Ares Games

Thread: RAF Museum offloading another of their aircraft

Default RAF Museum offloading another of their aircraft

After flogging Cosford's Junkers 52 to the Kent Battle of Britain Museum, the RAF Museum is at it again. This time it is their Sopwith Tabloid which has been on display at Hendon for many years now. However, Stowe Maries Great War Aerodrome (which is local to me) has been offered it for their growing collection of WW1 aircraft. Stowe is trying to raise £2500 for the transportation and re-assembly of the Tabloid and have started a Gofundme page.

If you fancy chipping in a few Bob to fund the move, here is a link to the Gofundme page.

While it is a pity to see the Sopwith move on from Hendon, I for one am quite excited at the prospect of seeing it displayed just up the road from me. Stowe Maries is a great place for a day out, being the only WW1 aerodrome still in existence. If you haven't visited I would recommend it (as an extra incentive, take the missus to their craft fayre on 15th April ).

Link to Stowe Maries website
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Donation completed. All I have to do now is get up your way to see it one day, assuming they manage to raise the rest of the funds required

Well, the good news is that they raised the necessary funds, so at some point in the near future the Sopwith will be going to Stowe Maries
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Billy
    Sorties Flown

Will need to visit this!

Yes, Stowe Maries has been on my visit list for too long.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

It's a great day out

Why even BOTHER having an "RAF Museum" if all it's going to do is pawn off the heritage it's supposed to be preserving and presenting? What next, seize back XH558 to cut up for the value of its metals? Scrap all the German birds because they're "offensive and insensitive"?

Sorry, I get salty about things like this--you should see when some turdsucking whiner uncorks a bottle about "it's not fair that Pearl Harbor got USS Missouri when WE had her first" and I point out that Washington State HAD its chance to keep a battleship and they let USS Washington be turned into tin can and razor blades instead.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Why even BOTHER having an "RAF Museum" if all it's going to do is pawn off the heritage it's supposed to be preserving and presenting? What next, seize back XH558 to cut up for the value of its metals? Scrap all the German birds because they're "offensive and insensitive"?
    Because its only a very small fraction of the RAF Museum's collection, because its great to support aviation museums elsewhere in the country, and because a Ju52 isn't part of the RAF's heritage.

Similar Missions

1. De Havilland Museum and the RAF museum Hendon, London
    By mikeemagnus in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-19-2017, 03:59
  2. Midland Air Museum - Sir Frank Whittle Museum
    By Maverick in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-21-2016, 07:26
  3. Historic Aircraft Restoration Society Museum.
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-06-2015, 19:17
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-04-2012, 16:08
  5. Museum Aircraft
    By itchy in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-30-2011, 04:44