Ares Games

Thread: OTT-EYM Mission 2 - Hunting and Hunted in the Clouds - Week 2 Jan 12th - teaticket

Default OTT-EYM Mission 2 - Hunting and Hunted in the Clouds - Week 2 Jan 12th - teaticket

Oncle turned away from Remy and walked back into his office, quietly closing the door behind him.

Flight Leader Remy St. Martin turned and looked out over the pilots in the briefing room, hoping to catch someone’s eye. They know whenever when Oncle speaks quietly with Remy that there was a dangerous mission looking for a volunteer. All eyes were looking down or out the window, except for Henri Guerin.

“Henri”, was all Remy had to say.

Henri stepped forward and walked slowly with Remy to the hangar as Remy explained.
    “It’s not as bad as you think”, Remy let out with a smirk. “I know what everyone thinks about my quiet talks with Oncle. Yes, they all mean someone has to go up but they are not all as bad as you think”.

Henri wasn’t sure if he should feel relieved or more nervous.

Remy finally calmed him, a little. “For you I have good news and bad news. Which would you like first”?

Henri thought for a second, “Bad.”

Remy took a breath, “The bad. Our peaceful little sector won’t be quite for long. HQ has info that there are three new German Jastas setting up just over the lines. They want us, meaning you, to go and confirm the locations.”

“The good. These locations are not supposed to be operational yet so there will not be three Jastas for you to fight. Also, we just got in one of the newest aircraft reaching the front. The new Nieuport 24 that is now replacing our old 17s is highly touted by the Nieuport representative. It has a much stronger engine and much better maneuverability, so reported. It also has something I’m sure all of our pilots will enjoy, two machine guns. We’ll now finally get to meet our Eagle foes on equal terms. You, while out confirming the locations of the new enemy airfield sites, will get to evaluate our new prize.”

“Please try to avoid any combat engagements as we’re not sure when we will receive more of these 24s for some time.”

“The weather is forecast to be cloudy so be on your guard. Besides searching the ground you’ll have to keep an eye out for any pesky Hun aircraft that want to keep prying eyes away from their new facilities”.

“You are to leave immediately. Bon chance”.

Henri saluted. Remy patted his shoulder and went back to Oncle’s office.

Henri quickly collected his flying kit and was promptly informed by the ground crew what they knew about the N24 before he lifted off. They were quite excited about it but to Henri it didn’t look much different than the N17.

Once his wheels were off the ground though, Henri realized this plane was different. Very responsive! A light touch on the stick and hold on! Henri instant thought was that he liked this plane very much.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	322757

Henri crossed the lines without incident and noted the cloud cover ahead. Off in the distance Henri spotted a plane skirting a cloud. Taking Remy’s advice to heart he turned to hide behind a cloud and try to avoid any contact.

Name:	2.jpg 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	322758

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	322759

Name:	6.jpg 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	322760

Henri easily gets out of sight from the plane he saw. (Paul Wolff) What Henri didn’t know was another Hun had spotted him. Werner Hengst, in a light green Albatros D.I, saw Henri turn and disappear behind a cloud.

Name:	7.jpg 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	322761

Behinds the clouds ahead Paul Wolff sees one of his comrades, Hans Pfeiffer, on patrol. He flies close by, signalling that there is an enemy plane heading their way.

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	322762

Name:	9.jpg 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	322763

The green Albatros begins to stalk Henri without his knowing.

Name:	10.jpg 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	322764

Name:	12.jpg 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	322765

As Henri breaks between two clouds he spies Wolff heading the opposite direction.
    (Wolff thought he was heading right to the Frenchman but ended up off target getting disoriented in the cloud)

Name:	13.jpg 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	322766

Name:	15.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	322767

Hans Pfeiffer also had some trouble in the cloud. His goggles were covered in water droplets and he could not read his compass. When he exits a cloud he finds he is heading east instead of west! He turns right to correct his heading.

Name:	16.jpg 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	322768

Name:	17.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	124.8 KB 
ID:	322769

Name:	19.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	322770

Wolf miscalculates his position in the clouds. He expects to emerge behind his French foe but somehow clears the cloud on the opposite side where he expected.

Henri passes a gap in the clouds nearing one of the locations he is to observe.

Name:	20.jpg 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	322771

Name:	21.jpg 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	322772

As the clouds drift on Henri sees activity on the ground ahead…

Name:	22.jpg 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	322773

But he doesn’t see the Hun behind the cloud!

