Ares Games

Thread: Mission 4 OTT EYM - Bombs and Brunettes - 4th February 1917 - Vagabond

Default Mission 4 OTT EYM - Bombs and Brunettes - 4th February 1917 - Vagabond

I was hunched low in the cockpit, trying to get a little bit of shelter from the biting January cold, hiding behind the small windshield of the Strutter, but it wasn’t helping much. Looking back over my shoulder the sky was clear, almost cloudless and the Observers seat was empty.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jack Cowan AM1a.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	323299 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Joseph Joe Ryan a.jpg 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	323300 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Montagu Biff Anstruther-Browne 1a.jpg 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	323301 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ichiro Takahashi a.jpg 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	323302
    High above, in front I could see the new RE8 flown by Jack Cowan and to either side of him were a couple of Pups flown by my friend Taki and our Flight Commander Biff.

We were a long way over the German side of the lines, I hate these long distance missions, you’re forever looking for the enemy but more disconcerting is the constant listening to the beat of the rotary engine. Listening for the slightest irregularity in its note, any change may mean the temperamental thing packs up, leading to a forced landing with not much chance of getting home.

That’s when I saw the 3 black specks in the distance; they could only be enemy planes.

Name:	001 P1500145.jpg 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	323303
    They saw us straight away and as one, turned in our direction. We’d not seen many of the new Albatros Dlll’s in the last few days and rumour had it that there was some fault with them. If this was true these would be older Dll’s or maybe Halberstadts. Either way it made no difference we still had our job to do and that was why I was flying the Strutter solo.

Name:	002 P1500146.jpg 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	323304
    As the Hun, split their formation preparing to attack our targets came into view. Mine was a rudimentary landing strip North West of a large hanger like building, the building was Jack’s target. The rest of the Squadron had been knocking seven bells out of the new Submarine Pens being built in Zeebrugge. They’d been very successful and we had been tasked with the secondary target, the aforementioned large building.

Name:	003 P1500148.jpg 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	323305
    Jack was flying high in the RE8, 10 or 11,000’ with the intention of dropping his eggs and then heading for home as fast as he could.
    Why Uncle had chosen Jack Cowan and Joe Ryan for a high level bombing mission I couldn’t understand, they really weren’t very good at it. I guess he didn’t trust the new man Jamie MacNab with something of this importance and while P-S would always have been first choice for this sort of outing he and Podgy were due for a spot of leave, which didn’t give him much alternative I guess.

Biff and Taki were at 8 to 9,000’ which is where we expected the enemy scouts to be flying, the Pups objective was to keep the enemy busy while Jack laid the eggs and I landed.

Name:	004 P1500153.jpg 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	323306
    Yes Landed.

We’d crossed the lines high and together but my job was to land and pick up a Spy. I wasn’t very keen on the idea, the Germans were known to shoot Spies, so were we for that matter, but sometimes pilots picking up Spies were accused of spying as well.
    I wasn’t keen to have “SHOT AS A SPY” on my gravestone, assuming I got a gravestone but Uncle didn’t seem to accept my line of reasoning and just asked if he could have my new bottle of Malt if I was disgraced like that.
    I said NO.
    He wasn’t pleased with my response, but what did he expect, the Malt would go in the raffle with the rest of my things if I didn’t get back. Mind you I was pretty keen to get back, the Malt was my favourite, Bunnahabhain, a present from my Aunt Matilda, and I was looking forward to opening it tonight.

Name:	004A P1500155.jpg 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	323307
    I’d dropped lower and lower and was barely skimming the ground at this point. I hoped to become invisible to the Hun machines who would almost certainly have their eyes peeled for an attack on the building, not for some idiot attempting to land miles behind their front lines.

You might ask what was in the shed and why we were hitting it but to be honest we’d been briefed on what the shed contained but it was late last night and I wasn’t really paying attention, so I can’t remember and it’s probably not really important. It might have just been a decoy so that I could land and pick up the Spy, but maybe not.

Name:	004B P1500156.jpg 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	323308
    Anyway there are two problems flying so low, one was that some lonely infantryman might shoot me, but more importantly, was that now, I couldn’t see the landing site. As I’d dropped the final few hundred feet I’d made a mental note of where it was but my mental capacity is sometimes not what I would wish for.

