Ares Games

Thread: Post to Post

Default Post to Post

With only two of us available a couple of weeks ago, Baxter and I decided to try firing post to post in our dogfight. That is, a shot would only count if the firing ruler went from the shooting plane's post to the post of the opposing plane.
    We had two aircraft each.
    The game took quite a while, because there were many times when firing wasn't possible, even though it would have been in post to base firing. This was not only in situations where the firing ruler only just glances the corner of the opponent's base. I was surprised at how often firing covered a good part of the base, but couldn't quite get to the post. Therefore it didn't count.
    Even though there are no photographs or detailed writing about the game, I thought I would share this report after the action.

I played the game like that for years, including early in OTT, it's a challenge and I only changed to the standard method when I became more active in public playing & teaching the game and to fall in line with the other OTT players.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Similarly, when Janet and I play using cards (no minis), we use the rule that requires the firing ruler to touch the image of the enemy plane, not just the card. We like this rule even though there are times when the ruler touches the card but not the image of the a/c, thus not counting as a hit. We would like to incorporate this rule into the games that we play with minis, but we're not certain how we can do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Windy Jack View Post
    The game took quite a while, because there were many times when firing wasn't possible, even though it would have been in post to base firing.
    More maneuvering and less shooting makes games last longer. I would use alternative game end conditions or disengagement rules as listed in other threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry R. View Post
    We would like to incorporate this rule into the games that we play with minis, but we're not certain how we can do this.
    By sticking an image under the base?

I like the idea of this as it falls a bit more in line with the very short firing ranges in the game...makes it a bit more in scale. Also, increasing the time to play due to the difficulty of obtaining hits is a positive outcome in my mind. One other thing, in setting parameters so as not to have games that are too long, have players that have hit 50% damage move to disengage and move towards a friendly edge of the table.

Quote Originally Posted by predhead View Post
    I like the idea of this as it falls a bit more in line with the very short firing ranges in the game...makes it a bit more in scale. Also, increasing the time to play due to the difficulty of obtaining hits is a positive outcome in my mind. One other thing, in setting parameters so as not to have games that are too long, have players that have hit 50% damage move to disengage and move towards a friendly edge of the table.
    Good idea, Darryl. Is this the same as 'forced return to base'?

Not the same but a similar idea - FRTB which you've seen in OTT isn't half damage - sometimes it may be less !
    All aircraft will actively engage until they are: Within 3 of destruction, or, within 5 of destruction if on fire, or, the pilot’s wounded on A deck 5 or B deck 3 (includes those with strong constitution) or, the engine is damaged.
    They now also roll to see if they land OK too.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

In a way I guess...but I do not think I have come across a rule about a forced return to base? But as gamers we tend to fight to the end...unless we are playing a campaign and then we become a bit more cautious with our pilots...which really should be the mindset all the time.

And thank you!!!

Similar Missions

1. 2000th POST
    By Hedeby in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-09-2016, 15:42
  2. My 1,500 post
    By Doug in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-14-2013, 16:16
  3. 500 post!!!
    By john snelling in forum Officer's Club