Ares Games

Thread: Need help with naming map locations

Default Need help with naming map locations

I had fun creating my game mat from two large gaming mouse pads. The stitched seams became parallel railroad track beds, black sewing threat serving as the tracks; one set of tracks glued in place so far. I'll say I'm liking this mat.....some detail, but not cluttered, and inexpensive.

I'd like to name the river and the village, and paint the names on the mat, but I'm at a loss as to what to use for names. The names would be or could be fictional. I've considered saying the river is the Lys, a small river in France and Belgium. For the village, I have no good idea other than Fleur de Lys .....for which I have doubts.

Perhaps there are forum members who could suggest names that are fictional yet plausible?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20230328_104843.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	324624

Looking good, Larry. This site has a bunch of options that may help:
    https://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/

Hargneux sur Lys.. A play on the French word for 'surly' (Hargneux) and 'on lily' (sur Lys). So, Surly Sur Lys..!

"He is wise who watches"

Maybe looking at a map of the area on Google maps or whatever could give you ideas, e.g. https://www.google.fr/maps/@50.3710251,2.9318652,10.57z

Just don't try using "pun" names - they're funny the first time, and amusing for two or three more times, but everyone will soon get sick of them (like the fictional names of Pilots in some campaigns).

If you've painted them on the map, you'll likely soon have a lot of RE-painting to do!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Just don't try using "pun" names - they're funny the first time, and amusing for two or three more times, but everyone will soon get sick of them (like the fictional names of Pilots in some campaigns).

If you've painted them on the map, you'll likely soon have a lot of RE-painting to do!
    Agreed.....a name like Porcherie sur Lys for example....ha-ha...funny, but no.

Recommend you go for made up name names. Dipped my toe into names of airfields used by both sides and nearly drowned in information, especially if you're trying to get them relatively opposite each other. I have pages of airfield names. Today I had two airmen fresh over the Channel at St. Omer. I know says I, I'll have them travel part way together before they go off to their respective airfields. Then spent more time than I should have trying to get two airfields in a North/South direction of each other, both either above or below St. Omer. For your information, they both got onto transport, heading south of St. Omer. One went to Auchel and the other carried onto Bryas. Charles Elliot Driscoll is now flying Airco DH2s for 95 Squadron at Bryas and has just completed (survived) his first mission. Beware Larry, this game can really grab you and I'm loving every minute of it. Enjoy and beware the rabbit holes

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    Recommend you go for made up name names. Dipped my toe into names of airfields used by both sides and nearly drowned in information, especially if you're trying to get them relatively opposite each other. I have pages of airfield names. Today I had two airmen fresh over the Channel at St. Omer. I know says I, I'll have them travel part way together before they go off to their respective airfields. Then spent more time than I should have trying to get two airfields in a North/South direction of each other, both either above or below St. Omer. For your information, they both got onto transport, heading south of St. Omer. One went to Auchel and the other carried onto Bryas. Charles Elliot Driscoll is now flying Airco DH2s for 95 Squadron at Bryas and has just completed (survived) his first mission. Beware Larry, this game can really grab you and I'm loving every minute of it. Enjoy and beware the rabbit holes
    Too late!! I've been pulled in...or fell down that rabbit hole! I'm reading about the small towns along the Lys river (not a lot of info in English on the internet). Erquinghem was held by the Germans early on in the war, was taken by the British army, then retaken by the Germans. A small fictional village based on Erquinghem would serve well, I think. I wish I had more info about the history of the area during the war.

For several years my Bulldog squadron was based at Bentangles. I don't know where they are now, but maybe Uncle can enlighten you.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Maybe this will help.
    From the book :Atlas Nord terrain d'aviation premičre guerre mondiale edition Anciens aérodromes ( North atlas ,airfields ,first world war)
    a huge work done by passionate people
    https://www.anciens-aerodromes.com/?p=18139
    I scan only the maps with the Lys on it

Quote Originally Posted by fox View Post
    Maybe this will help.
    From the book :Atlas Nord terrain d'aviation premičre guerre mondiale edition Anciens aérodromes ( North atlas ,airfields ,first world war)
    a huge work done by passionate people
    https://www.anciens-aerodromes.com/?p=18139
    I scan only the maps with the Lys on it
    Wow! Thank-you, Fox. This is amzing!