Name:	005 P1500150.jpg 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	323309
    High in the sky I could see that the fight had started and it looked as though the CDL plane was starting to climb to take on Jack and Joe in the RE8 but I expect he wouldn’t like what he found, when and if he got there. Only last week we’d been celebrating Joe Ryan shooting down his 5th victim and I was sure they’d hold their own against a lone scout.

Name:	006 P1500154.jpg 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	323310
    The fight got more intense as all the scouts joined in and one of the German planes started to leave a trail of smoke in the sky.

Name:	007 P1500157.jpg 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	323311
    It looked like Biff had jammed his gun because he didn’t return the fire from the Hun scout, and as seems usual in these head to head confrontations the planes had flown through the opposition and would need to turn back to re-engage.

Name:	007A P1500158.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	323312
    The CDL plane was still climbing but only slowly and I didn’t think it would intercept the RE8 before it reached its target.

Name:	008 P1500159.jpg 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	323313
    He must have thought the same thing because the CDL plane turned and attacked Taki’s Pup, the Pup started to smoke leaving a black oily stain in the bright blue sky.

Name:	009 P1500163.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	323314
    I had my own problems. The landing strip came into sight and I realized I was off by quite a long way. I’d been side slipping to my left but it wasn’t going to be enough. I roundly cursed this business, I knew the Spy had help from the locals but why hadn’t they given me a bigger strip to land on. “Sheer bloody laziness”, that’s all that went through my mind…..that and “oh help”.

Name:	010 P1500164.jpg 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	323315
    Jack Cowan had the big RE8 lined up just perfectly.

Name:	011 P1500169.jpg 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	323316
    A couple of the German Pilots had a close call.

Name:	011A P1500171.jpg 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	323317
    And I had to do something drastic or I would either land amongst the trees or have to fly another circuit. I didn’t want to fly another circuit and so I pulled the stick hard to the left.

Name:	012 P1500172.jpg 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	323318
    And then hard to the right and I could see the strip almost in front of me……Just not quite in front,

Was I close enough?

Name:	012A P1500175.jpg 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	323319
    Dropping the revs and pulling back on the stick to lose speed, I was coming down fast but it was going to be touch and go if I made it onto the runway.

Name:	013 P1500176.jpg 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	323320
    The fight upstairs was still going on but to be honest I was only concentrating on my landing.

Name:	014 P1500178.jpg 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	323321
    One of the Pups was still trailing a plume of smoke but I was only concentrating on my landing.

Name:	015 P1500179.jpg 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	323322
    The fight continued but I was still only concentrating on my landing.

Name:	016 P1500180.jpg 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	323323
    The undercarriage hit the ground, the Strutter bounced and I could see the end of the makeshift runway getting closer, very much closer, far faster and closer than I wanted but you might have guessed that by now.

I nearly jumped out of my flying suit when there was a huge explosion off to my right, yet again I was pleased I always wore my brown fighting trousers, they saved a lot of embarrassments but I held the stick steady and prayed the plane would stop in time.

Name:	017 P1500182.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	323324
    The fight still continued but I really wasn’t paying attention at this stage. You might think it was because I was concentrating on my landing, but you’d be wrong.

I’d already landed.

Name:	017A P1500184.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	323325
    With a huge sigh of relief on my part the Strutter stopped just before running off the end of the strip. A fraction longer and I would have been in the brown stuff. That’s when I looked around and saw about 10 figures break cover from the trees and rush towards my plane. Oh bugger I hope they’re not Hun.

Name:	018 P1500181.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	323326
    They weren’t wearing German grey uniforms and so I risked a glance upward and saw Jack pull the RE8 round and dive, what the hell was he doing, he should be headed for home, I did wonder idly if he’d hit the target. That must have been the explosion I’d heard, the one that frightened me so much.

Of course I’m not going to admit to that.

Name:	019 P1500188a.jpg 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	323327
    One of the Pups was on the tail of a Hun machine and making mince meat of it, well that’s what I hoped, but the chaps who had run out of the trees had lifted the tail of my plane and were turning me around. It looked like the chap who was directing events was actually a chapess, her movements looked vaguely familiar.

