Ares Games

Thread: Double seaters versus single seaters endurance

Default Double seaters versus single seaters endurance

Did double-seaters really withstand more beating than single-seaters?
    And why do you think so?

Quote Originally Posted by Honza View Post
    Did double-seaters really withstand more beating than single-seaters?
    And why do you think so?
    While there was a great variety in structural strength, in general, 2 seaters had more structure to put holes into.
    That said, the critical hits (or golden BB) would still take it down. Pilot, fuel tank or fuel lines, engine etc.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I always wondered how they determined the hit points for each aircraft. No one has the data to say, for example, on average how many bullet hits a Sopwith Camel took before getting shot down, compared to a Fokker Dr.I. So it must be a bit subjective.

The point Carl made about the "lucky shot" is quite well represented in the game. A Fokker Eindecker is as likely to draw the boom card or engine damage as a Breguet XIV. The giants are less vulnerable to engine damage because of the token system, although in reality any given bullet fitted at a multi engined aircraft should be more likely to hit an engine than a bullet fired at a single engined aircraft, since there are more engines to hit...?

External bracing plays a role in vulnerability. The more that you have, the more likely that one will snap and the airplane will fly into pieces.

Another consideration is that a wood-framed, fabric-covered plane could be shot full of holes, and not loose performance, nor structural integrity. It might look like a colander on landing, but replace the fabric and it would be ready to fly again.

It is one of the reasons I suspect there are so many "0" damage cards.

Two-seater planes are realy not all that much more resistant to damage, maybe having a few extra resistance points than single seaters, if you look at individual planes (giants are a bit more robust).
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I don't think there is any hard and fast generalised rule for two-seaters having more damage points than scouts.

The toughness of a given plane was down to the structural strength of each individual design and the aircraft's construction quality.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Another consideration is that a wood-framed, fabric-covered plane could be shot full of holes, and not loose performance, nor structural integrity. It might look like a colander on landing...
    Mike - sounds like a good name for a WW1 airplane "the Flying Colander"

Similar Missions

1. How often do you fly 2 seaters ?
    By Willi Von Klugermann in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 08-18-2016, 12:10
  2. WGF Some Hun 2 seaters
    By johnbiggles in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-28-2014, 13:37
  3. WGF WTB. Two seaters for WW1 wow
    By Combat wombat in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds