Ares Games

Thread: OTT-EYM - Mission 7 – At Length Flash Did Cross an Albatros – February 19th 1917

Default OTT-EYM - Mission 7 – At Length Flash Did Cross an Albatros – February 19th 1917

Finally there was good news, the lower wing issue of the D.III had been resolved by Albatros, the design had been reinforced and that meant the Kogenluft were able to rescind the grounding order and the aircraft would soon become available once again.
    Informed by ‘Onkel’ that one such machine was available to them from the Armee Flug Park, Obltn Georg Pütter had made his way there and collected it personally, trading in one of their older, more worn, Halberstadts.
    That afternoon, having decided that there was no better test than combat Pütter had set off for the lines at the head of a flight comprising of Ltn William Pozner in a Roland D.II, above on his left and Ltn Franz Werner, in a second with a blue fuselage, a little higher, on his right.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_5147.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	226.2 KB 
ID:	327409

There was no sign of the enemy in the air and all went well until just after the formation made their first turn to run along the front lines

Name:	SAM_5146.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	204.0 KB 
ID:	327410

No one was sure where they’d come from but there they were, right behind them as the formation staggered through their turn..

Name:	SAM_5150.JPG 
Size:	237.5 KB 
ID:	327411
    N.17’s L-R: 2lt’s Evan Keel (#T); Percy Veer (#2); Will Power (plain silver); Baz Fife-Brand (PC10)

Pozner was the unlucky one as being on the inside of the turn he was running the slowest and easy prey for the incoming Englander.
    Lewis guns rattled from the Nieuport’s top planes as Veer & Power opened up and rounds thudded through his airframe; a moment later Keel added his effort and Pozner began to trail smoke.

Name:	SAM_5152.JPG 
Size:	227.4 KB 
ID:	327412

Name:	SAM_5153.JPG 
Size:	230.9 KB 
ID:	327413

On the right flank Baz found his target, a nice light blue job, was well out of reach. Overthinking it he expected his target might reverse so he feinted left hoping to whip back and catch him out. Fortunately, Power, in an attempt to get back on target also hauled left. Somehow the Germans managed to momentarily break contact.. (much careful measuring made but no shots)

Name:	SAM_5154.JPG 
Size:	237.8 KB 
ID:	327414

Baz turned right but found the sky empty, as did Keel & Veer but Power pressed on and caught Pozner’s Roland once more, this time damaging it’s engine. He didn’t get away completely unscathed though as Werner took his chance and pumped in a long range burst into his flank.

Name:	SAM_5156.JPG 
Size:	235.7 KB 
ID:	327415

Narrowly avoiding a collision with Pütter’s Albatros Power clears the danger zone. Baz pulls himself round to the left and gets an extreme range pop at the Albatros but frustratingly does no obvious damage to it. Veer reverses behind Baz & Keel commences a left turn.

Name:	SAM_5158.JPG 
Size:	234.9 KB 
ID:	327416

Pütter immediately reverses to go after Power and cops rounds from both Baz and Veer as he does so. Werner slips past them both, his eye on Keel’s tail perhaps but wary now that Power is heading toward him. Meanwhile, engine stuttering and trailing thin blue/white smoke, Pozner sets course for home in the background.

Name:	SAM_5159.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	238.3 KB 
ID:	327417

Looking at first as if he’d miss his chance, Power reverses his turn and pops a burst into Werner’s Roland, jamming his Lewis as he does so.

Name:	SAM_5161.JPG 
Size:	184.7 KB 
ID:	327418

Baz reckons with a little luck that he might catch Werner as he limps away; Veer turns after Pütter’s Albatros which narrowly avoids a close range exchange with Keel. Power maintains his turn behind Werner as he sorts out his jammed gun

Name:	SAM_5164.JPG 
Size:	237.5 KB 
ID:	327419

Veer holds his turn and gets an extreme range shot into the Albatros, Pütter is alarmed by the flames that belch from his engine, he was busy concentrating on the Nieuport ahead of him, putting a well-aimed burst into its rotary engine and saving Werner. He hadn’t realised there was a threat from behind.

Name:	SAM_5165.JPG 
Size:	239.9 KB 
ID:	327420

Power must head for the barn with his damaged engine. Veer gets a second shot into Pütter’s Albatros but causes no further damage. Keel reverses and Werner shapes up to meet him.