Name:	020 P1500189.jpg 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	323328
    The RE8 had joined up with the other Pup and they were looking for trouble.

Name:	021 P1500191.jpg 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	323329
    It looked like trouble was looking for them.

Name:	022 P1500192.jpg 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	323330
    Later I learned it was Biff in the Pup and he took a bullet that creased his left arm. “It made me mad as hell” he remarked as he bought the next round in the Mess that night, “but not enough to slow a good man down” he grinned that wolfish grin of his.

Name:	023 P1500193a.jpg 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	323331
    I think this was Taki chasing a smoking Hun but I was getting a little frantic as the chaps on the ground seemed to be turning my plane around very slowly. Eventually they managed the task and the Spy jumped in the rear seat of the Strutter and waved a goodbye to her compatriots before smacking me on the head and indicating I should make some effort to take off.

Name:	A3 nurse Schultz.jpg 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	323332
    The Spy was Nurse Schultz, if you’ve been paying attention to my past reminiscences you might have heard me mention her once or twice, usually in a very complementary way. What the hell she was doing in Belgium, way behind enemy lines when she should have been in the field hospital looking after the sick and wounded I had no idea. There was no wonder I was a little slow setting off down the runway but the slap around my head started me in motion.

Name:	024 P1500195.jpg 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	323333
    Things had taken on an almost surreal turn of events but confusion is my natural sate of affairs and so I can cope with it easily. We skimmed down the runway, gathering speed and with plenty of room I was able to give some thought to this strange turn of events before the take off took all my attention.

Name:	025 P1500194.jpg 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	323334
    Up in the sky, Jack was finding the RE8 a little more sedate than the FEE but was enjoying having his own gun to extract a bit of revenge for past injustices. Although he wasn’t really using it to best advantage at this stage of proceedings, but he would get better.

Name:	026 P1500196.jpg 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	323335
    Joe Ryan though, was on target, making up for Jacks poor shooting, although the Lewis is notably prone to jamming.

Name:	027 P1500197.jpg 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	323336
    Biff was exchanging shots with the Brown Halberstadt and must have hit something vital because it burst into flames.

Name:	028 P1500198.jpg 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	323337
    Then Taki caught it from behind, a perfect double teaming manoeuvre, and the brown Halbi went down in a ball of flames.

Name:	029 P1500200.jpg 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	323338
    Taki continued to fly forwards and immediately attacked a Dll, he would have been hit and wounded if he didn’t have a lucky Japanese Samurai charm in the cockpit, but as it was he could carry on the fight.

KILL TO TAKI the Lucky Pilot.

Name:	030 P1500202.jpg 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	323339
    The two planes continued to exchange shots as I swung away from the runway intending to sneak off home with my precious cargo.

Name:	031 P1500203.jpg 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	323340
    A close encounter in mid air, as Taki and the cameo Dll pass wing tip to wing tip after their furious exchange of bullets.

Name:	032 P1500207.jpg 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	323341
    Taki observes the plume of smoke with a great deal of satisfaction but would have preferred his enemy to have hit the ground like the brown Halberstadt.

Name:	033 P1500208.jpg 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	323342
    Unfortunately I can see that I’ve been spotted and the Germans must have realized that I’m carrying a Spy. A Spy who will have information that they must prevent reaching our Intelligence Service, although that’s a bit of a misnomer. Anyway the CDL Halberstadt is diving down in pursuit and I don’t think I’m going to out run him.

Name:	034 P1500209.jpg 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	323343
    Well both Jack and Joe have had a shot and it’s not slowed or stopped him. In the near distance Biff is also losing height, presumably to protect us. Well, at least, I hope that’s what he has in mind.

Name:	035 P1500211.jpg 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	323344
    The Hun is getting closer and I look back at my new Observer/Gunner and she raises a thumb before cocking the Lewis and firing a quick burst to warm the gun. I’m heartened by this but still a little nonplussed by the situation.

Name:	036 P1500212.jpg 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	323345
    I’m even more heartened when, in the ensuing exchange of gunfire my Nurse in the back, shoots lumps off the Halberstadt.

3 damage minus 1 because of the scenario writer, damn his eyes.

