Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schedule For Origins 2023

Default Schedule For Origins 2023

Here is the schedule for this year Origins Game Fair. It is an exciting schedule with a wide variety of games we think you will love.

Origins Games 2023

Wed Noon Wings of Glory WW1 Nieuport 28s vs. Fokker D.VIIs

Wed Noon Tripods and Triplanes Martian Rampage

Weds. 3:00 Wings of Glory WW2: Spanish Civil War Action.

Wed 3:00 Wings of Glory WW1 Not on My Watch

Thur 9am Wings of Glory WW1 Welcome to Bomber School!

Thur 9am Wings of Glory WW2 Schnell Bombers Heading Home

Thur 9am Sails of Glory The Glorious 22nd of June

Thur noon Wings of Glory WW1 The Fokker Scourge in the Middle East

Thurs noon Wings of Glory WW3 Eastern Front Breakthrough

Thur 3:00 Wing of Glory WW2: Kamikaze attack!

Thurs 3:00 Wings of Glory WW1 Rescue the Raiders

Fri 9am Wings of Glory WW2: Raid on New Guinea.

Fri 9am Wings of Glory WW1 Raid on Otranto

Fri 9am Tripods and Triplanes Earth Fights Back!

Fri noon Wings of Glory WW2: Hit the E-Boats!

Fri noon Wings of Glory WW1 French Bombing Mission

Fri 3:00 Wings of Glory WW1 Bombers on A Mission

Fri 3:00 Sails of Glory Running the Shoals

Sat 9am Wings of Glory WW2: Starving the Fox

Sat 9am Wings of Glory WW1 Tigre! Tigre! Tigre!

Sat noon Wings of Glory WW2 The Day of the Eagles

Sat noon Sails of Glory To The Death

Sat 3:00 Wings of Glory WW2: The Graf Zeppelin is in the Atlantic!

Sat 3pm Wings of Glory WW1 Fighter Sweep

Sat. 7:00 Harry Paul Materne III Memorial Tournament

Sun 10am Wings of Glory WW1 Dawn Patrol

Sun noon Wings of Glory WW1 Right up to the Bloody End
    Last edited by flash; 05-26-2023 at 08:06.

Here's to them what are like us. Damn few and they're all dead.

Quote Originally Posted by rhodie80 View Post
    Wed Noon Wings of Glory WW1 Nieuport 29s vs. Fokker D.VIIs
    Nieuport 29?
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    Nieuport 29?
    Must be a 1919 game
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Great looking schedule, chaps..

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    Nieuport 29?
    Hmmmm, I'm assuming N28s. I put the schedule together without knowing what the game details for Jim and Bill's games were to be. I left their slots open for Jim to fill in.

I fixed the Nieuport issue. Don’t drink and post kids.

Here's to them what are like us. Damn few and they're all dead.

"Raid on Otranto" sounds interesting - I'm guessing some seaplane action. I look forward to the photos!

Sound advice Jim!

Certainly better than drinking and driving; often more humorous results too
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Certainly better than drinking and driving; often more humorous results too
    Karl
    How true!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

looks like a lot of fun.
    ill add that im running a wgf game thur 7pm-10pm late war dogfight in the western ohio games club area. no idea where well be in relation to ares booth yet.

Excellent schedule guys!!! I get to return back to fly with you chaps at Origins this year!!! Can't wait to get there!!!

It will be great to see you again Timothy. Sounds like quite a few people showing that haven't been since pre-covid. It's going to be great!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    It will be great to see you again Timothy. Sounds like quite a few people showing that haven't been since pre-covid. It's going to be great!
    You lucky people, look forward to seeing pics of you in action at the tables

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

It will be great to see you too Peter!!! Your scenarios are FUN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    You lucky people, look forward to seeing pics of you in action at the tables
    It will be great to meet Tim!!! But for me Dave, it will be a different convention without you flying with us!!!

I found a poster for one of the games: Starving the Fox:

Name:  Not exactly sporting..jpg
Views: 739
Size:  105.0 KB

Karl

Here is the schedule for this year Origins Game Fair. It is an exciting schedule with a wide variety of games we think you will love.

Origins Games 2023

Wed Noon Wings of Glory WW1 Nieuport 28s vs. Fokker D.VIIs

Wed Noon Tripods and Triplanes Martian Rampage
    Question from the old lady - if you know the rules for Wings, are the new rules for the Martians difficult? Don't want to drag down the game by asking/being too slow...

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheryl Nantus View Post
    Question from the old lady - if you know the rules for Wings, are the new rules for the Martians difficult? Don't want to drag down the game by asking/being too slow...

