Ares Games

Thread: Hello

Default Hello

Thanks for having me. Myself and my son have only just managed to get a duel set and some additional planes after toying with the idea for the last 2 years or so! Must say we are having some very good games with what we have. So on the look out now for a few dr1 triplanes for him to play with

Hello Mark. I am sure your collection will grow, especially now Reduced Aircraft Factory are printing colour planes. They have many good planes at a reasonable price.

Welcome to the Drome Mark. Good to have you on board. Dr1s can be found on e bay, although often at silly prices. Occassionally someone on the Drome may wish to sell, so keep a weather eye open here. The alternative is to look at the Shapeways site. I have no idea if you are familiar with Shapeways, but basically they produce 3D prints of all kinds of objects, including WW1 aircraft in 1/144 scale. Several of our members provide the programmes for the prints on their behalf. The aircraft are available in White and other coloured plastics, depending on the quality you are prepared to pay for. These, of course, require painting by yourself, which is fun if you enjoy that sort of thing. You can also buy pre colour printed aircraft in a range of designs, primarily by Reduced Aircraft Factory, a member of the Drome. He also provides information about the models and others on Wings of Linen Wiki, where he posts designs for the model "cards" too. There are quite a few DR1s on offer. The downside is the cost. The aircraft themselves are reasonably priced, but Shapeways, an American company, has a unit in Holland, where those based in the UK buy from. So there are P&P + taxes to pay on tom, plus, if your order is a large one, customs can bang on quite a few quid. All in all I guess you would pay in the region of £30.00 a model all in, but that is quite possibly less than you would pay for Ares models on e Bay. Alternative cards representing movement Decks for all of these aircraft can be downloaded from this web site, I think, but don't quote me on that.
    Its a wonderful hobby Mark and i wish you and your son hours of fun with it. Patience may even yield the models you want at very much reduced prices than quoted above.
    Watch your six,
    Mike

Hi Mark, welcome to the 'Drome!

See this thread https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...niversity)#top
    for some of our chaps attending the Britcon show in your home town! Come and have a play!!!

As for needing Dr.1s, put a post in the Wanted section of the Marketplace here on the 'Drome, or, alternatively, post your specific requirements on this thread and someone << cough, cough >> might just be able to help you out...
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Hi Mark, welcome to the forum.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Welcome from the other side of the pond! The planes by Reduced Aircraft Factory, already referenced by Mike, can be found here:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/raf?...l+color%29&s=0

Greetings from across the pond!

Thanks chaps. Im very familiar with shapeways (ive a 3d resin printer myself, although its out on loan atm) im no stranger to painting as ive been wargaming for over 40 years and still work in the industry albeit part time nowdays i'll certainly be going along to britcon its only 10 minutes away from where we live so defo local. ill keep my eyes open for dr1 models and have been looking at the Valom ones but just not sure where to get bases and cards from.

You can find various card files on this site in the Files section. You will have to print them out and trim them though. Bases. Read Eagle Miniatures in the UK has some base that can be used.

https://www.redeagleminiatures.co.uk/ww1%20rules.html

Welcome, Mark! Glad you and your son are enjoying this fun game!
    If you need maneuver decks, we're not allowed to post them in the public files here, but I'll message you a link where you can download them in a format where you can use a paper cutter to make your own.

You can get bases from Red Eagle or possibly Litko (not sure the UK sources). Base sizes:
    Wingspan is what determines the base size of planes (number of engines is not a factor).
    Huge base 80 x 110mm: Huge planes with wingspans of 29 meters and up (Staaken, Felixstowe, HP O/400, etc).
    Medium base 68 x 88mm: Planes with wingspans of 22.2 to 24 meters (Caproni Ca.3, Gotha G.V, Friedrichshafen G.III, etc) have the medium size base (68 x 88mm, exactly twice the width of a 'normal' fighter card).
    Small base 68 x 44mm: Planes with a smaller wingspan up to an undefined maximum, a bit larger than the 14.36m span Breguet 14 (including the 14.55m FE2 and the 15.24m AEG N.I) use the 'normal' fighter base. The exact maximum has not been defined.
    Custom Large ‘tweener’ base 68 x 66mm: Furthermore Andrea mentions the potential of a fourth base size (one and a half 'normal' cards wide) for those planes with a wingspan of approximately 17-18m (such as the Farman F.40 and the Caudron G.4), but since this base size was declined by Ares it's likely that such planes will have to go down to the 'normal' fighter size base or up to the medium (Gotha etc) size base, although which is not yet decided upon. * Zoe suggests as a rule of thumb - Go by wingspan but in boundary cases (smaller than Gotha, larger than Br14), 2 seaters go smaller, 3+ seaters go larger. Seems to make sense and as good a compromise as any to break the deadlock. Malachi note: for planes with wingspans of approximately 16 – 20 meters.

