Ares Games

Thread: Rotary Cockpit

Users Country Flag

Name
    Howard
    Sorties Flown

Default Rotary Cockpit

Coming late to this game (Christmas 2022) and with a modest set of planes, I'd like to be better organised. I see Aerodrome Accessories (I know it's closed) used to make a Rotary Cockpit made from birch plywood. Does anyone know if anything similar is made elsewhere or if the template was released for making one's own?
    Thanks

Name:  610x_Aerodrome_RotaryCockpi.jpeg
Views: 286
Size:  70.7 KB

As far as I know there is nothing exactly like that available, although several of our members have made their own renditions, which are posted on the Drome.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Any cockpit will do. Even paper one. I don't like the rotary ones, opponents should be able to read the manoeuvres you have played.
    I have designed quite a few paper ones over the years, so if you like them just print them out on a heavy card stock, so you can carry them around the table. I did

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/1...ive-console-ii

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/1...e-console-2015

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/9...native-console

What is quite important in this game, is to offer your opponent clear information on the state of your aircraft.
    For that reason, we place the jammed tokens on the aircraft base, as well as a D6 to mark the climb tokens. All should be nicely visible.
    Just a note ...
    Last edited by Honza; 01-31-2023 at 03:04.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Howard
    Sorties Flown

Thank you both for the constructive advice, much appreciated. I’m trying to resist the temptation to accessorise before gaining experience. It’s difficult :-) I’ll look into the BGG links.
    Thanks also to Craig for the rep.

We sourced, well a potential source, at York that makes wooden cockpits. Once we get a look see I'll post findings.
    See you on the Dark Side......

That is good to know Neil.
    Thanks for the Heads up.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Home builts look great but the problem with cockpits like the op in this thread is that the cards become completely visible to other players as they move around the table to make their moves. The gameplay does not stay on one side of the playing mat or other, it swirls and unfolds around the complete battle ground. Therefore players will move about to follow their planes also. That is why we prefer the original Wings of War type cockpits. We have our cards face down and we can easily pick the cockpit up if we want to move to another location unlike the newer Wings of Glory ones that have recesses for cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Home builts look great but the problem with cockpits like the op in this thread is that the cards become completely visible to other players
    Well, you can place the cards face towards the wood, right?

Quote Originally Posted by hokusai View Post
    Well, you can place the cards face towards the wood, right?
    Yes of course you can so long as the wood is high enough to conceal your cards.

I like the idea of using a small stand to keep maneuver cards in order. If the stand were slotted for easy assembly and disassembly, that would be good. Of course, the laser engraving on the back is very cool. Alas, I have no access to a laser device. Otherwise, placing chits and a D6 on bases works well.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Howard
    Sorties Flown

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful and practical comments.

Howard,
    I am remiss in not welcoming you to the Forum, on behalf of the other Canadian pilots here. Just looked at where Smithers, BC is on the map, and we won't likely be passing through each other's town by accident. However, there are a few conventions in Vancouver where we might cross paths in the future.

Let me know if you are heading to the lower mainland. We might be able to get a game in.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 02-11-2023 at 17:47.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Users Country Flag

Name
    Howard
    Sorties Flown

Thank you Mike, everyone has been very welcoming. I just returned from a week in Victoria, so trips down south are not unknown, even if not common.
    Just dipping my toes in Wings of Glory when my Napoleonic era fleet is laid up in ordinary.

Similar Missions

1. Radial vs. Rotary
    By bmwrider in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 11-04-2014, 16:53
  2. Rotary Cockpits with your User Name on them.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 09-03-2012, 01:22
  3. Why no rotary right turns for the Nieuports
    By Oberst Hajj in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-08-2012, 05:01
  4. Rotary Cockpits!
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-19-2011, 16:05
  5. Animated Gnome Rotary Engine!