Ares Games

Thread: custom Litko bases

Default custom Litko bases

I used Litko's custom design tool to have some bases made and have some extras available (I'll be taking to Origins). I like to have the unofficial base size for planes of wingspan 16 - 20 meters, but there are others listed also.

Bigger news: Litko confirms folks can order these direct from them - custom orders are listed by name so refer to the Chris Weaver order 941897 and choose quantity and type by the plane name. Prices vary a little depending on quantity. Contact James at support@litko.zendesk.com

In the mockup bases are listed as a certain plane type for Litko ordering purposes but sometimes a base can be used for other planes. In the finished base photos I've listed other planes that can use a particular base.

These are 3mm acrylic with rounded corners and center 3mm hole. The etching is good and derives from the plane cards (see mockup). A Litko 2" peg is included but depending on how you use them, you can glue a WoG peg in the hole. I prefer telescoping stands attached with a machine screw so I drill out the underside of the hole a bit with a stepper bit to allow the screw head to be flush. For coloring the lines I like inexpensive .4mm felt pens as the goofs can be easily dabbed clean with a tissue. Fine point Sharpies leave more intense color but it's harder to clean any excess.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ChrisW-WoG-referecne-ART.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	327566

Name:	0614231544_HDR.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	327567

Name:	0614231549_HDR.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	327568

Name:	0614231550_HDR.jpg 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	327569

Name:	0616231106.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	327570

Wow, this is great! Thanks for sharing how folks can order these stands...I might have them do some for me that are not mentioned in your post. Good stuff!

Awesome idea and follow-thru Chris!

Thanks, guys. Happy with how they turned out

These are great, Chris

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Many thanks for posting this one Chris. Its well gone the time I should have worked out the details of all the bases I need. Shall definitely be using this info and note that Litko will ship worldwide too. Rep gun jammed right now but I'll be back. Well worthy.

Thanks, Mike. I asked about international shipping but that wasn't mentioned in the reply I got about how to order.
    I may be able to send some back with Tim if that works for those of you that see him often. I'm out of Bristol Scout, DD8 and Caudron R.11 already
    Last edited by malachi; 06-17-2023 at 12:48.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Many thanks for posting this one Chris. Its well gone the time I should have worked out the details of all the bases I need. Shall definitely be using this info and note that Litko will ship worldwide too. Rep gun jammed right now but I'll be back. Well worthy.
    Hello MIke

Any troubles with international shipping, have a word with Pendraken Miniatures over here. They're a Litko stockist

Hmmm... A Donnet-Denhaut DD.8? What is that?

Not many drawings online for this plane, and none I could find for the "triplace" (Pilot, front and rear gunners).

Found this image, though:

Name:	dd8-14.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	327578
    It was part of a web page for the DD.8. Note the dual MG mounts. This would give A/A damage stats, not the B/B listed on Wings of Linen. The firing arcs on the stand might be off, IMHO.

PS: Found a listing of versions, which suggested that a version called, "Donnet-Denhaut Hispano-Suiza 200 hp triplace" had twin MG mountings, but was later called a DD.9.
    Source: www.secretprojects.co.uk - Denhaut-Bellanger-Denhaut Aircraft Projects
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 06-17-2023 at 19:43.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

This is supposed to be a DD.8, and agrees with the 'Biplace' info on the web page source above:

Name:	Sdd1dd2.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	327579

This could be the DD.9:

Name:	135604-e059078dc6cffcd34f70fd93a7816530.png 
Views:	275 
Size:	157.4 KB 
ID:	327580
    Mike

I'm was going by Davilla/Soltan. The DD8 was a redesign of the DD2 with a 240hp Hispano Suiza engine, 3 crew (pilot and two gunners) and two 7.7mm MGs along with a radio.

The DD9 was based on the DD8 but had 4 MGs (pair in the nose and another behind the wing). It also had 4 crew: pilot, mechanic, and 2 gunners. The airframe was later enlarged and several more powerful engines used.