Name:	037 P1500213.jpg 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	323346
    This quickly turns to dismay as the exchange of fire continues, she is hit and blood stains her jacket, it looks bad but what to do. If I continue to run we’re dead meat and so in spite of the fact that I can see she’s badly hurt we are going to have to turn and fight to stay alive.

Name:	038 P1500216.jpg 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	323347
    We take more damage and I can feel the rudder is stiff to the left but that’s ok.

Name:	039 P1500215.jpg 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	323348
    Partly because I can see my old partner Jack Cowen in the RE8 coming to the rescue.

Name:	040 P1500217.jpg 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	323349
    And partly because I intend to hang a right.

Name:	041 P1500218.jpg 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	323350
    I pull the stick hard over and kick the rudder bar just as Jack and Biff both catch up with my pursuer and blast him from behind.

Name:	042 P1500222.jpg 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	323351
    They continue to fire into the hapless Halbi and Jack hits his engine for a second time and it’s a
    KILL TO COWAN

As I pull round I catch sight of the final Hun and open fire at the same time as Joe Ryan.

Name:	043 P1500224.jpg 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	323352
    Joe is a little slow and hits him after my bullets blow his plane apart. He rolls over and flies straight into the ground.

When we get back Joe Ryan jokingly says it must be his kill because he’s the new Ace in town but when Nurse Schultz glares at him, saying she inflicted most damage and if I hadn’t been so unsporting and taken the shot she was ready to finish the job as we flew past. Joe concedes she might be right but I make the claim, although I emphasise the roll played by the Spy, Nurse Schultz in the dog fight.

KILL TO VAGABOND

Nurse Schultz was driven off to her own hospital ward, maintaining bravely that she was alright and we should stop fussing like blessed mother hens.

I shall be visiting her as soon as possible to find out why I had to fly half way to Berlin to pick her up in a field in Belgium. I always thought there was more to this woman than meets the eye and in spite of some scurrilous slander she is not stout, just very well proportioned.

Butchers Tally:

Name:	050 P1500226.jpg 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	323353
    2/Lt Jack CowanRTB – 1 Kill (Krause) – In spite of being perfectly aligned Jack dropped the bombs a little too early and they missed the target completely.

2/Lt Joe RyanRTB – 0 Kills

2/Lt John Vagabond:RTB - 1 Kill (Braun)
    I’m not sure if because of Nurse Schultz wounds this is FRTB so I rolled 5+2 so no crash. As she's not piloting left it as RTB

Nurse Schultz:RTB / WIA – 0 Kills, but she maintains she should have.
    C&W rolled 8 +1RTB -1WIA = 8 - Injured skip 1D2 scenarios, rolled 5 = skip 2.
    Dave I think there’s more to this but I’m in Spain and don’t have the rules, would you mind correcting for me if necessary, thanks. Uncle has it, as always !

Name:	051 P1500227.jpg 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	323354
    Lt Montague “Biff” Anstruther-Browne:RTB / WIA – 0 Kills.
    C&W rolled 7 +1RTB +1ACE -1WIA = 8 - Injured Skip 1D2 scenarios, Rolled 3 = skip 1.

2/Lt Ichiro Takahashi: – FRTB-D 1 Kill (Thiede)
    Landing rolled 6+6 crashed.
    C&W Rolled 8 +1ACE +1RTB -1FRTB = 9 All’s well when you (crash) land well !

Name:	052 P1500228.jpg 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	323355
    Ltn Johannes Braun: (Thanks Dave) – SD-FT 0 Kills
    C&W Rolled 5 -1SD = 4 - Injured Skip 1D6 scenarios, rolled 2 = skip 2.

Name:	053 P1500229.jpg 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	323356
    Ltn Fritz Krause: - SD-FT 0 Kills
    C&W rolled 4 -1SD = 3 - Injured skip 1D6 scenarios - rolled 4 = skip 4.