Also see: Making base stands and gimbal mounts

Welcome Mark.

Got your own resin printer eh?

- here's my 1/144 Dr1 model for free https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4940260

Print as many as you like.

These might be useful too : https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4892216
    Then there's these too: http://shpws.me/Sypz - see the download button at the bottom of the page.

BTW - How far is Britcon from Brum? I'm there this weekend. (Edit: also that weekend in Aug too )
    Last edited by decapod; 06-09-2023 at 06:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Twintin View Post
    ill keep my eyes open for dr1 models and have been looking at the Valom ones but just not sure where to get bases and cards from.
    Mark, have a look here and here for aircraft cards.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Good to be able to welcome you to the Drome with my formal hat off Mark.
    As I am also in Notts, where abouts are you based? Maybe we can get together for a game sometime.
    Also we have a show coming up in August at Nottingham Uni, City campus.
    I will leave Hedeby to tell you about Doncaster Air Museum in September.
    Fly safe.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Welcome, Mark & Son.
    You'll never regret taking the plunge.

You bank account, however ...

Although with that 3D printer you might have an easier time filling up your ranks.

Welcome to the Aerodrome Mark. (& son) You get a great set of helping hands at Britcon. You'll find out that if you see an ARES plane you like, get it then and there. When they are gone it takes a long time for them to be reprinted if at all. Your 3d printer can make up for that!

If you need any card decks I have scanned them all if you don't mind printing your own. Drop me a PM with any request for a deck.

Morning, Mark and welcome to the Aerodrome!
    Nice to read you already played several missions, the nice reality of this game is it is better and better with every single contest
    Enjoy it

Welcome to the aerodrome from sunny (wel, today it is sunny ...) Netherlands.
    I'm sure the father and son team will have a cracking time playing Wings of Glory
    cheers
    Guus
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

Quote Originally Posted by decapod View Post

BTW - How far is Britcon from Brum? I'm there this weekend. (Edit: also that weekend in Aug too )
    Paul.
    The journey time from the centre of Brum to Britcon is about 45 minutes give or take for the time of day. Good M'way or dual carrageway all the way excepting the suburbs.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Users Country Flag

Name
    Billy
    Sorties Flown

Welcome

Hello Mark and son. Welcome to the Show. Litko do a range of engraved bases for scouts and tandems (use a Sharpie to mark the lines) I got some from Pendraken Miniatures. Dive in and ask any questions you need help with. The chaps (and chapesses) are always willing to help. Enjoy

well managed to score a Dr1 from the bay of fleas for the princely sum of £15 delivered. When it arrived it was still in the shrink wrap. My son is a very happy chappy and we'll be giving it a good pasting later on this afternoon

well managed to score a Dr1 from the bay of fleas for the princely sum of £15 delivered. When it arrived it was still in the shrink wrap. My son is a very happy chappy and we'll be giving it a good pasting later on this afternoon
    Yay

Welcome to you both from me down in Bristol, hope to make your acquaintance at Britcon ( though I will be playing with ones with sails)

welcome to the drome mark!!!! sounds like youre off to a good start!

Welcome to the Drome Mark. If you are still looking for some Dr 1s, drop me a pm.

Welcome aboard Mark, how goes the aeroplane hunt?

Have you seen the details of our annual get together, just a short trip up the M1 in Doncaster?
    Would be great if you and/or your son could join us over the weekend of 1-3 Sept.
    see Doncaster 2023 thread (or PM me) if you need any further info.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!