Thanks in advance!
    Airplanes fly the same as Wings. Martians play very differently and are a fun challenge. They plot 3 moves like planes but are juggling energy management, movement and offensive options. Rules will be taught. Not difficult, just a little different as a Martian.

Origins event registration begins Apr 29th, 1pm (ET)

*raises hand*

I can't seem to find these events listed on the Origins ticket site. Have things changed?

Thanks in advance!

*raises hand*

I can't seem to find these events listed on the Origins ticket site. Have things changed?

Thanks in advance!
    I saw that our games were not listed yesterday morning and informed Jim. He submitted them and has been in contact with the Origins staff in the past. Hope theyu get us posted soon.

from what ive heard gamas in its usual state of chaos. they messed up our groups perks and most of us dont even havae badges yet. this is getting annoying. last time i checked ares games still not up.

my thur 7-10 games up, but in whats getting to be something of a tradition its misspelled being listed under "wings of gloary" with no title in the 1st box. its a late war dogfight.

i hope things get smoothed out soon.

We are not alone. There is a lot of griping on facebook and on the Geek. You would think after all these years GAMA would have this down.

I have noticed a lot of groups games not being listed. How can they still screw this up after all these years!

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    I have noticed a lot of groups games not being listed. How can they still screw this up after all these years!
    I do not understand why, with all the Wings games that are being put on at Origins, that we do not create a Wings Weekend event as opposed to going through the Origins hassle (and costs). Problem though is having dealers that actually have Ares product I guess. A few years ago I was thinking about organizing such an event for Ohio, to be held in Sunbury (near the center of the state) at the local American Legion Post. But as I live two hours away thought that it would be best suited for someone closer to organize. Hmmm, I just went off topic...mea culpa!

Quote Originally Posted by predhead View Post
    I do not understand why, with all the Wings games that are being put on at Origins, that we do not create a Wings Weekend event as opposed to going through the Origins hassle (and costs). Problem though is having dealers that actually have Ares product I guess. A few years ago I was thinking about organizing such an event for Ohio, to be held in Sunbury (near the center of the state) at the local American Legion Post. But as I live two hours away thought that it would be best suited for someone closer to organize. Hmmm, I just went off topic...mea culpa!
    A good idea, but since the Columbus Flight has flown, no one is close enough to organize it.
    Something like DayCon or Check Your 6 day down in Dayton would be good. At this point, the monthly Wright Flight games are all we have.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    A good idea, but since the Columbus Flight has flown, no one is close enough to organize it.
    Something like DayCon or Check Your 6 day down in Dayton would be good. At this point, the monthly Wright Flight games are all we have.
    Karl
    Oh, I was not aware that Columbus has flown the coup...had a strong group there. I want to stay away from DayCon simply because they have their own thing going on...but hey, it is just a dream!

It would be really great to have a Wings dedicated convention but where to host it? We Wings players here in the US are spread all over.

Running a show is not a trifle. Getting enough committed attendants to pay the bills would be a big question in the beginning. Once established with a history like Doncaster and Prague most of the risk is gone. Could we get there?

The big draw to me for Origins is the Wednesday to Sunday schedule. Most local shows are only Friday-Sunday with people heading out on Sunday so truly only a 2 day event. Even the larger HMGS Fall In and Cold Wars are Friday-Sunday. Origins gives me 5 days of gaming and running games for 27 hours of driving. Cold Wars and Fall In I get 2 days for 16 hours.

Oh, I was not aware that Columbus has flown the coup...had a strong group there. I want to stay away from DayCon simply because they have their own thing going on...but hey, it is just a dream!
    DayCon this year was very heavy on war, tabletop, and board games. I am sure Randy would be very appreciative if you could get more attendees. The Wings games they had were full and there were pick up games during the convention as well. It is only a Friday Saturday convention though. Not sure many would want to travel far for a two day event.

There is also CincyCon and Advance the Colors which are at a larger venues.

The players that mostly came to the Columbus games are no longer active here; I understand that they are running a few WoG games at Origins.
    It still comes down to someone or ones organizing the venture. As Peter points out, it can be expensive.
    A 2 hour trip is a day trip for me; Dayton is a weekend, so hotel and work considerations. I'm sure most of us have similar issues.
    The first one (or 2 or 3) will be hard.
    Karl

Our games are now posted in the Origins Schedule of Events!!!!

Yes, they sure are!!! I just signed up for a few games!!! See you there!!!