Name:	054 P1500230.jpg 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	323357
    Ltn Wilhelm Thiede: - SD-FLM-FT 0 Kills
    C&W Rolled 11 -2FLM = 9 All’s well when you land well

Victory Points:
    Entente:
    Bomber hits target. 20pts = 0pts
    Near miss. 10pts = 0pts
    Scout shot down 5pts = 15pts
    Scout FRTB 2pts = 0pts
    Spy returned to base 10pts = 10pts
    Total = 25pts

Central:
    Bombs miss target altogether 10pts = 10pts
    Bomber SD or FRTB a before dropping bombs 15pts = 0pts
    Bomber SD or FRTB after dropping bombs 7pts = 0pts
    Scout/2-seater shot down 5pts = 0pts
    Scout/2-seater FRTB 2pts = 2pts
    Total = 12pts
    Last edited by Vagabond; 02-16-2023 at 10:15. Reason: Tally Tidy

Quite the adventure, as usual for a Vagabondian escapade.
    Looks like you managed to pull off a victory, although Cowan apparently needs to go back to bombing school.
    Your 'girlfriend' did well, although times being what they were she will get no credit.
    REP on't way ...

P.S. I looked up your Bunnahabhain - might have to add that to our collection ...

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	323359
    The 12 year that is.

The 25's a bit steep at $623.99

Splendid job, John, the Eagles were a tad unlucky with their C/W rolls but congrats on your landing; your storyline's always gives me a chuckle or two.

Uncle says:

Name:	Uncle Outside.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	323360

Bravo chaps, bombed the target, sent Jerry off with a flea in his ear & saved the damsel in distress, though I'm not sure that particular damsel would ever be in distress ! HQ will be very pleased with this days work. Now lets slip along to the Mess to celebrate our victories

2/Lt Jack Cowan is awarded the Military Cross to go along with his previous decorations achieved in the other ranks for his service & victories to King & country
    Last edited by flash; 02-15-2023 at 01:53.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quite escapade for your chaps and chapess (will we ever know the full story behind Nurse Schultz - probably not). I would have thought it would have been a good idea to have the stou...er, well proportioned nurse stay behind enemy lines and offer weekly colonic irrigations for the Adler crew. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    P.S. I looked up your Bunnahabhain - might have to add that to our collection. The 12 year that is. The 25's a bit steep at $623.99
    I well remember our trip - now far too many years ago - to Islay and the trip down a very narrow country land to the Bunnahabhain distillery. Other than chasing livestock off the lane I remember the lovely views across the Sound of Islay to Loch a' Chnuic Bhric on Jura. A great trip.

I think Jack needs to enrol on the bomber’s course, missing the huge barn! What was The good nurse doing in Belgium? If memory serves, I think she has manned the guns before. great story and result for your boys, but looked in trouble at one stage.
    With no deaths or captures a good result all round, I think points wise the Bulldogs edged it. Hope you enjoyed the mission and look forward to future Nurse stories which may explain things.

Bunnahabhain Islay whisky - reminds me of the time I met this guy at a whisky tasting on a cross channel ferry. Said he liked Islay whiskys only because his dad found them too peaty, so, dad wouldn't touch them Too peaty for me too I'm afraid.

As for travelling the roads to freedom in order to reprieve Nurse Schultz. Are you sure you did the right thing? - That woman obviously has iron in the soul and should be left well alone, stout or well proportioned. I reckon she might not be too pleased at your allowing her to be wounded either. All sounds very bizarre to me.

Despite those misgivings, I really enjoyed your take on this mission John. Another amusing adventure for Vagabond and a good taste of victory for the Bulldogs. Hurrah

And congratulations to Jack Cowan for his Military Cross -

Rep inbound if I can get it to work

Cowan's Cross was well deserved John, as is the mention in Dispatches I am forwarding. Look out for a reply from The War Office in your Rep box.

Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quite the adventure, as usual for a Vagabondian escapade.
    Looks like you managed to pull off a victory, although Cowan apparently needs to go back to bombing school.
    Your 'girlfriend' did well, although times being what they were she will get no credit.
    REP on't way ...

P.S. I looked up your Bunnahabhain - might have to add that to our collection ...

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	323359
    The 12 year that is.

The 25's a bit steep at $623.99
    Pete, my relationship with Nurse Schultz is purely platonic, she pumps me for information and I tell her what she want's to know.......possibly.

My actual childhood sweetheart was Bunty Hampster-Crust, she sort of threw me over for that cad Berry who is now a POW and then transferred to the Northwest Frontier to avoid the complications associated with her relationship with Berry the Cad and the handsome debonair 2nd Lt Vagabond.

