Ares Games

Thread: Decal problems

Default Decal problems

Hi Guys, I have a problem with all my repainted planes the decals keep falling off, can anyone recommend a surface coating to put on top of the transfers?

I've been using Winsor & Newton's Satin Varnish for a few months and it does a nice job. But there are other more experienced modelers on the 'Drome who might have different suggestions. Good luck!

I usually use a couple coats of Rust-Oleum 2X Ultracover matte clear rattle can, or a brush-on like Vallejo matte would work well.
    Micro Sol and Micro Set decal solution works for me to get a solid application snug to the model.

Hi Drew, most will varnish a model, apply decals with a decal solution, allow to dry fully, varnish over once more. Some use a gloss varnish underneath & sandwich it with another gloss coast then apply a matt or satin varnish over the top of it all for the finish they want over the decal & paint.
    I brush on a acrylic matt varnish over a gloss as it gives gives a sheen I want. I've heard Winsor & Newton's is good but haven't used it myself yet.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Miscellaneous Miniatures
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kevin
    Sorties Flown

1) Prepare the surface area. Make sure the area you apply the decal to is clean. Decals adhere better to a glossy surface.
    2) Moisten decal. Rest the decal on a very damp paper towel, sponge, or submerse in water for a few seconds until the decal starts to slide free of the decal backing paper.
    3) Apply decal by sliding from the backing paper onto the model. Decal setting solutions can be helpful in letting the decal move easily into position. A cotton swab or tissue may be used to help press the decal against the model surface. A rolling motion may make it easier to force water and air from under the decal.
    4) Decal setting solutions and solvents can be used on the decals but please test them on an unused decal before applying them to highly visible or important decals.
    5) Coating. Once dry, the decals can be coated with clear acrylic coatings. I’ve applied commercial, clear, aerosol coatings as well but you may want to test your preferred brand before spraying the entire model.

The Miniatures Page has a workbench article here that may help.

My experience has lead me to applying a clear gloss coat on the surfaces where decals are to be placed. Mostly, I find this equals out the shiny decal surface against the model's matt surface. Also, this reduces or eliminates the cloudy appearance around the decal, where it isn't completely adhereing to the matt paint.

Mask the canopies and other places that are supposed to be shiny!

Once the decal is in place and dry, I apply a matt clear coat. This reduces, if not elimitates, the shiny area around the decals, and the shiny surface of the decals. It can, and usually does, give a uniform matt finish to the model.

And the model is now protected from handling, and the decals don't lift off the models as it gets older...
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Similar Missions

1. decal paper for home-made decal printing
    By Gallo Rojo in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-08-2018, 12:53
  2. Site Problems?
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-02-2017, 16:13
  3. D.VII Base Problems
    By jbmacek in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 10