could be a way to get some older out of print minis and/or ones that never were made onto the table. This is a pic of one of the sets. they are expensive as you buy a squadron of them AND you can even buy decals to change the markings. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blood red skies.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	330058

Make a search, John, there were loads of threads on these when it first came out, with mixed reviews on the models if I recall.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

when I looked closer on the models, they do look inferior to the WOW models.

I also didn't know they come unpainted. that's a big downer. Oh well. (also looking at the much older posts)
    Last edited by LingSter; 08-20-2023 at 12:04.

I bought a couple sets and was not impressed. Wings planes are no question better. As you said, they are unpainted. AIM models are the way to go if you want to paint your own.

The early plastic ones are better to work with though tend to have some issues with accuracy and the panel lines are extremely large for the scale on many models. The newer resin releases seem to be more accurate but can require a fair amount of cleanup (injection tabs, flash etc) and can be very soft/flexible. They are relatively cheap though!

ive got a bazillion "in the pipeline" in varying states of completion. completed a boyington corsair that im happy with. of course you have to source base, pegs ,and cards. but its not insurmountable.
    one positive, all the cards are standard wog size so will make excellent backing for wog cards. and brs range sticks can easily be trimmed into half range wog rulers.
    Last edited by milcoll73; 08-22-2023 at 20:07.

I would say AiM is a superior product. Shipping cost probably make BRSs a better buy for those in the Eastern Atlantic countries, but if you're in the States (and possibly Canada) go with AiM, if he has what you want. Which is likely.
    While the casting quality of the Beaufighters I did this year was good (I didn't get out the ruler and check scaling), they are in pewter, and rather heavy for our bases.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Great presentation by Chee911sc of Blood Red Sky figures :
    Spitfire, Me Bf 109, Focke-Wulf 190, F4-u Corsair, P.51 Mustang, P.40 Warhawk

https://wingsofwar.1fr1.net/t2595-de...p-40-brs-a-wog

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6956.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	330560

I bought the Kate squadron box of 6 to flesh out my 4 AIM Kates. I must admit they are not bad but the AIM ones are better.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by monse View Post
    Great presentation by Chee911sc of Blood Red Sky figures :
    Spitfire, Me Bf 109, Focke-Wulf 190, F4-u Corsair, P.51 Mustang, P.40 Warhawk
    https://wingsofwar.1fr1.net/t2595-de...p-40-brs-a-wog
    Nice link Simon

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-06-2023, 10:20
  2. 1/144 Resin Models by AB Models
    By Karo7 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-22-2019, 19:30
  3. HBM Models
    By Honza in forum Hobby Room