14 games signed up

I am flying to CA this year with my family on June 21. Of course i didn't check the Origins dates, that dumb i am.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    14 games signed up
    How do I go about doing this?

Got mine! Thanks to all for organizing this and harassing Origins to get them set up! Looking forward to seeing everyone - let's fly!

Got mine! Thanks to all for organizing this and harassing Origins to get them set up! Looking forward to seeing everyone - let's fly!
    So say we all.

Oops

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    How do I go about doing this?
    From something Teaticket said there is always a delay for presenters to get their badges.

I got my badge a couple of months back.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    From something Teaticket said there is always a delay for presenters to get their badges.

I got my badge a couple of months back.
    He has PM'd me about it - should be OK.

Origins Site Book is up.

Are we the Ares Gamers on p10, Hall C, section 2316?

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    Origins Site Book is up.

Are we the Ares Gamers on p10, Hall C, section 2316?
    Yes, we are the ARES Gamers so that will be us!

Apologies if this is not the right venue (I can delete if needed) but wanted to advertise for players for an unofficial game Friday evening around 8:00pm in the play area. If you're at Origins, come join the fun, room for 10-12 players

Hounding the Hun in the North Sea
    Spring 1918

French:
    1 or 2 x Donnet-Denhaut DD8s depending on # of players
    1-3 x HD2s depending on # of players

Seefrosta:
    3-5 scouts depending on # of players
    available: 1 x Alb D.III, 1 x Alb D.V, 2 x Alb D.Va, 2 x Pfalz D.IIIa

Draw roundel chits to see who is French and German. Pilots pick their plane. 2 DD8s if 5+ players.

BOOM cards = half damage rounded down.

Ceiling = Altitude 5 with climb chits.

Blind Spot rule is in effect for DD8 rear gunner.

Wounded DD8 Crew: roll a D3 to see which crewman was hit: 1 front gunner, 2 pilot, 3 rear gunner. A gunner is knocked out for the rest of the turn he is hit and the whole next turn. He returns to action at the start of the next turn with these penalties: 4 phases to unjam gun & fires at short-range only. If wounded again, gunner is out for the rest of the game. 2nd pilot wound = dead.

Hanriot HD2: first maneuver card may not be an Immelmann/Split-S.

UB-III Subs: Numbered 1 3 2 across the mat (3 in the middle). Numbered sub counters are placed on the base of a DD8 to show it hounded a particular sub (stall within half a ruler). A sub hounded twice is suppressed and removed from play - worth 1 point. To split the DD8s and make it challenging for them to patrol, they will each be responsible for a sub (#1 or #2) that only they can suppress. They can combine to suppress sub #3.

DD8s: start at Alt 3. They must be at Alt 2 or Alt 1 to suppress a sub.

HD2s: start at Alt 3.

Seefrosta: start at Alt 4 and are bouncing the enemy from one ruler behind (historical in a similar clash).

Mission: DD8s must suppress all subs then exit the left edge of the mat or the south edge of the mat from Dunkerque to the left corner (peg is off the board and draw A cards if on fire).

FRTB: players make the judgment call for themselves if they wish to try and exit the fight (giving the enemy 2 points) or stay and fight it out (risking giving the enemy 5 or 6 points).

French - exit the left edge of the mat or the south edge of the mat from Dunkerque to the left corner.

Seefrosta – exit the right edge of the mat or the south edge below Ostend to the right corner.

Respawn: within the first hour. DD8s don't respawn, come back as an HD2.

Scoring:
    Sub suppressed = 1 pt
    DD8 shot down = 6 pts
    enemy scout shot down = 5 pts
    enemy plane FRTB = 2 pts

Name:  0605231518.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  108.1 KB

Gee, what to do after a day of running and playing games....another game!

Karl

Looks like a great scenario Chris. Looking forward to the AAR.

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post

never underestimate gamas ability to eff things up. took them weeks after games went up to get most of our groups gms badges.

Monday morning begins the two day drive to Origins. Can't wait to see everyone out there!

Monday morning begins the two day drive to Origins. Can't wait to see everyone out there!
    Safe travels!!

I'm glad my drive is only 2 hours. Peter is a seriously dedicated GM.

Karl

Planes packed; bags almost packed; car left to pack, and then on the way.

Karl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Origins 2019 Schedule of Games
    By matt56 in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-07-2019, 03:18
  2. Origins 2017 schedule of games
    By matt56 in forum Origins Game Fair
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-04-2017, 21:32
  3. National: Origins 2017 schedule of games
    By matt56 in forum US Wing