Ares Games

Thread: Latest Blog Post!

Default Latest Blog Post!

My next project, using some Shapeways planes, being planned:

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/en...-My-Next-Trick

Darryl, today I received in the mail my first Shapeways order which includes the S.S. D-1. So I'll be following your blog with interest

Quote Originally Posted by Larry R. View Post
    Darryl, today I received in the mail my first Shapeways order which includes the S.S. D-1. So I'll be following your blog with interest
    Huzzah! Welcome to the madness that is the SS D.I! I need to determine first what color of primer to use...most likely just a gray. Then a sealer of sort before applying the actual colors!

Quote Originally Posted by predhead View Post
    Huzzah! Welcome to the madness that is the SS D.I! I need to determine first what color of primer to use...most likely just a gray. Then a sealer of sort before applying the actual colors!
    Regarding primer/filler, have you any experience with Tamiya Fine Primer? I have a can of this and am tempted to try it on the Shapeways white material.

Regarding primer/filler, have you any experience with Tamiya Fine Primer? I have a can of this and am tempted to try it on the Shapeways white material.
    It will not hurt, but do not be surprised if the primer soaks into the plane a bit, requiring a second coat. I've not used that brand of primer specifically, but the white material seems to soak up a lot of paint. I have used a mix of 50% water to 50% white (PVA) glue, and have painted the plane several times with this mix (24 hours between each coat) to remove the graininess and to allow the plane then to take an actual coat of paint. Future seems to be another choice recommended here. For the Gray PA12 material, I painted my Pfalz Dr.I with two coats of base color (silvergray) with no prep, and it seemed to cover very well.
    Last edited by predhead; 05-18-2023 at 08:26.

Being my first Shapeways order, I wasn't sure as to which material to order, white or gray. I think my bext order will be the PA12 gray material just to see the difference.

Being my first Shapeways order, I wasn't sure as to which material to order, white or gray. I think my bext order will be the PA12 gray material just to see the difference.
    I would highly recommend Gray PA12 over the basic white finish. Costs a few cents more, but I think the product is less grainy and the material is easier to work with (prep/prime). Not all planes though, depending on who's shop you order from, are offered in PA12. I believe most, if not all, of the R. A. F. ones are. Good hunting!

FYI - I have always ordered the Gray PA12 from RAF for my Shapeways planes and just had to do one coat of primer-Model Master Enamel Paint Primer. It is a medium gray color.

Good to know, Craig! I might get a can of primer myself to make painting a tad easier.

And one more...will be a little while until the next as I await supplies.

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/en...roject-Part-II

Similar Missions

1. Latest Blog Post!
    By predhead in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2023, 16:40
  2. Post vs Blog
    By Anav in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-24-2015, 10:57
  3. WSF New Blog Post - My First Foray into Shapeways
    By predhead in forum Shapeways Models