Cowan was never very good at releasing the bombs on time and neither am I.

Regarding the Bunnahabhain, I'm a little surprised that you have a whisky collection, I've always found that the minute I open a bottle the evaporation starts to take effect and in no time at all the bottle is empty and the room smells wonderfully of whisky. At least , that's what I think happens, but sometimes it's hard to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Splendid job, John, the Eagles were a tad unlucky with their C/W rolls but congrats on your landing; your storyline's always gives me a chuckle or two.

Uncle says:

Name:	Uncle Outside.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	323360

Bravo chaps, bombed the target, sent Jerry off with a flea in his ear & saved the damsel in distress, though I'm not sure that particular damsel would ever be in distress ! HQ will be very pleased with this days work. Now lets slip along to the Mess to celebrate our victories

2/Lt Jack Cowan is awarded the Military Cross to go along with his previous decorations achieved in the other ranks for his service & victories to King & country
    Thanks Dave, if I make anyone chuckle that's all I'm aiming for. Between them Jack Cowan and Joe Ryan are my most decorated airmen, if they wore their medals in the air, their plane would never be able to take off with the weight of the excess metal. I'm happy that they are well decorated because I envisage them as being bold, brave, fearless and wouldn't understand any of those phrases.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post

Regarding the Bunnahabhain, I'm a little surprised that you have a whisky collection, I've always found that the minute I open a bottle the evaporation starts to take effect and in no time at all the bottle is empty and the room smells wonderfully of whisky. At least , that's what I think happens, but sometimes it's hard to remember.
    The trick is to have so many that you can't get through them all in one siting ...

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Quite escapade for your chaps and chapess (will we ever know the full story behind Nurse Schultz - probably not). I would have thought it would have been a good idea to have the stou...er, well proportioned nurse stay behind enemy lines and offer weekly colonic irrigations for the Adler crew. Just a thought.

I well remember our trip - now far too many years ago - to Islay and the trip down a very narrow country land to the Bunnahabhain distillery. Other than chasing livestock off the lane I remember the lovely views across the Sound of Islay to Loch a' Chnuic Bhric on Jura. A great trip.
    One of my big brags is that we sailed down the sound between Jura and Islay and passed the Bunnahabhain and Caol Ila Distilleries, then got storm bound in Port Ellen. We eventually left to sail to Northern Ireland but the seas were still too rough for us to make enough distance to beat the change of the tidal stream in the Saint George Channel and we had to go back to Port Ellen. Due to the wind I couldn't get our boat back onto the same pontoon in the harbour but made it onto the one next in line. This totally confused our neighbour in the harbour because we'd gone out at 6, got back at 8 and he awoke at 9 wondering why we had moved 1 pontoon. I'm not sure he believed our explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    I think Jack needs to enrol on the bomber’s course, missing the huge barn! What was The good nurse doing in Belgium? If memory serves, I think she has manned the guns before. great story and result for your boys, but looked in trouble at one stage.
    With no deaths or captures a good result all round, I think points wise the Bulldogs edged it. Hope you enjoyed the mission and look forward to future Nurse stories which may explain things.
    Baz I've never been very good at high level bombing. This time I measured out the distance it would take the bombs to drop from a stall and a straight, committed that to memory and played out the game, Jack dropped the bombs on a stall and I was fairly certain I remembered the distance they would fall. I was wrong. it maybe I got the number of moves in the air wrong because he was exactly 1 move away from dead centre.

It was an interesting scenario but the game split into 2 halves. The first half was very pedestrian, not much happened and I didn't get much right, the landing was almost a disaster. I also had an inordinate amount of gun jams, 11 or 12 from memory and I was going to call it a day and let Vagabond fly off the edge of the known world but thought that it might make the story a bit more interesting if Nurse Schultz got to fire a gun in anger. So I continued and it turned into a really fun 2nd half with lots of action. At one point Vagabonds plane would have flown off the edge of the mat and so I moved everyone back so I could play out the drama.
    Sorry I didn't calculate the points, but I tend not to. If we knock down a couple of the enemy and return home....that's a win for me.
    Cheers

The trick is to have so many that you can't get through them all in one siting ...
    Good grief, when can I come and visit.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Bunnahabhain Islay whisky - reminds me of the time I met this guy at a whisky tasting on a cross channel ferry. Said he liked Islay whiskys only because his dad found them too peaty, so, dad wouldn't touch them Too peaty for me too I'm afraid.