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    I'm was going by Davilla/Soltan. The DD8 was a redesign of the DD2 with a 240hp Hispano Suiza engine, 3 crew (pilot and two gunners) and two 7.7mm MGs along with a radio.

The DD9 was based on the DD8 but had 4 MGs (pair in the nose and another behind the wing). It also had 4 crew: pilot, mechanic, and 2 gunners. The airframe was later enlarged and several more powerful engines used.
    I'm gonna step away from this. Of my two sources of information, one supposedly French, neither agree. Also, neither mention a three-crew plane with a 240 hp engine.
    Mike

The initial interest was from the info of the Unofficial Aircraft Stats Committee but it's been quite a long time since I looked it over.

Name:	dd info.png 
Views:	249 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	327649

Firing arcs were based off a Zoe card that I expanded to 68x66. I don't know if there were any restrictions to the mounts but appear pretty wide here so I went with that.

Name:	Donnet-Denhaut DD8-Fr-Tri malachi.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	327650

See OP for images. I have these remaining (PM if interested):

2 x F2A Killingholme - $9 ea
    1 x Blackburn Kangaroo / Short Bomber - $6
    2 x Friedrichshaven FF33 / Fairey Campania / Short 184 - $4 ea
    3 x Friedrichshaven FF49 / Hansa Brandenburg W.19 - $4 ea
    2 x Lohner L/T - $3 ea

See OP for images. I have these remaining (PM if interested):

2 x F2A Killingholme - $9 ea
    1 x Blackburn Kangaroo / Short Bomber - $6
    2 x Friedrichshaven FF33 / Fairey Campania / Short 184 - $4 ea
    3 x Friedrichshaven FF49 / Hansa Brandenburg W.19 - $4 ea
    2 x Lohner L/T - $3 ea
    Bump. Still have these remaining if anyone needs custom bases.
    Also Litko-direct ordering info in the OP to obtain the others.

I may be able to send some back with Tim if that works for those of you that see him often.
    I do indeed have a few of these which I purchased from Chris @ 'Origins' - thanks, Chris!

I'll try to remember to bring 'em to UK shows for interested folks to have a look at them.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Default Litko custom bases

I used Litko's custom design tool to have some bases made and have some extras available (I'll be taking to Origins). I like to have the unofficial base size for planes of wingspan 16 - 20 meters, but there are others listed also.

Bigger news: Litko confirms folks can order these direct from them - custom orders are listed by name so refer to the Chris Weaver order 941897 and choose quantity and type by the plane name. Prices vary a little depending on quantity. Contact James at support@litko.zendesk.com

In the mockup bases are listed as a certain plane type for Litko ordering purposes but sometimes a base can be used for other planes. In the finished base photos I've listed other planes that can use a particular base.

These are 3mm acrylic with rounded corners and center 3mm hole. The etching is good and derives from the plane cards (see mockup). A Litko 2" peg is included but depending on how you use them, you can glue a WoG peg in the hole. I prefer telescoping stands attached with a machine screw so I drill out the underside of the hole a bit with a stepper bit to allow the screw head to be flush. For coloring the lines I like inexpensive .4mm felt pens as the goofs can be easily dabbed clean with a tissue. Fine point Sharpies leave more intense color but it's harder to clean any excess.

Name:	ChrisW-WoG-referecne-ART.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	327566

Name:	0614231544_HDR.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	327567

Name:	0614231549_HDR.jpg 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	327568

Name:	0614231550_HDR.jpg 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	327569

Name:	0616231106.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	327570

It's a pity that the Litko stockists over here have not got their act together. There are several things on offer in the States which are unobtainable in the U.K. Chris.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I was trying to send Chris heart felt thanks as I just ordered 9 bases for my Shapeways planes- I am perty much Fred Flinstone with tech and while I love this site I barely barley manage running through it…think I just sent a headline ��
    But- thank you Malachi for your work setting this up- my order went through super fast. All of you who put so much effort into the research and ‘unofficial’ stats make it so easy for the rest of us to expand our gaming exponentially!
    Bravo Malachi!

