Ares Games

Thread: WW2 in a WW1 game

Default WW2 in a WW1 game

How incompatible are the WW2 planes with the WWI rules? I picked up some Gloster Gladiators without realizing they were WW2 planes.

Thanks

Hey, if you're having fun, you can use the Gladiators with the WW1 rules.

Not sure about using them. You would have to pretend they were a particular WWI plane to know the movement deck, damage deck and hit points. Maybe you could score some CR42's and a WW2 box set and some well matched WW2 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Elflord View Post
    How incompatible are the WW2 planes with the WWI rules? I picked up some Gloster Gladiators without realizing they were WW2 planes. Thanks
    They're not, John, the planes are a different scale (1/200 v 1/144) so you couldn't mix them - in reality the Gladiator would be twice as fast as the fastest WW1 model - the rule mechanics are quite different too. Nothing, however, stops you doing from
    your own thing with them but as Gary suggested score some Fiat's and have at it over the Med; the WW2 rules are available as downloads from Ares Games. https://www.aresgames.eu/downloads
    Welcome to the 'drome by the way.

"He is wise who watches"

The scale is different (1/144 WWI to 1/200 for WWII) so the model size is a bit off, but technically you could use them; the manoeuvre cards are the same size.

The only major difference is the two-speed arrow system on the Gladiator cards - otherwise, just pretend the Glads are some fictional type, with the cards and stats provided, and get stuck in!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Interestingly, the 1/200 Gloster Gladiator is very close in wingspan as the 1/144 Fokker Dr.1. No, the Gladiator is not from the WW1 era but still could be used if that is what one has, alaThe Final Countdown.

Master 11 in a WW1 The Red Baron challenged my WW2 Spitfire to a duel - TRB taking WW1 damage cards while my sleek Spitfire drew WW2 damage chits. No jams, no mercy, but a whole lot of fun!
    The Red Baron could do a tight turn and get inside my faster plane, giving the Spitfire the bash; but we both fell out of the sky together.
    We then swapped decks, TRB flying on an A deck, the Spitfire on a D deck. I ended up …. ‘toast’!
    Wished I had taken a few snaps but the action and draws were really intense, plus it was a fun maths exercise:-)

Terry

Sounds like a good time Terry

Quote Originally Posted by CaptMoonbeam View Post
    Master 11 in a WW1 The Red Baron challenged my WW2 Spitfire to a duel - TRB taking WW1 damage cards while my sleek Spitfire drew WW2 damage chits. No jams, no mercy, but a whole lot of fun!
    The Red Baron could do a tight turn and get inside my faster plane, giving the Spitfire the bash; but we both fell out of the sky together.
    We then swapped decks, TRB flying on an A deck, the Spitfire on a D deck. I ended up …. ‘toast’!
    Wished I had taken a few snaps but the action and draws were really intense, plus it was a fun maths exercise:-)

Terry
    Sounds like a fun experiment. I've thought about trying this but never got to it. Nice to see you did!

the biggest sticking point would be the gladiators maneuver deck. its designed for plotting after each movement unlike ww1s 3 card plot. there arent enough of each maneuver card to plot 3.

Similar Missions

1. Pick-up BSG Game: Follow-up 'Shot Taken' Marker Game
    By OldGuy59 in forum After Action Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-11-2022, 13:58
  2. Wings of war board game computer game?
    By =Binks= in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-03-2019, 15:00
  3. eBay Wings of Glory Game Mat Coast Board Game, last one.
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-10-2014, 11:22
  4. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-20-2014, 08:49
  5. Amazing 'In-Game' images from a Computer Flight Sim Game
    By usmc1855 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-10-2011, 08:39