Wow. Are these digital as well?

Only paper
    Not expensive ,between 10 and 15 euros a book.
    Only in French but there's not a lot of writing.
    Oise,Somme ,Meuse,Aisne,Nord, Pas de calais ,Alsace.

Fox, these are terrific! I may be mistaken, but I understand the Google translate app does translate from a photo of text, which would handle the language issue if one needs. I will see if these are available in the U.S.

You're welcome Larry , if you have some difficulties with the names I can help, it's my country, I live near Lille witch was occupied in 1914/1918

I think you should add a trench and name it "Bingo Crépuscule."

Quote Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
    I think you should add a trench and name it "Bingo Crépuscule."
    Hey, I kinda like that

I don't get it "bingo crépuscule"?

Quote Originally Posted by fox View Post
    I don't get it "bingo crépuscule"?
    It may be this to which Max alluded Fox.

From the Director of "Amelie"
    There are a handful of directors who create films that are always interesting and I eagerly anticipate the release of their films, flocking to the theater on opening weekend. I know that even if Clint Eastwood, Terry Zwigoff, Patrice Laconte, Peter Greenaway and others, park an actor in front of the camera reading the phone book, (I'm looking at you, Greenaway. "8 ½ Women"? What were you thinking?), these bad films will have some element that is interesting and help them rise above the rest of the pack. I count on these directors to lift my spirits and prove to me that film can still be an art form.

Jean- Pierre Jeunet, a member of this club, creates films jam packed with unique, interesting visual details. This level of enhancement in his films helps create the fantasy worlds that are the setting to his films, to such a degree that you never doubt their existence. The addition of memorable, believable characters and an interesting story helps raise his films to a level not achieved by many other directors.

"A Very Long Engagement", his follow up to "Amelie", one of my favorite films of all time, also stars Audrey Tautou. However, the similarities pretty much end there.

Manech (Gaspard Ulliel) is one of five French soldiers sentenced to death for self-mutilation during World War I. For their sentence, they are taken to the front line, a place called Bingo Crepuscule. The orders are to send them over the front line and let the Germans, the freezing cold, starvation, or a combination take care of them. Mathilde (Tautou), Manech's lover, learns of all of this later. She is told that Manech was killed, but doesn't, can't, believe it. Searching for Manech, she leaves her aunt and uncle's idyllic seaside farmhouse, for the journey. She will meet anyone and follow any lead that might prove to her that Manech is still alive.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry R. View Post
    Fox, these are terrific! I may be mistaken, but I understand the Google translate app does translate from a photo of text, which would handle the language issue if one needs. I will see if these are available in the U.S.
    Larry iphone can find text on pictures and translate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    It may be this to which Max alluded Fox.

"A Very Long Engagement", his follow up to "Amelie", one of my favorite films of all time, also stars Audrey Tautou. However, the similarities pretty much end there.

Manech (Gaspard Ulliel) is one of five French soldiers sentenced to death for self-mutilation during World War I. For their sentence, they are taken to the front line, a place called Bingo Crepuscule. The orders are to send them over the front line and let the Germans, the freezing cold, starvation, or a combination take care of them. Mathilde (Tautou), Manech's lover, learns of all of this later. She is told that Manech was killed, but doesn't, can't, believe it. Searching for Manech, she leaves her aunt and uncle's idyllic seaside farmhouse, for the journey. She will meet anyone and follow any lead that might prove to her that Manech is still alive.
    Spot on --Thanks Rob!

Thank-you, Jan. I'm too poor for an iphone, but I discovered my android type has a similar app called Lens which seems to have this ability.

Max and Rob....Rob's explanation of the origin of Bingo Crépuscule makes this the winning candidate for my game mat village. Thanks!

