Ares Games

Thread: Behemoth Battle

Default Behemoth Battle

There are some really good scenarios in our files section, and this one by Carl Brisgamer appealed to my friend Doug as the perfect one for our Tuesday battle.

An HP 0/400 is tasked with bombing the road bridge into town on the city map and will approach from the coast. A Halberstadt is in the area and being piloted by an expert will try to thwart the Tommy plans. Doug is piloting the HP and I am in the Halberstadt. To even up the damage numbers I have the Sniper, Lucky Pilot, and Strong Constitution Ace cards.

To begin with I tried a head on approach to put him off his bombing and it seemed to work as he only partially destroyed the bridge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	326725

However, he did give me a jam on passing.

Name:	2.jpg 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	326726

In out next exchange of fire I had the bomber smoking and only copped a couple of low cards in return.

Name:	3.jpg 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	326727

From this point onwards things went pear shaped for the German as he collided with the massive bomber.

Name:	4.jpg 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	326728

Even though I used my lucky pilot card and sorted the 4 and fire damage card back into the C deck, things did not go my way.
    My second collision resulted in me drawing the same 4 and fire damage card!

Name:	5.jpg 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	326729

I copped a couple more hits as Doug completed his bombing and destroyed the target.

Name:	6.jpg 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	326730

Although I did manage to wound a crewman and set the bomber on fire, my own fire damage draws finished me off.

Name:	7.jpg 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	326731

Name:	8.jpg 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	326732

By using my Sniper card I also inflicted a lot of damage on the bomber which gave it 25 damage points out of 30.

Name:	9.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	326733

All in all a good and enjoyable game which was fairly evenly balanced. Kudos to Doug on his victory.
    Last edited by Baxter; 05-25-2023 at 17:14.

Good action and lots of punishment across the board.

And a good thing about this scenario, it used planes that we don't often see in games and thus AARs.

Challenging match up, Gary. Playing all the special damage instead of just the boom card from collisions is tantamount to self flagellation, so you deserved what you got ! There's a good chance the HP might not have made it home though, depends on fire damage it would have drawn, should be 2 A cards a token if you play the Giant's fire rules.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

You made that a bit tougher on yourself than necessary - the 'C' deck damage symbols are only for AA fire, not collisions, which are Damage Points and Boom only.

Still, a very enjoyable AAR.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Good to see the big bird in action Gary.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Great fun, although as others have pointed out, a bit harsh on the two seater with the special. Still, it was a valiant attempt to stop the H-P.

Good one Gary. Yes, without the fire from the collision on your Halb you may have pulled it off. A close run thing for sure!

Gary that was a hard fought engagement. Thank you for sharing this thrilling AAR

Great AAR! Thanks for sharing this!

Enjoyed that one Gary. Tough fight, but the Ace cards made for a balanced mission, I guess. Real bad luck drawing the C4 and Fire again, but as Tim said the special damage on the "C" shouldn't have caused a fire after a collision. Unless you wanted it that way of course. Halberstadt v a Handley Page 0/400 - brave man Thanks fo sharing.

A well balanced challenge.
    Rep dropped.

Similar Missions

1. Battle of the S’s
    By Windy Jack in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-21-2021, 23:45
  2. Battle of the Duds
    By Baxter in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-16-2021, 22:12
  3. Fort Donelson battle (Battle Cry Game)
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-23-2017, 20:04
  4. Battle of France & Battle of Britain Hurricane squadrons
    By miscmini in forum United Kingdom
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-15-2017, 15:38
  5. Multiplayer: Battle over the 4
    By THECCRICH in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-05-2014, 07:55