Ares Games

Thread: Building a DH2 - HELP!!!!

Default Building a DH2 - HELP!!!!

I have been following the thread, Skytrex DH2 WOW mounting (link below), with interest as I am in the process of building 3 DH2's but am having a bit of a problem.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...2-WOW-mounting

The first mini is pretty much built, as a trial run for the other 2, except for the tail skid. A fair bit of time has been spent finding diagrams and pictures of the aircraft & I have the Osprey 'Pusher Aces' book as reference so I can see where it goes, but cannot work out how it fixes to the frame. As you will know the two sides of the frame join together in a V shape with the tail section fitting on top of that. The tail skid should join the frame somewhere at the bottom, but the small metal pieces waiting to be fixed on have 3 legs for the skid.

I may be a complete numpty here and have the pieces the wrong way round? The part might also be mis-cast but I feel this is unlikely as all 3 aircraft have exactly the same shaped skid!

Any advice or even a pic or 2 of how someone else had afixed theirs would be appreciated, or should I just leave the mini 'incomplete' and leave the tail skid off?

I don't have any advice for mounting, but if you wait a few months (July or after) it looks like NG will be realeasing their own D.H.2's.

As with most things with NG that time frame will slip & as I have begun the builds already I want to get them finished.

I have been wondering how the tail skid fits as well.
    I await some words of wisdom (I certainly havn't got any)
    Don

Looks like I will just have to cuff it.

Been a while since I made some for a mate of mine but I recall that was a pig to fit cos the shape looks all wrong - I just kept turning it around until it looked the most skid like then glued the fiddly little sucker in place - eventually it stuck - its not pretty but it's on !

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Thanks Dave, that is just about where I am with this build - frustrated and unsure :S . The part looks totally wrong for where I think it is supposed to go - at the Apex of the V shaped tail frame. All diagrams & references I have seen corroborate my thoughts on this. The shape, however, gives me the impression that the Skytrex intended it to be fitted to one of the 2 sides of the V frame as close to the tail as possible.

I suppose I will just have to sit down at the weekend and 'play' until I work out where to put it.
    Last edited by Shiraz68; 02-14-2011 at 04:01.

I am not familiar with the kit. Could you post pics? I have been curious to see what the DH2 looks like in kit form.

Zach

Quote Originally Posted by vacca rabite View Post
    I am not familiar with the kit. Could you post pics? I have been curious to see what the DH2 looks like in kit form.

Zach
    I am in the same boat as Zach, but if you can get some good close up shots of the part, and the tail section of the model top and bottom, we might be able to help you figure it out. I am actually a bit curious either way!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Thanks guys - I will get some pics taken as soon as possible and post them when I can.

The guy who has been selling Skytrex and Reviresco kits on ebay actually has a couple completed kits up for sale right now. One of them is a D.H.2. I'm fairly sure it is a Skytrex kit, so maybe his pic might be of some help.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wings-War-Scale-...item2c5ac30c5c

Pics of the skytrex DH2 can be found in my album along with some Fokker EIII's I am also making. Not the best photo's I am afraid as I was using my phone.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=439

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Dont know if it helps much but here`s a good link to a reasonable 3 View drawing of a DH 2.
    http://www.aviastar.org/pictures/eng...lland_dh-2.gif
    Judging by Shiraz68`s photo`s I`d say that the problem is that the tailskid has a large chunk of extra metal that has to be removed before fixing to the extreme tail.
    Last edited by Rabbit 3; 04-02-2011 at 05:16.

Hi Adie to be honest after much umming & ahhing and at risk of taking a hammer to the thing after weighing up all the pro's & con's I waiting till the SWMBO vacumed the carpet and then I blamed her for losing the piece and so didnt attach it
    At the scale I dont think it is too noticable

I have these small victories now and then
    Last edited by Boney10; 04-02-2011 at 07:18.

I have just got to putting the tail skid on my DH2, and I can assure you gents that there is absolutely nothing wrong.
    Nothing wrong with your assessment of the situation that is. After a whole day of scanning all sources, there is nothing remotely like the tail skid included on any machine that I have found. I can only assume that they felt it needed to be made more secure by having three glue points. I toyed with the idea of trimming it down and then decided that in order to preserve what little sanity remains to me I would just go with the flow.
    I will publish and be damned next week when it is finished. The worst little begger that I have taken on for some time, and all because I couldn't wait for a few more months.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I also have been flying my D.H.2 without the tailskid, waiting to copy the WoW model when it comes out.
    In the mean-time I keep the ground crew busy repairing my rudder every time I land.

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Seems to me that a simple solution to the problem might be just to drill a small hole in the rear of the tailplane assembly then superglue a bit of bent staple in to make a tailskid.
    Probably look a bit better than the original part as well!
    Come next payday I think I might order one of these from Skytrex.
    I`ve got a hankering to have a go at their FE2b as well, must be some sort of pusher bug going round.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit 3 View Post
    I`ve got a hankering to have a go at their FE2b as well, must be some sort of pusher bug going round.
    You might find a glance at my How to build a Skytrex FE2b on the Home page interesting Robert. Hope it is of help.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    You might find a glance at my How to build a Skytrex FE2b on the Home page interesting Robert. Hope it is of help.
    Rob.
    Aye I also got a couple on the go

Similar Missions

1. Building a FE. 2B
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 02-03-2011, 13:18
  2. Building the A.E.G. G1V.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 11-24-2010, 14:22
  3. Building the Gotha.