Ares Games

Thread: Dishes for the Officers Mess

Default Dishes for the Officers Mess

Years ago, my wife and I, feeling adventurous, made a soda cracker pie (sometimes referred to as mock apple pie). It was not terrible, but does one really want to eat that much soda cracker? But if apples are hard to come by, such as might be the case during war, a soda cracker pie might be welcomed, especially if the mess cook let the diners think it was apple pie.

This morning my wife joked about oatmeal pie. Laughing, I made a quick online search. YES, there are a number recipes for oatmeal pie! Think of this as mock pecan pie. Sounds awful, or at least unlikely (and yet, there it is).

Perhaps there are other recipes one may suggest for the Officers Mess?

Actually, I've made oatmeal pie, and at least that recipe was pretty good.
    Mock apple pie, not so much

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quinoa taco 'meat'? For people who are looking for a vegan, or meat reduced option?

It sounded crazy to me, but I'm getting older and my stomache isn't 'cast iron' resiliant any more.

We occasionally have friends that visit who are vegan, or want a lighter meal, and put the quinoa taco mix over a salad, or on pizza (instead of taco beef) to emulate a Mexican pizza.

Recipe here, if interested: MinimalistBaker.com - Quinoa Taco Meat/
    Note: we use mushroom stock rather than vegetable stock for a slightly richer flavour, and we don't actually follow the step to over roast the mix. We mix the ingredients in the pan we cook the quinoa, then directly onto the salad, or package up the left-overs for future meals.

Mexican Pizza:
    1. pizza dough as normal, or we use Naan rounds (8" ),
    2. use half & half pizza sauce and salsa (mild, medium, or hot, as you like) for the sauce,
    3. sprinkle on taco meat (or quinoa mix), and diced halapeno peppers to taste (or desired heat),
    4. layer on favourite cheese (Monteray Jack, old Cheddar, TexMex cheese blend, or whatever),
    5. bake in the oven, on the BBQ, or in a toaster oven, as desired. Depending on the instrument, use pizza stones to evenly distribute heat, and any where from 5-8 minutes.

Slice, eat and enjoy.

PS: a handful of frozen corn nibblets can be added into the quinoa at the end to add extra Mexican flavour, or, you can brown/blacken the nibblets in a pan separately.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 01-19-2023 at 18:39.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I grew up with my mother making Fudge that was mostly made of soft cheese like a Velveeta cheese. It was delicious, and you could not tell the difference from other types of Fudge!!! God how I miss that!!!

Well, if you wanted to experiment, try some UK Wartime dishes:
    https://the1940sexperiment.com/100-wartime-recipes/

I'm paraphrasing a comment that made me smile: ‘Potato Peel Pie’, a insipid looking creation facilitating the gag reflex of all uninitiated humans who tasted it.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post

I'm paraphrasing a comment that made me smile: ‘Potato Peel Pie’, a insipid looking creation facilitating the gag reflex of all uninitiated humans who tasted it.
    Being adventurous, I took a look at the instructions on the link for Potato Peel Pie. Well, then, it was something to fill one's stomach when there was nothing better, I suppose. Having said that, fried potato skins topped with cheddar cheese is a popular appetizer in some southern U.S.eating establishments....yum!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post

Actually, looking at it, while I can see that the base recipe would be very bland, it doesn't look too bad.
    I have no idea what beetroot tastes like; I'm very unfond of beets, but love beetgreens, so maybe???
    Onions and/or leeks wouldn't be too hard to grow in small yard gardens (I have stories of what my Grandparents did during the war
    in the much better off USA).
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Actually, looking at it, while I can see that the base recipe would be very bland, it doesn't look too bad.
    I have no idea what beetroot tastes like; I'm very unfond of beets, but love beetgreens, so maybe???
    Onions and/or leeks wouldn't be too hard to grow in small yard gardens (I have stories of what my Grandparents did during the war
    Karl
    Leave out the beets, put in some bacon, sprinkle cheddar cheese on top.....then you might have some something.

Karl
    OK, being stupid from work; yes beetroots in the UK is what we call beets in the USA
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Larry R. View Post
    Leave out the beets, put in some bacon, sprinkle cheddar cheese on top.....then you might have some something.
    I would heartily agree with you on this. Of course, bacon and cheddar cheese under German occupation would be very hard to get
    Karl

OK, being stupid from work; yes beetroots in the UK is what we call beets in the USA
    Karl
    Right Karl.
    If you had just said beets to me I would have thought you meant sugarbeet.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Right Karl.
    If you had just said beets to me I would have thought you meant sugarbeet.

Rob.
    Well, the recipe isn't specific regarding the type of beet. I assumed it would be the red beets we grew in vegetable gardens. But why not sugarbeets?

I'm not much fond of beets other than the occasional pickled beet. There is a hot dish that consists of diced beets and cloves.....possibly Harvard beets?

Similar Missions

1. Fire in the Skies 2020: Battle of Britain Campaign Officers Mess
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 187
    Last Post: 08-15-2021, 07:22
  2. Fire in the Skies: Officers Mess
    By flash in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 631
    Last Post: 02-12-2020, 02:15
  3. What goes on in the mess, stays in the mess.......
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-23-2013, 02:34
  4. Source of supplies for the Officers Club Mess!
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-27-2012, 15:30
  5. Last night at the Officers Club
    By crashx in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-02-2012, 12:31