Name:	SAM_5167.JPG 
Size:	237.4 KB 
ID:	327421

Veer batters Pütter’s Albatros a bit more, Werner cannot help his leader as he’s met by Keel, exchanging blows as they pass by. Werner momentarily jams one of his guns and is clipped by a round in the exchange but being of a strong constitution he shrugs off the immediate effects. Keel’s Nieuport takes a heavy blow and suffers control damage.

Name:	SAM_5168.JPG 
Size:	216.3 KB 
ID:	327422

The combatants separate for a few seconds to lick their wounds, Power & Pozner make it out of the battle space without further damage.
    Baz turns back in hope of cutting off the German retreat.

Name:	SAM_5176.JPG 
Size:	233.4 KB 
ID:	327423

Name:	SAM_5180.JPG 
Size:	233.4 KB 
ID:	327424

Veer is caught as he pulls out of his reversal by Werner who damages the Nieuport’s rudder.

Name:	SAM_5181.JPG 
Size:	209.8 KB 
ID:	327425

Werner keeps his turn on and gets soon gets behind Veer, setting him ablaze at close range but losing one of his maxims in the process. Keel, his rudder issue now resolved got onto the Albatros but caused no damage. They pass close aboard and Keel is able to open up on Werner at close range as he’s setting about Veer.

Name:	SAM_5192.JPG 
Size:	215.5 KB 
ID:	327426

Baz making his approach, top of frame, spies Pütter’s flaming Albatros is clearly in trouble as it takes avoiding action in an attempt to dodge past him. The other’s part company to gather themselves for the next pass.

Name:	SAM_5193.JPG 
Size:	236.0 KB 
ID:	327427

Baz’s first effort at extreme range has no effect but his second effort as he turns after the damaged Albatros is much more effective..

Name:	SAM_5194.JPG 
Size:	228.9 KB 
ID:	327428

Name:	SAM_5195.JPG 
Size:	226.6 KB 
ID:	327429

Surprised and pleased with his victory, Baz is in trouble as Werner pounces on him from behind and damages his controls, fortunately his second effort does no further damage

Name:	SAM_5196.JPG 
Size:	238.5 KB 
ID:	327430

Name:	SAM_5197.JPG 
Size:	221.5 KB 
ID:	327431

Baz throws his Nieuport around and sees the German’s close below him – he mashes the trigger even as rounds slam through his fragile machine – his engine takes the brunt but it’s time to go home! In the background Veer’s heading his flaming machine for home, Keel has reversed course.

Name:	SAM_5201.JPG 
Size:	235.2 KB 
ID:	327432

The fire does for Veer’s machine and it falls away into enemy territory close behind the lines. (Kill to Werner).
    Keel reefs his T and turns toward Baz to cover him as trailing thin white smoke he must head for their home field

Name:	SAM_5202.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	216.1 KB 
ID:	327433

Just as well as Werner, hell bent on revenge, reversed course and is back on the tail of the young Australian’s Nieuport, landing another blow at long range

Name:	SAM_5203.JPG 
Size:	231.5 KB 
ID:	327434

Baz dives for home as Keel & Werner swap punches at close range – Keel is hit and he too must look to escape Werner’s attentions

Name:	SAM_5205.JPG 
Size:	222.9 KB 
ID:	327435

Bothe pilots reverse again, neither getting a shot and they rapidly part company. Werner realises his prey have escaped him and plots his course for home wondering how he will explain all this to Onkel.

Name:	SAM_5211.JPG 
Size:	223.1 KB 
ID:	327436

Butcher’s Tally:

Eagles:

Name:	SAM_5213.JPG 
Size:	227.8 KB 
ID:	327437

Obltn Georg Pütter: Alb D.III – SD-FT / 0 kills, 1 Probable (Power FRTB-E)
    Rolled 4 -1SD = 3 - Injured, skip D6 scenarios, rolled 1 = skip 1

Ltn William Pozner: Rol D.II – FRTB-E / 0 kills
    Rolled 3+1 = stuck the landing

Ltn Franz Werner: Rol DII (blue) RTB / WIA / 1 kill (Veer) & 2 probables (Baz FRTB-D & Keel FRTB-W)
    Rolled 9 +1RTB -1WIA = 9 - All well when you land well! (Just a scratch - appears he's a lucky so & so too!)

