Ares Games

Thread: Needing advice re: straightening warped model

Default Needing advice re: straightening warped model

Yesterday I received an order from Shapeways (my first order) which included a Vickers FB5 in the white plastic material. The model looks good except the tail booms are warped.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230518_153652_HDR.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	326554

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230518_153703.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	326555

I put the model in a hot water bath -- 160 to 170 degrees F -- for 20 to 30 seconds, then removed the model from the hot water and attempted to straighten the tail booms, holding them for a minute. But when I release the model, the tail booms spring back to the warped shape.

How hot does the water need to be? How long should I leave the model in the hot water bath?

Hey Larry,

I would contact shapeways about that: https://support.shapeways.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Attach your pic and they will send you a new one. You may not get that one back in shape (no pun intended).

If you want to retry I'd suggest water temp around 190 for about 10-15 seconds, then I immediately put it in a bowl of icewater for 30+ seconds. Repeat. If it doesn't reform after four or five tries I'm not sure it will.

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    Hey Larry,

I would contact shapeways about that: https://support.shapeways.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Attach your pic and they will send you a new one. You may not get that one back in shape (no pun intended).

If you want to retry I'd suggest water temp around 190 for about 10-15 seconds, then I immediately put it in a bowl of icewater for 30+ seconds. Repeat. If it doesn't reform after four or five tries I'm not sure it will.
    Thanks, Chris. I'll contact Shapeways. I'm willing to give the hot water bath another try as well.

Chris hit the nail on the head. After a few tries, the hot/cold water treatment might not work. Give it a shot. Shapeways customer service is top notch. They have replaced planes for me in the past.

I've had moderate success with the application of a "medical splint" to the bent booms/struts...

Matchsticks, cut to length, applied to either side of the bend, and clamped in place with a crocodile clip, then left to dry/cool.

Depending on exactly where the bend is, and what kind of access to that point you have, sometimes the bend can be straightened out.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I just heard from Mitchell at Shapeways. He explained that the white Versatile Plastic material has to be heated to 360 degrees (F) to soften enough that warps might be straightened. (The 160F would work for the Fine Detail Plastic material) Mitchell said I could give this a try if I want; if it doesn't work, Shapeways will send replacements. It will be fun to give this a try. I'll heat the kitchen oven to 360, the use Tim's splint method to straighten the warped tail booms.

I've had good success using a blow dryer as well (with some heat-resistant gloves). 360°F sounds higher than I would have expected, though. In any case... yeah, do not hesitate to get a reprint if it doesn't respond to heating methods.

360F!?
    I have visions of me trying to 'weather' Matchbox vehicles in the fireplace 60-ish years ago.

They were looking great, but then all of a sudden became lumps of lead with axles sticking out of them ...

Why I felt the need for weathering at that age I have no idea ....

I've just acquired a heat gun, and will (at some point!) try that on some of my remaining Warpies.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

A heat gun sounds like a good idea as you can be more precise with where you put the heat. I will give that a try next time I get a warpie.

I have my doubts about a heat gun; I think it may be too hot and hard to control resulting in a puddle of goo. I have one but can't bring myself to pick a shapeways guinea pig.

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    I have my doubts about a heat gun; I think it may be too hot and hard to control resulting in a puddle of goo. I have one but can't bring myself to pick a shapeways guinea pig.
    There are many different attachments you can get for heatguns that control where you put the heat. Here is one example. I think this should work.

Attachment 327223

Similar Missions

1. Straightening AIM planes that are painted
    By Dak21 in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-31-2020, 06:41
  2. General Warped wings
    By ReducedAirFact in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-28-2013, 20:06
  3. WSF Straightening bent models
    By Pooh in forum Shapeways Models