Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Re-release of Aerodrome Accessories line

Oh thanks for the heads up. Fixed!

Any chance of Altitude glue being made available too?

Hi Evan, I would really like half a dozen Wings of Glory range rulers printed in clear acrylic if you can do those. That way it would be easier to see if we clipped an opponents base or not.

Great news, Evan - thanks for the update.

I'm sorely tempted to be one of your three guinea pigs, but I think I'll bow out in favour of others who have a greater need than myself.

Rest assured, I'll be back with a proper Tim-sized order when you are fully up and running!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I'd be up for a spot if there was one available.

Ello Evan

Message sent

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Hi Evan, I would really like half a dozen Wings of Glory range rulers printed in clear acrylic if you can do those. That way it would be easier to see if we clipped an opponents base or not.
    Sounds good!

Good question. Ill look into it

Almost ready to roll! Posting this while the 3 test orders engrave.

Here's a pic of a some testing, this is about 1/4th of the tests I made!

Name:  Screenshot 2024-01-09 at 11.40.51 pm.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  131.8 KB

Looking terrific!

Wow! These look great. They're items that are desparately needed!

Those look really nice! I really like the non dial ones.

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Those look really nice! I really like the non dial ones.
    Hands Off!!!!
    They're mine!!!!

I will stick with the dial ones thank you.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Hands Off!!!!
    They're mine!!!!
    I am sure he will make plenty for all.

Nice work Evan. The shakes of quite a few on here (maybe even me) are easing More power to your elbow

Thanks for the positive feedback guys

So, the ones with altitude printed on are some of my tests to match the original aerodrome accessories quality exactly. One of those is an original one from Keith, the others are slowly increasing the engraving quality until it matches. I have all the remaining stock Keith had and I will eventually list those for sale, but mostly i'm using them for comparisons. I am considering offering the exact original designs for those who want their new bases to match any they've bought in the past, but I'm not convinced on that yet.

The base under the Pfalz is my version. It will have a 1.5 mm thick altitude dial in clear on top, which can be optionally used. This way each player can decide how to use the base, with or without the dial. but all bases will include the dial. When I send out the 3 test batches, part of the feedback Ill be looking for is how that dial works for you with your altitude pegs. Those pegs, given they've been manufactured across a 15 year period from multiple factories, they're a loose end.

Each dial will have the exact climb rate required for the plane. So a bit more customisation, and a simpler appearance.

Some pics of the design that will be sent in the 3 test orders.

I'm interested in feedback on the Altitude Dial. This is the dial that will go with all bases that have a climb rate of 3, any other climb rate base will have its own correct dial.
    It can simply be slid over the bottom altitude peg, or ignored if you don't want to use it.

Any initial feedback would be great!

Name:  IMG_1078.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  55.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_1079.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  57.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_1080.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  57.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_1081.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  57.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_1082.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  58.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_1083.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  57.1 KB

Looks OK to me. It keeps a simple note on how you are doing on your climb.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Looking good Evan

That is really nice! I like that Xen!

Nice one thanks guys Working on getting all Scouts available first, then working through the list of larger base planes. Looks like quite the mission!

Quote Originally Posted by Xen View Post
    Nice one thanks guys Working on getting all Scouts available first, then working through the list of larger base planes. Looks like quite the mission!
    Will you provide also anonymous bases with just fire cone/arrow/index?

Quote Originally Posted by hokusai View Post
    Will you provide also anonymous bases with just fire cone/arrow/index?
    What he said, as some will want bases for 'non-official' types - or, will you be able to offer custom marking for those, Evan ?
    Your climb marker looks a tidy solution btw.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

I would like to do all of the planes on the unofficial stats list prepared by members of this forum, it will take a while to work through all the different firing arc combinations. They naturally will be unofficial and superseded if Ares ever releases those types. I can also do a generic base of course.
    Last edited by Xen; 01-21-2024 at 22:29.

Some pics of the design that will be sent in the 3 test orders.

I'm interested in feedback on the Altitude Dial. This is the dial that will go with all bases that have a climb rate of 3, any other climb rate base will have its own correct dial.
    It can simply be slid over the bottom altitude peg, or ignored if you don't want to use it.

Any initial feedback would be great!
    Any chance for the dials to be available separately? Some of the climb rates in the game do not align with the historical performance, so having some flexibility would be grand!

