Ares Games

Thread: How long does it take you to plan and set up a mission?

Default How long does it take you to plan and set up a mission?

Being new to WoW/WoG, I am learning as I go, adding more elements to missions, trying scenarios that forum veterans have worked out long ago.

I am currently working out a bombing mission. My collection of a/c miniatures isn't sufficient, so this will be a cards only game. There will be some prep work printing dash boards for some planes, and printing bomb run cards. There will be ground based AA machine guns for both sides, and Archie guns for both sides; I have yet to decide their placement. I like the idea of lots of action.

I plan to run a trial game or two to see if my set-up is weighted too much toward the attackers or the defenders. I'm certain forum veterans could tell at a glance. I don't yet have that level of experience.

I think the planning of a mission scenario is a fun part of the game. Putting together my bombing mission will take perhaps a couple of hours spread over a few days.

For fun, I'd like to know what goes into your mission planning?

Planning. An interesting concept.

If I don't just borrow an "Over-the-Trenches" scenario, I go with planes that would have flown at a particular time (if I have them).

If you use the Points System, you can "balance" the scenario, but there are issues. Any anti-aircraft (AA) weapons are not part of the numbers, and can have a significant effect on the survivability of the bombers. And a pilot that doesn't fly accurately, may have to fly over the target a few times, with AA weapons getting a few too many free shots at the bomber.

I haven't tried it, but you could give AA MGs points based on the Points System (Points System for Wings of Glory (WGF)).

Each HP of the gun emplacements - 2pts
    A gun - ~40pts
    B gun - ~20pts

AA artillery (C guns) haven't been calculated, as there are too many variables to shooting with them.

IMHO, it is disproportionate that glory has been splashed over aerial combat, but bombing, recconnaisance, and artillery direction were usually much more dangerous.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I'm dreadful at setting up scenarios.

I can plan them for days/weeks in advance, only to find they still don't work out how I expected.

When we (the UK Wing) meet up at Conventions, we often mull over various options for games, batting them back and forth...we really should be more organised!

Dave's "Flight Club" meets are different - the scenarios are planned in advance (by Himself, or guest GMs) so there is a minimum of mucking about trying to match up forces.

Eventually, I designed and wrote a Campaign Rule Set, in which the scenarios to be played out on the 'Wings' mats are dictated by the forces allocated to each encounter by the Campaign players - note that these encounters are almost NEVER "equal", but any player who fails to even try to complete a mission has an adverse effect on the ground combat at the end of each Campaign day.

As with all campaign systems, it requires the continual support and presence and availability of all players involved; something which has yet to be achieved.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry R. View Post
    ..I think the planning of a mission scenario is a fun part of the game. Putting together my bombing mission will take perhaps a couple of hours spread over a few days.
    For fun, I'd like to know what goes into your mission planning?
    Depends how many players you're planning for - our group at Entoyment is usually about 8 or more on Wednesday nights and we tend to do things on the hoof so I think the key is to be flexible, don't worry about even sides and don't make it too complex. One thing I can say about AAMG & Flak is it can consume a lot of time to play, you're almost better off having a player run that element alone. I'd also suggest for AA that you use the solitaire rules as that just requires drawing a damage deck to determine if a hit is taken rather than tracking and fiddling with tokens on the table top. Ground fire from MG's can be brutal too, using a similar method for determining hits as the AA does can make them slightly less accurate/lethal.

"He is wise who watches"

As there are no WoG players near the place I live, I usually play solo against the AI solo charts/app and - as you say - I consider inventing scenarios part of the fun. It takes me about half a dozen test games until I feel the scenario is balanced. Then, to make it a challenge for me as player, I tend to give to the AI player some additional advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by hokusai View Post
    As there are no WoG players near the place I live, I usually play solo against the AI solo charts/app and - as you say - I consider inventing scenarios part of the fun. It takes me about half a dozen test games until I feel the scenario is balanced. Then, to make it a challenge for me as player, I tend to give to the AI player some additional advantage.
    I have not yet incorporated tbe AI element into my games, but from what I read, the AI is brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry R. View Post
    I have not yet incorporated tbe AI element into my games, but from what I read, the AI is brilliant.
    The word you're looking for is BRUTAL. Been shot down a number of times by AI. The d8 solo charts are brilliant though

You can spend days and days working on balancing a mission only to play it with other and it is a one sided romp. The damage cards will do what they want to keep a game tight or end it quick.

Just try to have an interesting reason for why this fight is about to happen. As said above, OTT missions are a great place to look.

depends on how complex it is. took a lot of planning to run my zeppelin scenario and im not sure i got it all right. players seemed to enjoy it.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-04-2022, 14:13
  2. After a long break we continue the war. Mission 12, 13 and 14
    By Anav in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-17-2016, 14:42
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-17-2015, 10:51
  4. Mission 12: A short fight and a long one
    By Wolfbiter in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 13