That's good to hear, Francis, glad your order went well
    I recently reordered a few more and had no problems also. PM me if you need any plane cards or a link to maneuver decks that you can print if you don't have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    It's a pity that the Litko stockists over here have not got their act together. There are several things on offer in the States which are unobtainable in the U.K. Chris.
    Rob.
    If you need some of those unobtanium objects, I know someone heading to the UK in September.

Any chance you have aFriedrichshafen F49 plane card?

There is an offer you can't refuse chaps.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    If you need some of those unobtanium objects, I know someone heading to the UK in September.
    I may PM you idc, Peter. Just checking with Chris first !
    Last edited by flash; 05-26-2024 at 04:00.

I could always bring pre-ordered stuff back with me on my return from 'Origins' in June - you'd have to get your orders in quick, though.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I could always bring pre-ordered stuff back with me on my return from 'Origins' in June - you'd have to get your orders in quick, though.
    I've spoken with Chris, he'll have a couple for you to bring back for me please

Quote Originally Posted by Frankywithay View Post
    Any chance you have aFriedrichshafen F49 plane card?
    I didn't but needed to make one anyway. I don't have amazing skills so this is best I could come up with for a 68x66mm:

Name:	FF49c_68x66.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	265.2 KB 
ID:	338998

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I've spoken with Chris, he'll have a couple for you to bring back for me please
    Yep, will do, Dave

Hey- thank you very much! Sorry for the delay on that… I’m useless with computers so very much appreciated!

Chris, these are cool. I might have added some to my recent purchase had I known. FYI, your inbox is full so I can’t send you a message.

Quote Originally Posted by callidusx3 View Post
    Chris, these are cool. I might have added some to my recent purchase had I known. FYI, your inbox is full so I can’t send you a message.
    Chris is having issues with his account right now. (Seems to hit all of us when membership renewal comes up )
    Post here what you would like and I can get what he has available from him and bring them back to Portland on my return from Origins.
    Pete

Thanks, Pete. Henry, I think I have:

1 x Ago C.I
    2 x Voisin Ca
    4 x HB-W29
    1 x DD8
    2 x Farman F40
    1 x Letord 2

Of course, any can be ordered using the email instructions in post #1; I recently did a few and prices are good imo.

Thanks, Pete. Henry, I think I have:

1 x Ago C.I
    2 x Voisin Ca
    4 x HB-W29
    1 x DD8
    2 x Farman F40
    1 x Letord 2

Of course, any can be ordered using the email instructions in post #1; I recently did a few and prices are good imo.
    Hi Chris,

Since I am trying to stick to Fall 1917, I will pass on those litko bases you personally have extras of.

Also, I received the planes a couple of days ago, thanks. The SE5a came with a crack on one propeller, but it didn’t break off, so gluing it back was easy enough.

What spare Fokker D.VII’s (late war, I know) do you have if any? And do you have Fucini’s Hanriot?

Henry R.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Chris is having issues with his account right now. (Seems to hit all of us when membership renewal comes up )
    Post here what you would like and I can get what he has available from him and bring them back to Portland on my return from Origins.
    Pete
    Thanks for the offer, Pete.

Henry,

Glad you could fix the prop - not sure what happened there but sadly not an uncommon occurrence. No spare D.IIs or Fucini Hanriots, I'm afraid.

PMs still buggered.

Similar Missions

1. Custom bases... Are they out of stock?
    By Captain Knowitall in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 02-19-2022, 20:14
  2. WGSF Litko Flight Bases
    By RiotInferno in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-14-2015, 17:32
  3. Custom Litko manoeuvre templates
    By ldsdbomber in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-15-2013, 04:05
  4. "Custom" Bases