Ares Games

Thread: Jasta 64 colors?

Default Jasta 64 colors?

Being a WoW/WoG noob, plus being stuck indoors due to the recent frigid and icy weather, my thoughts and interests related to WoW/WoG have had time to evolve a bit. As I finish a couple of projects (two paper models and a home brewed terrain map) a mental image comes into focus.....three Nieuport 28s of the 94th AEF squadron vs a/c of Jasta 64 (Alb. D-Va, Pfalz D-III, and a third plane TBD). The Nieuports will be those of Rickenbacker, Campbell, and Winslow. I'd like to have the German pilots who were shot down by Campbell and Winslow on 13 April 1918....I don't have their names at the moment, but am fairly certain I can find them.

Colors for the Nieuports are available, but I have yet to find a reliable source for Jasta 64 color schemes. Perhaps forum members can point out a good reference with clear illustrations?

www.theaerodrome.com - Jasta 64w Article & Photos

articles on Jasta 64w by our good friends Stephen Lawson and Terry "Taz" Phillips which appeared in the latest issue of Over the Front, Volume 22 Number 4, winter 2007? The issue contained many fine photos of the Jasta 64w Pfalz D.IIIa 8033/17 flown by Offstv. Schüschke, and of the Albatros D.Va brought down by Alan Winslow on 14 April 1918. As you know, an Allied intelligence report stated that the markings of Jasta 64w were red and black stripes on the tailplane (which would be appropriate for a Württemberg Staffel). Both the Albatros D.Va and the Pfalz D.IIIa show what I assume are red and black stripes on top of the tailplane and elevator.

www.theaerodrome.com - Color Scheme for Campbell"s First Pfalz?

Pfalz D.III shot down by Douglas Campbell on 14 April 1918, the first victory for a US trained pilot in a US squadron. This aircraft is identified as the Pfalz D.III flown by Vzfw Wronicki of Jasta 64.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 02-03-2023 at 09:51.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Jasta Colors volume 1, Bruno Schmaling, Aeronaut Books, 2020, ppg 179-182. Includes an excellent color planform view profile of Rudolf Lochner's Fok. D.VII of Jasta 64.
    Last edited by malachi; 02-03-2023 at 12:31.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Albatros_D-Va_Jasta64w.png 
Views:	68 
Size:	489.9 KB 
ID:	322856
    Albatros D.Va from Jasta 64w [Pilot not identified]

From: cs.finescale.com - Albatros DVa Jasta 64w 1/32 Wingnut Wings
    Mike

Thank-you, Mike and Chris. I immediately went to Amazon and found one copy available of Over the Front, winter 2007, and placed the order!

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Albatros_D-Va_Jasta64w.png 
Views:	68 
Size:	489.9 KB 
ID:	322856
    Albatros D.Va from Jasta 64w [Pilot not identified]

From: cs.finescale.com - Albatros DVa Jasta 64w 1/32 Wingnut Wings
    That is a stunning plane

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Look up the Rudolf Lochner Fokker D.VII. Reduced Aircraft Factory has a colored print of this. I love the red and black tail.

The grey overall scheme is interesting. I haven't seen such before on a WW1 German plane.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    The grey overall scheme is interesting. I haven't seen such before on a WW1 German plane.
    Karl
    There are discrepancies. One Entente pilot supposedly had some fabric from a Jasta 64w Pfalz D.III he shot down, with a lozenge pattern. I'm not personally sure of the provenance. However, the fuselage bands of black before and after the cross, and the empennage colours correspond to the recorded Jasta colour scheme. Take the above image with a grain of salt.
    Mike

Looking around the web a bit, I found that print of Ernst Udet's Albatross D.V while with Jasta 37 in the Autumn, 1917 is all grey/silver with a black nose and front deck.
    https://www.bravobravoaviation.com/e...tumn-1917.html

Also, Jasta 64 had Pfalz D.IIIs at one point, with the aluminum doped skins. Maybe a case of mistaken aircraft type?
    The grey wings bother me; the lack of camo isn't unheard of, but not common, IIRC.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Looking around the web a bit, I found that print of Ernst Udet's Albatross D.V while with Jasta 37 in the Autumn, 1917 is all grey/silver with a black nose and front deck.
    https://www.bravobravoaviation.com/e...tumn-1917.html

Also, Jasta 64 had Pfalz D.IIIs at one point, with the aluminum doped skins. Maybe a case of mistaken aircraft type?
    The grey wings bother me; the lack of camo isn't unheard of, but not common, IIRC.
    Karl

For the two aircraft shot down on April 14th, I cobbled this together from a few different sources, mostly the Nieuport 28: America's First Fighter by Theodore Hamady.

The Albatros is mostly light gray, with lozenge pattern wings, and the Jasta 64 unit markings of black and red striped tailplane (see below). There were no personal markings. The Pfalz is overall silver-gray with the Jasta markings on the tailplane and having lozenge pattern wings.

From my post:
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/en...pril-14th-1918

The black & red tail colors come from the Württemberg flag. (Jasta 64 was a Royal Württemberg unit.)

In the quarterly publication Over the Front, volume 22 , number 4 (winter 2007), photos of Lt. Alan Winslow standing beside the Albatros D-Va which he shot down show striped horizontal tail plane. The magazine article also has photos of a Jasta 64 Pfalz DIIIa that was captured intact on March 27, 1918; this Pfalz looks very much like the photo of a model posted above by Oldguy59. Red and black tail stripes seem a reasonably accurate guess.

Similar Missions

1. WGFM: Jasta Colors: Volume 1
    By malachi in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-08-2021, 17:07
  2. WGF Starting a new Jasta Jasta 2 ( Boelcke)
    By Boney10 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-09-2012, 19:58
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-19-2012, 13:40
  4. Dr.I decal sheets, Jasta 11 or Jasta Boelcke?
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Polls
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-25-2011, 02:41
  5. What colors?
    By Kahlerclan in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-17-2010, 01:01