Fox.... I searched online for those wonderful aerodrome atlases, but to no avail. I (and perhaps others) would love to get our hands on them; would you be so kind as to post the contact information of the publisher?
    Last edited by Larry R.; 03-30-2023 at 05:57.

https://www.anciens-aerodromes.com/?page_id=32563
    Contact
    news@anciens-aerodromes.com
    Perhaps better to ask if they send books in States.

Payment advice
    9 March 2010

Thank you for your interest in our collections and books. The PayPal payment interface allows you to order them very quickly using the payment buttons.

It is not necessary to have a PayPal account or to open one to do this.
    There is an option to pay directly with your own credit card details.
    Do not forget to specify the delivery address where you want to be served.
    The parcel will arrive within 7 days at the most.

Please note, however, that if you use your PayPal account to pay, the delivery address will be the default address of your account, which may be different from the one you want, please check.

In all cases, within a few hours of placing your order, you will receive a confirmation that your order has been processed, followed by a shipping confirmation. In most cases, we use the tracked envelope of the French Post Office for deliveries in France and the corresponding number will also be sent to you.

Finally, the entry form presented after the activation of the order button has our logo as confirmation and the reference of the book is specified on the next line, to the right of the PayPal logo, by the arrow next to the shopping cart symbol. The details of the amounts, book and fees, are detailed there. See below.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Thanks for the info Fox.
    Rob.

Also thanks to Max for the Rep.
    Rob.

"Schneckenbusch and Mückenhof—the names do not inspire much confidence...." R. Stark

Apparently, some locales were known by both a French name and a German name, a fact of which I may take advantage. In his memoir, Rudolf Stark mentions two small villages whose German names did not (he said) inspire confidence (in terms of providing comfortable quarters for his pilots): Schneckenbusch, and Mückenhof— translated in a footnote as "Snailbush and Fly-farm"....not far from Porcherie-sur-Lys perhaps

Fox, I fired off an email Friday evening to Anciens-Aerodromes. I don't expect a reply before next week. I'll let the forum know what they say about international sales.
    Last edited by Larry R.; 04-01-2023 at 07:53.

My email response from Anciens-Aerodromes:

Dear Sir, thank you for your interest in our publications. Our atlases are available online via PayPal. There are 7 books published. Each book concern s a geographical area. The refering column is " Collection Atlas historiques 14-18 " Just follow this link. We use no basket each book is ordered separately. The postal rate is valid including for the usa.
    Best regards
    Laurent bailleul
    .https://www.anciens-aerodromes.com/?page_id=32563

Laurent Bailleul

That's cool , i'm glad you can get them.
    Perhaps make a special post just for those books?In WGF historical discussion?

I sent an email inquiry which was answered quickly. Ordered one aerodrome atlas as a start. Cost €19 ($22) postage included.

Hello Larry.

Just re reading Peter Hart's Aces Falling. Just after List of Illustrations is a map Aerodromes in France and Belgium 1918. There's loads of 'em

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    Hello Larry.

Just re reading Peter Hart's Aces Falling. Just after List of Illustrations is a map Aerodromes in France and Belgium 1918. There's loads of 'em
    Thanks, Lain. I didn't recognize the name (Peter Hart) or the title Aces Falling, so I searched a large online book seller; I discovered Hart to be an eminent authority, given his long association with the Imperial War Museum. He has authored a number of books about air war. I've been looking for a book to read on this topic. It appears I've found it!

He's also done "Somme Success" re Somme1916 and "Bloody April" re Arras 1917. Not so many maps but pilots mention lots of airfields. Also they're very good reads. Enjoy

hello
    you can find WWI aerial photos taken along the Lys here
    https://www.photoaerienne1914-1918.b...tal#content-24

Picked up this book from Amazon for £3.99. It is one of a whole series of books covering the Western Front.
    Rob.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	326319

Similar Missions

1. Origins 2019 Locations for games
    By matt56 in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-24-2019, 14:20
  2. South England Game locations
    By Archidamus in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-23-2015, 04:27
  3. Famous Locations
    By Marechallannes in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 121