Ares Games

Thread: St. Mihiel aerodrome?

Default St. Mihiel aerodrome?

In his memoir, E.V.Rickenbacker observed a Rumpler two-seater land at an aerodrome located near St. Mihiel. According to EVR, the Rumpler had a rising sun painted on its side, followed by the number 16. I haven't found anything on the web regarding the St. Mihiel unit.

BTW, how is it that AI such as CHAT-GPT can write a college level theme paper in five minutes, but AI powered web search engines (Bing) results are often rubbish??

Quote Originally Posted by Larry R. View Post
    BTW, how is it that AI such as CHAT-GPT can write a college level theme paper in five minutes, but AI powered web search engines (Bing) results are often rubbish??
    GIGO.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Re: CHAT-GPT.
    I have a friend who is a programmer. He's been looking into these chat-bots recently.
    The more he looks, the less he thinks of them.
    His opinion is that they sound wonderful...if you don't really know what you're doing...

Buy your friend a beer on me when you see him Philip.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I can't contribute to the St. Mihiel info but just to add some potential confusion and food for thought...

Seefrosta unit was based near the coast at Nieuwmunster and later (just before the armistice) Vlissighem and flew scouts and reconnaissance land-based aircraft (Halberstadt CL.II and Rumpler C.IV types) in support of naval aviators of Zeebrugge and Ostend. This Albatros D.Va. had a "rising sun" marking but pilot and plane number are unknown. There is a photo of it at Vlissighem which would mean after August 5, 1918.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rising_sun_DVa.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	323881

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    I can't contribute to the St. Mihiel info but just to add some potential confusion and food for thought...

Seefrosta unit was based near the coast at Nieuwmunster and later (just before the armistice) Vlissighem and flew scouts and reconnaissance land-based aircraft (Halberstadt CL.II and Rumpler C.IV types) in support of naval aviators of Zeebrugge and Ostend. This Albatros D.Va. had a "rising sun" marking but pilot and plane number are unknown. There is a photo of it at Vlissighem which would mean after August 5, 1918.

Name:	rising_sun_DVa.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	323881
    Chris, this is interesting. The St. Mihiel Rumpler may have sported something similar. That aside, this Albatros is quite attractive. The fuselage seems to have a mottled coloration...interesting.

That aside, this Albatros is quite attractive. The fuselage seems to have a mottled coloration...interesting.
    Larry, many of the Seefrosta planes had that treatment. I'm trying to create several but am behind on that project. Here's another flown by Meyer and it's revision:
    OG post
    Updated version

That aside, this Albatros is quite attractive.
    Agreed.
    I'm feeling the love for this colour scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Buy your friend a beer on me when you see him Philip.
    Rob.
    Shall do. It'll likely be in 3-4 weeks when he gets back from his mother-in-law's funeral in Malaysia, and he may well prefer a port...but, I'm sure we can accommodate your wishes.
    Not normally the kind of thing I'd do, but because you asked me all special like...

Port is just fine.
    Let me know what I owe you.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Hello
    I found this concerning the jasta in the airfields in the Meuse (which St Mihiel is part) but don't know which one was in ST Mihiel.
    Jasta 45 du 25/12/17 au 25/03/18
    Jasta 67 du 08/02/18 au 31/10/18
    Jasta 77 du 15/09/18 au 11/11/18
    Jasta 65 du 16/09/18 au 07/10/18
    Jasta 4 du 9/10/18 au 6/11/18
    Jasta 6 du 9/10/18 au 6/11/18
    Jasta 10 du 9/10/18 au 6/11/18
    Jasta 11 du 9/10/18 au 6/11/18
    And the location of the airfield
    https://www.anciens-aerodromes.com/?p=18967
    One rumpler CIV was shot down near "Tahure, St Mihiel" by Joseph Vuillemin in 1918.
    Tahure is a village that disappeared during the WWI
    http://www.as14-18.net/Vuillemin#palmares
    Last edited by fox; 03-02-2023 at 08:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Port is just fine.
    Let me know what I owe you.
    Rob.

Thanks for the research, Fox. I'm wondering if the Rising Sun Rumpler was from a Feldflieger Abteilung (FFA) unit. The FFAs seem more difficult to pin down, but then my research tools are limited.

Don't find anything else .
    if you are really interested there is this book ( in french)
    I have the one on the north and there is a listing of all the airfields with the units that stayed there.

https://www.anciens-aerodromes.com/?p=18639

Name:	39487908382_b7c38431d5.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	323894

Similar Missions

1. Tough Day Over St. Mihiel
    By Beer&pretzels in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-26-2015, 08:15
  2. Scenario #9 St Mihiel Air Campaign