Name:	23.jpg 
Size:	129.1 KB 
ID:	322774

Henri is a little upset when he sees a German aircraft emerge from behind the cloud before him.
    He notes the location confirming the construction of hangars and clearing of a field. He then makes straight for the Hun hoping he himself hasn’t been seen.

Name:	26.jpg 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	322775

Name:	29.jpg 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	322776

Name:	30.jpg 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	322777

After reorienting themselves, Wolff and Hengst get back on course to find the French aircraft.

Name:	24.jpg 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	322778

Name:	25.jpg 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	322779

Name:	27.jpg 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	322780

Wolff spots the Frenchman but is too late to interfere with his closing in on Pfeiffer.

Name:	31.jpg 
Size:	131.5 KB 
ID:	322781

Name:	33.jpg 
Size:	142.6 KB 
ID:	322782

To Henri’s dismay Pfeiffer had seen him and Immelmanns before Henri can shoot at his tail. The exchange of shots does little but the fight Henri wished to avoid was on.

Name:	34.jpg 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	322783

Name:	35.jpg 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	322784

Henri and Pfeiffer pass too close by after Pfeiffer’s Immelmann to get in a second shot.

Name:	37.jpg 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	322785

Here is where Henri really appreciated the new N24’s maneuverability. He turns hard right and is able to put in a good burst into Pfeiffer before he can do anything about it.

Name:	39.jpg 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	322786

Name:	40.jpg 
Size:	135.2 KB 
ID:	322787

Wolff had turned to help Pfeiffer but overshoots and also catches some of Henri’s bullets.

Name:	41.jpg 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	322788

Henri turned off after Pfeiffer only to see him disappear into a cloud. This target fixation almost cost Henri but the four leaf clover in his breast pocket worked it’s charm.

Name:	42.jpg 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	322789

Wolff, with jammed guns, and Pfeiffer get behind Henri. His spotting of a second airfield under construction drew him away from the Hun pair.

Name:	45.jpg 
Size:	132.7 KB 
ID:	322790

Henri uses his N24’s turning ability to avoid Wolff’s guns and then luckily get past the pair of Germans. For some unknown reason they expected Henri to fly to the left. Just as they has committed to their left turn Henri turned to the right.

Name:	49.jpg 
Size:	142.5 KB 
ID:	322791

Name:	50.jpg 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	322792

Name:	52.jpg 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	322793

Hengst has more trouble keeping on course through the cloud than he expected. Once again, coming out on the opposite end of the cloud from where he expected.

Name:	56.jpg 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	322794

Name:	58.jpg 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	322795

Henri now thinks he has the jump on the Germans. One more aerodrome location to check out and it is between him and home, with the Germans behind him.

Name:	55.jpg 
Size:	137.6 KB 
ID:	322796

Name:	57.jpg 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	322797

Name:	58.jpg 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	322795

With the two Hun on his tail Henri’s heart skips a beat as he rounds a cloud and spots a third German!

Name:	60.jpg 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	322798

Name:	63.jpg 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	322799

Dutifully following his orders, Henri flies over the assigned location. As he is taking note of what’s going on down below his Nieuport’s engine complains about the German bullets slamming into it by violently vibrating. Henri’s responding shot goes wide.
    Hengst may have become lost in the cloud but came out in a great ambush position.

Name:	65.jpg 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	322800

Henri turns for home but worries as his speed has dangerously dropped off.

Wolff and Pfeiffer make a bee line after the Frenchman.

Name:	66.jpg 
Size:	119.3 KB 
ID:	322801

Name:	67.jpg 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	322802

Henri’s engine calms down a little but spits out an oil-stained smoke while slowing down.

Name:	68.jpg 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	322803

In their desperation to catch the enemy the three Germans take the shortest line to him, all three pass through a cloud!

Name:	71.jpg 
Size:	125.0 KB 
ID:	322804

Pfeiffer exits the mist exactly where he wants to be.
    Wolff isn’t far behind but Hengst loses his way.

Name:	73.jpg 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	322805

Name:	76.jpg 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	322806

Wolff is just a bit too far away but Pfeiffer has a chance to get the fleeing Frenchman.
    A long range shot finds it’s mark but is too little too late.

Name:	77.jpg 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	322807

Henri finds a cloud to hid into and loses his hunters for good as he makes his way home.