Bulldogs:

Name:	SAM_5214.JPG 
Size:	228.6 KB 
ID:	327438

2Lt Evan Keel: N.17 (#T) - FRTB-W 0 kills
    Rolled 3+1 = stuck the landing
    Rolled 6 +1RTB -1WIA = 6 - Injured skip 1D3 Scenarios, rolled 1 = skip 1

2Lt Percy Veer: N.17 (#2) - SD-FLM-ET 0 kills
    Rolled 7 -2FLM = 5 - Injured skip 1D3 Scenarios, rolled 4 = skip 2
    E&E Rolled 7 -1FLM -1WIC -1BEL = 4 - Injured, skip D6 scenarios, rolled 6 = skip 6

2Lt Baz Fife-Brand: N.17 (PC10) - FRTB-E 1 kill
    Rolled 3+2 = stuck the landing

2Lt Will Power: N.17 (plain silver) - FRTB-E 0 kills, 1 probable (Pozner FRTB-E)
    Rolled 6+5 = stuck the landing

Victory Points:

Bulldogs:
    Aircraft shot down: 3 points x 1 =3pts
    Aircraft FRTB: 1 point x 1 = 1 pt
    Total 4 pts

Eagles:
    Aircraft shot down: 3 points x 1 =3pts
    Aircraft FRTB: 1 point x 3 = 3pts
    Total 6 pts

Narrow German victory thanks to Werner's energetic efforts

I deliberately flew this as shown, thought I'd put the Hun in the barrel as it's his plane that needed testing !
    I flew for Baz all others were AI driven using my charts & other rules as usual and I used my formation flying to make the start easier as I said I would. A fun furball with some surprises for both sides, thanks Pete.
    Last edited by flash; 08-10-2023 at 00:51. Reason: Prefix !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Uncle says:

Name:	Uncle Outside.jpg 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	327439
    Somehow I have the felling that we lost that encounter in spite of the victory and the probable claimed - at least we know the Albatros D.III is back on the scene, HQ will like that tidbit of intel, maybe they'll look favourably on the indent for spares I'll have to make to find that out for them ! Poor Veer won't make ace just yet, hopefully he'll make it back to us and have another go one day. Still we bagged the Albatros and everybody made it back to the 'drome so that's worth raising a glass for.
    Last edited by flash; 06-09-2023 at 08:23.

Well played, Dave.
    We Adler lost our D.III but squeaked out a win in the end.

Question on Werner's Strong Constitution as none of my pilots have that skill:
    I assume it negates the need to roll with WIA in the C&W?

Werner was certainly on a roll. Pretty much sent the whole packing with the sole exception being Power. That's worthy of some kind of recognition from the Kaiser.

Hard and fast game. Surprising that the AAR made it so close. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    ..Question on Werner's Strong Constitution as none of my pilots have that skill:
    I assume it negates the need to roll with WIA in the C&W?
    No it shouldn't, Pete, I just forgot to do it as I was flagging a bit in the heat of the day when I posted this. Good spot I will amend his entry 'toot sweet' !
    Note: If he'd had a FRTB level wound I would have retired him from the table but he would not be affected by the shooting/jam restrictions usually applied.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Werner was certainly on a roll. Pretty much sent the whole packing with the sole exception being Power. That's worthy of some kind of recognition from the Kaiser.
    He's one victory off his Iron Cross, Paul, but Onkel is keeping an eye on his progress though and he may get another mission sooner rather than later. Due to his efforts he's been allowed to keep his blue Roland as it's his preference to use it at the moment.
    Last edited by flash; 06-10-2023 at 04:47.

Nice little action and some super planes, especially the Rolands. A narrow victory for the Adlers despite they were the ones bounced and at 3:4 odds, means it should be celebrated wildly in the mess tonight.

Nice one Dave, although a shame about the final result. Young Franz Werner pulled off a great show there too. Have to keep an eye open for that chappie. Glad to see I wasn't the only one to play the scenario this way around. I wasn't certain about my interpretation, but now I'm happy with it. Thanks for that Good to see the Roland DII in action. I still don't have any of them. Time to put that to rights. Any excuse to get more planes huh

Thanks Mike, a good performer the Roland D.II, I'm going to keep at least one about for a while.

Frantic is the only word I can think of for the action in this game.

Interesting I read and played the opening the same as you and presumably Mike did, I thought that was the way Colonel Stumpy wanted it, now I'm not so sure.

Anyway good action and it looked more of a draw to me but I can't remember the victory conditions.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-10-2023, 13:39
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-09-2023, 13:31
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-09-2023, 13:25
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-03-2023, 14:19
  5. AAR OTTDYM - Mission 7 - Flash Dit Fromage - 19th February 1916
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 12