Ares Games

Thread: Commonest opponent for the Sopwith Triplane?

Default Commonest opponent for the Sopwith Triplane?

Hi Chaps,

(Hopefully this is the correct forum/thread/thingummy - please transfer if it isn't.)

Which would be the most common (ie most numerous, not most vulgar!) opponent for the Sopwtih Triplane during its brief combat operational life (December 1916 to October 1917, I believe)? I have identified the Albatros D.III as a contemporary, but presumably there were others?

Thanks, in advance.

The Blue* Baron
    (* it's a Bavarian thing )

Alb D.III looks good. Check out 'Wings of Linen' site HERE for the usage charts. You'll see the top German scouts through the Tripe's run at the front.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 04-08-2023 at 06:55.

Thanks, Peter.

I wonder how well the LFG Roland C.II held up against it...

Thank you, also, Luke/KM.

Supplementary question: what does the collective mind think would be a "fair fight" from a scenario* point-of-view? 5 Tripes v 6/7 D.IIIs or C.IIs? Even numbers? (I'm thinking of using the all-Canadian "Black Flight" from RNAS 10 Squadron for the Entente.)

This is not an historical reply. But, in the supplement 'Scenarios' of the WWI Rules and Accessories Pack, there's a neat table of planes of 'approximately equal level' to build fair scenarios (planes of the same time period). It is most likely downloadable on the official site of Ares. But I haven't found the link. Don't know whether or not I can scan and post the paper document.

Hoping it can be of any help.

So here are the suggested WoG planes to fight against/with the Sopwith Triplane :

Albatros D.Va
    Aviatik D.I
    Fokker DR.I
    Pfaz D.III/IIIa
    Phönix D.I
    Rumpler C.IV
    Ufag C.I

vs

Hanriot HD.I
    Macchi M5
    Nieuport 28
    Sopwith Camel
    Sopwith Triplane
    Spad XIII
    Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter

If needed, you'll be able to pick the planes that precisely match the time period of your choice.

Possibly the Halberstadt D-III

Quote Originally Posted by VonWreckedoften View Post
    (Hopefully this is the correct forum/thread/thingummy - please transfer if it isn't.)
    ...Which would be the most common (ie most numerous, not most vulgar!) opponent for the Sopwith Triplane during its brief combat operational life (December 1916 to October 1917, I believe)? I have identified the Albatros D.III as a contemporary, but presumably there were others?..
    Looking at Black Flights record the majority of victories over fighters were Albatros D.III & Albatros D.V but there are the odd Albatros D.II, Halberstadt D.II & Pfalz D.III in the mix.
    There's quite a number of unclassified C types amongst Albatros C types (probably C.III ?) recorded.
    Don't believe they ever met a Fokker triplane. (F.1 or Dr.1); the Albatros D.Va & Pfalz D.IIIa probably came on scene just after their time.

(P.S. Moved to WGF Historical Discussions)
    Last edited by flash; 04-08-2023 at 10:32.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

My position is:

Triplane (A) > D.III
    Triplane (B) < D.III
    Triplane (A/B) < C.II

Triplane (A) [x3] = C.II [x2]

Triplane (A) + Triplane (B) = D.III [x2]

Quote Originally Posted by VonWreckedoften View Post
    Thank you, also, Luke/KM.

Supplementary question: what does the collective mind think would be a "fair fight" from a scenario* point-of-view? 5 Tripes v 6/7 D.IIIs or C.IIs? Even numbers? (I'm thinking of using the all-Canadian "Black Flight" from RNAS 10 Squadron for the Entente.)
    Last edited by Killer Moth; 04-08-2023 at 10:10.

Pretty much exactly what I was looking for - well done, chaps! Thank you one and all, and especially Peter for the "Wings of Linen" pointer - great stuff!

Similar Missions

1. Sopwith Triplane pic.
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-25-2019, 15:57
  2. WGF SOLD: (2) Sopwith Pups and a Sopwith Triplane
    By rcboater in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-29-2018, 19:08
  3. Sopwith Triplane Speed
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7