Ares Games

Thread: Be2C Stats Question

Default Be2C Stats Question

I have just ordered some of those from RAF and was wondering ...... Wings of Linen has them using the XB deck and various different arcs of B fire power. On the No 6 Squadron card it shows no fire power at all. I am thinking that they usually had a rifle at least so how about a roll of a 12 or 20 sided dice to see if a B damage could be inflicted? Has anyone given any thought to this?

As I recall, Capt Duncan Grinnell-Milne wrote about his experiences flying the Maurice Farman MF11, and then the BE2c. He noted that rifles were, indeed, carried aloft in both types. He wrote that it was, however, nearly impossible to hit a fast moving plane from another fast moving plane when using a rifle. That being said, in terms of game play, a rifle armed BE2c would be interesting, if not very effective (as in real life).

This may be of some interest Gary.

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ght=Rifle+fire

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thank you for that fascinating link to older posts on this subject. I am thinking that I will go with the D12 dice roll that Zoe suggested in 2015. If a 1 comes up then a B damage card is given.

I'm looking forward to your AAR, Gary (hoping you post one); it will be interesting. I'm also working up a scenario that involves a lone BE2c; mine will be armed with a Lewis gun.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robin
    Sorties Flown

This is great stuff, as I have an interest in the very early days with rifles and rocks, etc. I'll give the D12 idea a go to, when I get some of the early planes done.

Just to reinforce the idea of the use of rifles as early aircraft armament, in his memoir Georges Thenault (commander of the Escadrille Americaine) notes that a single rifle armed a/c would patrol as much as thirty-five miles of the front. He does not say whether there were any engagements with enemy a/c. Nevertheless, it would be interesting to read an AAR involving the pre-machine gun period.

Hmmm... If it was nearly impossible to hit a fast moving plane with a rifle from another fast moving plane, then I'd go with drawing a damage card each time a shot was attempted. If the Boom card is drawn, shuffle it back into the deck and draw again for damage. Apply that to the target.

This takes the odds from impossible to one in 44. One in twelve is ridiculously high for a rifle shot.

And, most importantly, it gets the multi-facetted randomizer out of the game.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Thank you for that fascinating link to older posts on this subject. I am thinking that I will go with the D12 dice roll that Zoe suggested in 2015. If a 1 comes up then a B damage card is given.
    In light of Mike's comment about the odds using a D12 dice, would you like to use my D20 dice? Or you could go with his suggestion of drawing a card, making the odds 1 in 44.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Hmmm... If it was nearly impossible to hit a fast moving plane with a rifle from another fast moving plane...One in twelve is ridiculously high for a rifle shot...
    Agreed. Snake eyes on 2D20 might be more like it but that could be a really dull game, especially if you then drew a 'goose egg' !
    If you wanted to avoid the rolly things then you could use the solo AA method - draw an A damage card, if you get any special damage draw a B damage card for effect, applying whatever it is. Don't know what the odds are but some on here can work it out. At least it makes it another playable option using a WoG mechanic.
    Last edited by flash; 07-06-2023 at 02:28.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Agreed. Snake eyes on 2D20 might be more like it but that could be a really dull game, especially if you then drew a 'goose egg' !
    If you wanted to avoid the rolly things then you could use the solo AA method - draw an A damage card, if you get any special damage draw a B damage card for effect, applying whatever it is. Don't know what the odds are but some on here can work it out. At least it makes it another playable option using a WoG mechanic.
    Hmmm... Counting jams and explosions, that would be 15 in 35, or almost 50 percent?

Now that you mention it, there is that "playability and fun" thing to be considered. A few of the mechanics in this game are all about that, and fly in the face of realism. I guess that's why I don't play collision rules by the book.

There are enough suggestions above for a good house rule.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Similar Missions

1. unofficial stats question
    By malachi in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-16-2020, 05:47
  2. Heavy Raider Stats Question
    By mudvill9 in forum BSG: General Discussions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-02-2019, 07:42
  3. Question for unofficial stats gurus
    By BB401 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4