Ares Games

Thread: WW2 rules drought.

Default WW2 rules drought.

Apparently there are no more BoB rules sets available, nor rules sets, nor plans for producing them. Not in shops anywhere in the world.

There are still some WW1 rules sets available in stores, but again, no plans for producing more, and orders are not being filled.

This has had a drastic effect on sales of the models.

I'm not sure Ares realises the effect of not having rules, templates, damage card/chits available is. We can just hope that they restart some time in coming years.

Couldn’t agree more Zoe

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

There are a few left in the UK

And I have several!

But I know what you mean....

With the SM.79 and the Blenheim coming out soon, it'll be impossible for new players to use them in a game.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Well people have been screaming enough about this over the years, and I can see from the way new members on this and the Sails site are now few and far between that if Ares don't do something pdq we will become like the Dodo.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I have one spare set of the WW2 blue box rules. Haven't seen them or the BoB starter set anywhere here in the US in some time. Sad that ARES doesn't keep the rules always available.

Many companies simply publish their rules set as a PDF on their website, free to download and print. Not only does it make the game more accessible, it give a place to fetch the latest, definitive copy of the rules at any time.

Should we beg Ares to do the same?

I have contacted Roberto direct about this very point. Let’s see what he says....

Thanks Chris.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    Many companies simply publish their rules set as a PDF on their website, free to download and print. Not only does it make the game more accessible, it give a place to fetch the latest, definitive copy of the rules at any time.

Should we beg Ares to do the same?
    That doesn't help with the lack of cards, chits etc.
    While PDF rules sets are fine for the RPG crowd, and for some miniature games, for ours, it's still only half the game.
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    That doesn't help with the lack of cards, chits etc.
    While PDF rules sets are fine for the RPG crowd, and for some miniature games, for ours, it's still only half the game.
    Yeah. What he said. ^^^^
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

This paints a bleak outlook for our game support!!!

Agree with previous few comments, but it would be a start.
    Could pdf counters etc which could be printed/cut out etc. Not perfect but better than nothing.
    Decks are another matter as producing them could/would have a serious impact on miniature sales, which obviously doesn’t make business sense. I guess ARES didn’t factor in a community like ours when they released the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    ..Decks are another matter as producing them could/would have a serious impact on miniature sales, which obviously doesn’t make business sense...
    Don't they have to be producing & selling miniatures for there to be any impact..
    I know Entoyment (in the UK), who had a reasonable amount on the shelf, are, again, no longer able to get any Wings/Sails products from their distributors as they are unable to get any from Ares, apparently.
    Sad state of affairs.

"He is wise who watches"

Roberto has pointed out that the rules are available to download in pdf format.
    However, counters, decks etc are another thing. The dual packs were a great idea alas stock of them is pretty non existent at the moment. Apparently production and shipping etc from China should ramp up once the Chinese New Year festival is over.
    Let’s hope this is the case.

i simply do not understand ares treating wog like a redheaded step child. the game is always popular at orgins year after year.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    Apparently there are no more BoB rules sets available, nor rules sets, nor plans for producing them. Not in shops anywhere in the world.

There are still some WW1 rules sets available in stores, but again, no plans for producing more, and orders are not being filled.

This has had a drastic effect on sales of the models.

I'm not sure Ares realises the effect of not having rules, templates, damage card/chits available is. We can just hope that they restart some time in coming years.
    Are they letting the game die? Genuine question here.

They tried re-invigorating it with tripods, but they don't seem to have really pushed that much.

Will they reboot these games now that we're post-covid? Though we have some economic issues these days that'll hurt sales, too.

They announced some new starter set and series for Sails of Glory in the pirate age - but since the one announcement, there has been no news.

Blood Red Skies seems to be picking up interest. And for Sails of Glory there's Oak & Iron, and Black Seas. If they don't do something soon these newer games will just completely dominate if they aren't already.

Similar Missions

1. Card rules vs mini rules
    By petitbilbo in forum Polls
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-06-2014, 03:52
  2. The Drought is Finally Over.
    By Willi Von Klugermann in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-08-2013, 17:25
  3. new altitude rules in Rules and Accessories Pack?
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-09-2012, 15:12
  4. Rain of Destruction or Drought of Bombers?
    By Blackronin in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-02-2011, 03:21
  5. Deluxe rules vs fire in the sky rules.
    By Racker in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-17-2010, 08:19