The bases are looking excellent!!

I'll do all of the planes in the unofficial stats list prepared by members of this forum, it will take a while to work through all the different firing arc combinations. They naturally will be unofficial and superseded if Ares ever releases those types. But I can also do a generic base of course.
    Evan,

This thread where I worked with a Litko designer may help with some of the custom bases and firing arcs for unofficial planes for WGF.

The Climb Counter dials look fantastic!

I can see those helping to keep unstable stacks of the Games' cardboard counters off of the bases of planes in play.

As Darryl said, would they be available to purchase separately from new bases? I'd like a few (QUITE a few!!!) to "upgrade" my existing 'Nexus' and 'Ares' bases.

As Darryl said, would they be available to purchase separately from new bases? I'd like a few (QUITE a few!!!) to "upgrade" my existing 'Nexus' and 'Ares' bases.
    Yep, I would be ordering several!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by predhead View Post
    Any chance for the dials to be available separately? Some of the climb rates in the game do not align with the historical performance, so having some flexibility would be grand!

The bases are looking excellent!!
    Sure, makes sense to make those available!

The Climb Counter dials look fantastic!

I can see those helping to keep unstable stacks of the Games' cardboard counters off of the bases of planes in play.

Wow, yep, didn't forsee the potential popularity of these, does make sense though!

I was one of the lucky pilots that Evan used as a Guinea Pig and recently received 10 bases and climb counters from him. I have to say that the finished product is very good, at least as good as Keith's originals and much better than the standard Litko offerings. I chose not to have the altitude markings as I usually don't use them.

Evan made me a mix of standard official bases, with different armanent options where required, and some for unofficial aircraft such as the Sopwith Pup and Hansa-Brandenberg D.1. A shot of them in use is below.

Name:  20240129_121219.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  101.5 KB

They come with a simple peel off transparent film to protect the base. The center hole is a nice tight fit for the existing Ares pegs, although if inserted to its full length protudes very slightly on the underside. This is easily remedied by either not pushing the peg in fully or filing/trimming the peg by about 1mm.

The postage costs are very reasonable given that they are coming from Australia. I paid 20 AUD or about Ł10 for the 10 bases and they arrived within 5 working days with no additional customs fees. As for the cost per base, Evan is working out the actual cost but I understand it will be in a similar ballpark to what Keith charged.

Overall I have been very impressed with the product and Evan's communication as we worked through what was needed and my feedback to him. I would thoroughly recommend the bases and I will certainly be heading back for more once I have the Christmas toys painted.

That's good to know, Gary, thanks for the heads up.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Look really good those bases.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Look really good those bases.
    Oooh, yes!

I can see myself ordering a few of 'em when they're on general release!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

It's really nice to have the climb rate and flight ceiling information on the base as well.
    Last edited by Bunnyman; 01-30-2024 at 15:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Hu Rhu View Post

They come with a simple peel off transparent film to protect the base.
    So, in looking at the picture...you did nothing to mark the lines or the data, correct? The data is already that clearly etched into the base? I would rather not fiddle with using markers to fill in the etchings.

And they look really nice!!

Sure, makes sense to make those available!
    Fantastic to hear!!

I got some test ones in the mail as well. I will try and get some pictures up.

Nice looking bases GAry, you lucky dog!

I love the idea of the altitude discs. The ones on the photos of the N17 are great.

Quote Originally Posted by predhead View Post
    So, in looking at the picture...you did nothing to mark the lines or the data, correct? The data is already that clearly etched into the base? I would rather not fiddle with using markers to fill in the etchings.

And they look really nice!!
    The data is already marked on the base and the lines as you can see are crisp and clear. No fiddling required.

Any update on progress with these?

Yes, an update would be grand as I have many needs (beyond the mental ones)

Name:  oh-yes-tell-itu84f.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  48.0 KB

Refinement suggestion for the WGS side... if you decide to offer an "Advanced" version, maybe a slot on the left side with a tab-in "throttle lever" to indicate Low or High speed?
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. Aerodrome Accessories Aerodrome Accessories offers official accessories for Wings of Glory.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-17-2013, 13:32
  2. Aerodrome Accessories
    By John B in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-31-2012, 19:28
  3. WGF: Ares to release a new Rules and Accessories pack
    By jbmacek in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 121
    Last Post: 08-30-2012, 06:00
  4. Aerodrome accessories