The Germans give up the chase not wanting to risk entering any more clouds with all three of them in close proximity.

Butcher’s Bill

Kaiser’s Eagles

Name:	80.jpg 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	322808
    Ltn. Paul Wolff: RTB 0 Kills

Name:	81.jpg 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	322809
    Ltn. Werner Hengst: RTB 0 Kills, 1 probable (Guerin FRTB-E)

Name:	79.jpg 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	322810
    Ltn. Hans Pfeiffer: RTB 0 Kills

Bouledogues de la Republique

Name:	78.jpg 
Size:	138.2 KB 
ID:	322811
    Sgt Henri Guerin: FRTB-E 0 Kills
    FRTB 5 & 6 lands ok.

Guerin spotted and confirmed all the of the three suspected enemy airfields. The intelligence gathered was extremely important for immediate tactical and strategic decisions in the sector. Oncle is very impressed with Henri’s success and the accolades he brought to the unit.
    Last edited by flash; 01-31-2023 at 02:32. Reason: Tally tidy

Thanks for this one John. Quite an exercise in flying against the machine and clouds! A lot of flying for not that many shots taken. Very interesting trying to get out alive.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 01-30-2023 at 18:48.

Well played, Peter.

Love your take on the clouds and that pale green D.I looks great.

They must have been French clouds as they were really working against the Germans at times !
    Great game of hide and seek with an exciting exit, well played, Peter

Oncle says:

Name:	Uncle - Oncle 5.jpg 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	322816
    Well done mon brave, a total success, HQ will be very pleased with your work today !

Added the probable for Hengst..
    Last edited by flash; 01-31-2023 at 02:33.

"He is wise who watches"

Nice little action Peter, seemed to go to plan for Henri (apart from the engine teething troubles with the new 24.)

Well done, Peter. Much better outcome than mine!

Looking forward to how those N24 stack up against the Huns in future scenarios.

Thanks Gents.

The Unofficial Stats have the N24 fly with the F deck. I think that is too fast as I find it being pretty much the same speed as the Alb DII. To slow it from the F deck I made a modified I deck to mimic the F deck.

Ah yes, forgot to give Hengst the probable credit. Cheers Oncle.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 07-15-2023 at 17:37.

That surprises me, the N.28 which is very rapid, has the F deck. The N.24 is in the speed bracket down from that, same as the N.17 (which is only a few kph slower it seems). Maybe it was done to get the sharp turns ?
    A little adjustment to the I deck by the addition of sharp turns either way makes it the same as the D* deck that we use with the Sopwith Pup. The same would apply to the N.27 too, which is nice !

Pilot of Escadrille N 87 Nieuport 27 preparing to depart, with a Nieuport 24bis in the background
    Last edited by flash; 02-01-2023 at 07:13. Reason: Correction

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Thanks for this one John. Quite an exercise in flying against the machine and clouds! A lot of flying for not that many shots taken. Very interesting trying to get out alive.
    Don't you worry you'll get your fair share of bullets when you chance your arm at Stumpy's mission.

I wonder if I can have a few N24's for C Flight. As always it's nice to see the planes you've been painting.
    Cheers

Loved the AAR. The clouds looked fantastic and worked really well.

Excellent Colonel Teaticket - what a show you put on for us. I think you got the mix of cloud cover off to a T and using the N24 was great. Lovely AAR, really enjoyed it and well done for completing the mission successfully. Vive La France

A very enjoyable scenario as usual Peter. Also great to see that N24 in action, and your comments on its performance.

Rob.
    Last edited by flash; 02-01-2023 at 07:21. Reason: name change
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I really enjoyed your AAR. Great photos and narration. Who needs movies when we have this??!!

Nice AAR and a very successful mission. I love the new D.IIs you have painted, they came in very handy for this mission. Sadly rep gun jammed but I'll circle back round later.

Very nicely done love the pictures.

Methinks I spy the Badfinger cloud
    Great flying and beautiful planes, Peter

Thanks guys. Chris, that cloud is innocent. Whats in your head is where the bad is.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Thanks guys. Chris, that cloud is innocent. Whats in your head is where the bad is.
    You're not wrong.

I like the idea of different deck for the N24/27, probably the D*. I'm blaming you and Dave for my next shapeways order...

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-25-2023, 09:33
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-24-2023, 18:09
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-23-2022, 07:21
  4. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-07-2022, 02:05
  5. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-06-2022, 11:12