Ares Games

Thread: The German point of view?

Default The German point of view?

It would be interesting to read an AAR written from the German (or Austrian or Turk/Ottoman) perspective. Did the Germans fly misions similar to Bombs and Blondes, for example?

It is interesting to see a conflict from the other side. I have read a book about Gallipoli (WWI) from the Turkish side, and also one about the Japanese incursions into Australian waters by submarines from the Japanese side.
    With regard to AARs from the Central Powers perspective, they do happen. I think it depends on whether the writer of the AAR was flying a Central Powers plane in the game. It is much easier to write from the perspective of the plane you are flying than in a general way for all planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry R. View Post
    It would be interesting to read an AAR written from the German (or Austrian or Turk/Ottoman) perspective. Did the Germans fly misions similar to Bombs and Blondes, for example?
    If I'm understanding the question correctly, please take a look at the thread group for 'Over the Trenches' campaigns. The participants are posting their missions from both the Entente and Central Powers sides.

Example Link -> OTT EYM Mission 3 - Take These Broken Wings and Learn to Fly 19 Jan 17 {Stumptonian}
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

With regard to the making of the missions as you are given a time slot to represent, I try to keep it topical to the true happenings at the time. In “Bombs and Blondes” for example it was centred around the increase in the u-boat activity at the time and the pen constructions in Zeebrugge. The spy part was added as an extra but was very likely happening at the time too. It is open to the players to reverse the scenario, and it could be that someone may have “bombed” a factory in France or British HQ and picked up a German spy but no-one has opted to do that and all have used the main framework given. Many of the other scenario writers are better than me and usually give an option for either side and in a couple of scenarios I have changed the perspective from Entente to Central, as I fly for the Adlers, but it may come down to which aircraft you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    With regard to the making of the missions as you are given a time slot to represent, I try to keep it topical to the true happenings at the time. In “Bombs and Blondes” for example it was centred around the increase in the u-boat activity at the time and the pen constructions in Zeebrugge.
    The historic setting of the game is important to me, as well. I want the game missions to be historically accurate as much as possible. Making a small study if the flight characteristics if the a/c types....this is interesting and fun. (I'm thinking about a mission involving Nieuport 28s which had a significant structural weakness in the top wing. How could I account for this in the game?).

I'm quite new to historical war gaming. There are a lot of "what if's" in my thinking. And I'm constantly watching for others' perspectives. And at times, as I read the hugely interesting AARs, I find myself cheering for the other side -- ha-ha.

When submitting a scenario for the OTT Solo Campaign I try to base it on an event close to the date I am portraying. We do design the scenarios based on each sides perspective. One of the recent missions OTT EYM 3 by Stumptonian) showed the Albatros D.III wing problems. The mission was designed by a German player and we all got to experience the German pilot's finding out the hard way that the design of their new plane was faulty. History and fun!

Larry, those historical aspects are important to most folks here so you're in good company The gameplay can be tough since it's not a simulation and certain changes can affect other aspects of play, but for your N28's perhaps they could draw a B damage card if doing a steep maneuver. That may have some extreme variance though -- if that's not your thing you could houserule they take 1 point of damage if doing a steep maneuver.

My very first AAR after joining the OTT campaign was modeled after Rudolf Stark's "Wings of War," still one of my favorite reads. Not simply my fictional Jasta leader Krallen, but I tried to emulate the language of his autobiography which is very minimalist, matter-of-fact, and, well... stark.
    OTT-BYM - Mission One -"Deny the Enemy" - 5th October 1916 AAR by malachi

..I'm thinking about a mission involving Nieuport 28s which had a significant structural weakness in the top wing. How could I account for this in the game?...
    If I recall it used to shed fabric so you could use a similar mechanic to that in Pete's mission 3 - either on a dive or overdive draw an A deck card.
    ignore the numbers but on any special damage you shed the fabric & must RTB, add the number too.. A Boom = terminal (or half) damage, of course.

I do like the alternate view of war myself, I have WW2 books by Hajo Hermann (Eagles Wings), Heinz Knoke (I flew For The Fuhrer), Adolf Galland (The First & The Last) as well as a couple on WW1 from MvR, Rudolph Stark & about Rodolf Berthold.
    Know your enemy !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Really well executed AAR, Chris. So nicely presented.

I have a few war memoirs. MvR, Rickenbacker, Bishop..... I'd like to find an English translation of Udet's memoir, at least one I can afford. I'm not familiar with Rudolf Stark, but I'm definately going to look for his book.

It turns out that my long time friend, Jeff B., has Rudolf Stark's Wings of War Kindle version (English translation) for about a buck! Read the first chapter. Good read.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-08-2016, 03:56
  2. An aerial view clip of trenches in a German area
    By Attila57 in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-12-2011, 04:05
  3. "Speeds" in millimeters from center point to center point
    By jbmacek in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-24-2011, 01:14
  4. Point system?
    By LazyEyedPsycho in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-16-2010, 14:58
  5. My next plane (German or german ally)
    By Kungfuhustler in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 04-19-2010, 12:32