As for travelling the roads to freedom in order to reprieve Nurse Schultz. Are you sure you did the right thing? - That woman obviously has iron in the soul and should be left well alone, stout or well proportioned. I reckon she might not be too pleased at your allowing her to be wounded either. All sounds very bizarre to me.

Despite those misgivings, I really enjoyed your take on this mission John. Another amusing adventure for Vagabond and a good taste of victory for the Bulldogs. Hurrah

And congratulations to Jack Cowan for his Military Cross -

Rep inbound if I can get it to work
    Mike not all Islay Malts are peaty, in my opinion Laphroaig is like Iodine, Mrs V likes it, but I wouldn't drink it if it cured Rickets. Bunnahabain is nothing like that. It's a complex smoky whisky that I could sniff all day. I've never really got on with the Speyside Malts, they always give me headache the following day but the Island malts don't. No idea why.
    I have an unopened battle of Bunnahabain that I'm saving for a special occasion, if you and Yon ever travel north then that will be a special occasion.

I'm not sure why you would avoid a woman with iron in her soul, they're the best kind and I'm sure Nurse Schultz will come good in the end, although I'm not sure for which side that might be.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Cowan's Cross was well deserved John, as is the mention in Dispatches I am forwarding. Look out for a reply from The War Office in your Rep box.

Kyte.
    I'll check this out immediately.

...Sorry I didn't calculate the points, but I tend not to. If we knock down a couple of the enemy and return home....that's a win for me..
    Uncle has calculated a 25 v 12 pts victory to the Bulldogs.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Uncle has calculated a 25 v 12 pts victory to the Bulldogs.
    Uncle - you are a pearl beyond price, of course I'm well down a bottle of very nice white Rioja after a hard day enjoying myself so maybe not so lucid as I should be.
    Cheers Dave

One of my big brags is that we sailed down the sound between Jura and Islay and passed the Bunnahabhain and Caol Ila Distilleries, then got storm bound in Port Ellen. We eventually left to sail to Northern Ireland but the seas were still too rough for us to make enough distance to beat the change of the tidal stream in the Saint George Channel and we had to go back to Port Ellen. Due to the wind I couldn't get our boat back onto the same pontoon in the harbour but made it onto the one next in line. This totally confused our neighbour in the harbour because we'd gone out at 6, got back at 8 and he awoke at 9 wondering why we had moved 1 pontoon. I'm not sure he believed our explanation.
    I agree about Laphroaig, but it has the best distillery tour that we've experienced - because they do their own maltings, they let you taste the product at each stage and the tour is given my the manager or a master distiller. I think their plan is to get you used to the taste by the end of the tour. It didn't work on us.

Some relics from our trip - the 17 year old Ardbeg has been consumed. Yes, they used to make 17 year Ardbeg but that was before they stopped production in 1981, when they resumed in the 90s they went with 10 year.

Name:	IMG_5608.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	323446

Bruichladdich is nice too.

Bunnahabain is nothing like that. It's a complex smoky whisky that I could sniff all day.
    OK John - you have convinced me I shall see if I can get hold of a bottle.
    I have an unopened battle of Bunnahabain that I'm saving for a special occasion, if you and Yon ever travel north then that will be a special occasion.
    And that, my friend, is an invitation I cannot ignore - Don't know when, don't know where, but we'll be up there some sunny day

Good grief, when can I come and visit.
    Anytime!

Great AAR on the various Whiskeys. !!!!

As usual a cracking good read and some lovely photos to match. Well done on a splendid victory.

Now where is the Gin bottle?

Another great tale John. Good thing Nurse Schultz is still with us to be seen in future adventures!

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-15-2023, 09:46
  2. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-15-2023, 09:33
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-10-2023, 07:00
  4. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 02-24-2023, 19:35
  5. Replies: 69
    Last Post: 07-04-2019, 13:20