Ares Games

Thread: Technology Lament

Default Technology Lament

With one foot in the ageing door I now must whinge about the need for passwords for everything. When I stagger out of bed and log onto my machine to check anything I am nearly always asked for a password. Seeing as I have about 70 of those for different web sites it gets a bit hard to find the relevant one. I reckon every computer sold should come with a pimply faced 17 year old called Darren who will fire it up and do all your checks for you in the morning. I have a new machine on its way to me and the thought of setting it up ......

If I wanted to do a world domination bid I would certainly pick 0630 as the time to do it. Humans are at their dumbest, sleepiest, and slowest. Anyway, I finally remembered the password for this forum so all is well.

Very glad to see you back online Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    …Anyway, I finally remembered the password for this forum so all is well.
    Well, that’s the most important one any way!

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    ... Anyway, I finally remembered the password for this forum so all is well.
    You need that tattooed om your arm or something, Gary !

"He is wise who watches"

Hi! There are quite a lot of solutions for the "passwords" problem. The easiest way is to allow the web browser to save passwords. If you have a Google account and Google Chrome, you even can save the passwords and bookmarks to the cloud to sync them automatically to the new PC. Microsoft account and Edge work in the same way (as well as Apple account & Safari).
    Another solution is to use password managers like 1Password and LastPass.

If any of you forget your password just pop me a PM. I will then set up a temp password for you to get in whilst you reset it to a private one of your own, so that even I do not know it.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Of course, one can write down passwords in a notebook (my method).....

Quote Originally Posted by Larry R. View Post
    Of course, one can write down passwords in a notebook (my method).....
    Or on a pile of note papers next to the monitor, like me.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Technology Lament part two ...... I used to keep passwords in a spreadsheet on the computer until informed by the experts that it was unsafe to do so. Then Google told me that the "ideal" password should consist of upper- and lower-case letters with symbols and numbers thrown in and should preferably be created with a random password generator and changed regularly. I bought a new computer recently and was informed by McAfee that my details have been released on the dark web (whatever that is). I then realised that I do not subscribe to McAfee so figured that their offer of fixing this for $49.95 might be a scare tactic and scam so I deleted all traces of their software and their email and will stick with Windows Security. That tells me that all is well.

On the plus side. The new PC is far better than the old one and I am pleased with my purchase.

I've read or heard that Google and Microsoft want to do away with passwords altogether. Instead, the say, we all should change to "passkeys" which (they say) will be much more secure and easier for us because the computers and smart phones, etc., will create the passkeys for us and synchronize automatically...or something like that. Bottom line: no passwords to remember. But, of course, we lose control of our security.

Agreed. Huge pain. Thankfully, I can unlock most of my accounts with my finger/thumb print.

The problem with writing down or having your browser store you passwords is two fold. First, it is very unsecure (I've worked in and around the IT field for 30 years) and secondly it does you no good if you are in a different location and can not access them. The method that I have been using for decades is a simple phrased based password that is basically impossible to forget.

The first thing you need to do is come up with a simple phrase. Something like "I Love Dogs". You will use that phrase as the leading part of every password you create. Next, take something from the name of the site you are creating a password for. If we use this site as the example, you could use "Wings" or "WoW". The key here is to always use the same thing, so if you pick the first word in the site's name, always use a site's first word of the name going forward. Finally, end your password with a a random two digit number and a special character. Something like "23$". This last bit is to meet most of the password requirements out there to have numbers and special characters in your passwords.

From the example I've been using you'd end up with this password: ILoveDogsWings23$
    If you created an account on our Sails site you would use : ILoveDogsSails23$

As you can see each password is unique and the system as a hole is easy to remember since only one section of it changes. And if you do go to a site and can't remember what you used for the site specific part, simply look at what site you are on.

Nice one Keith.

Rob.

Nice one, Boss, but most would say 23 bucks for dog wings seems a bit expensive...
    I'll get m'coat...

"He is wise who watches"

But oh so delicious with BBQ sauce.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    But oh so delicious with BBQ sauce.
    Better with horseradish sauce, though

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Better with horseradish sauce, though

Karl
    horseradish....mmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Nice one, Boss, but most would say 23 bucks for dog wings seems a bit expensive...
    I'll get m'coat...
    Don't bother Squadron Leader, I'll get it for you.

Kyte.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    The problem with writing down or having your browser store you passwords is two fold. First, it is very unsecure (I've worked in and around the IT field for 30 years) and secondly it does you no good if you are in a different location and can not access them. The method that I have been using for decades is a simple phrased based password that is basically impossible to forget.

The first thing you need to do is come up with a simple phrase. Something like "I Love Dogs". You will use that phrase as the leading part of every password you create. Next, take something from the name of the site you are creating a password for. If we use this site as the example, you could use "Wings" or "WoW". The key here is to always use the same thing, so if you pick the first word in the site's name, always use a site's first word of the name going forward. Finally, end your password with a a random two digit number and a special character. Something like "23$". This last bit is to meet most of the password requirements out there to have numbers and special characters in your passwords.

From the example I've been using you'd end up with this password: ILoveDogsWings23$
    If you created an account on our Sails site you would use : ILoveDogsSails23$

As you can see each password is unique and the system as a hole is easy to remember since only one section of it changes. And if you do go to a site and can't remember what you used for the site specific part, simply look at what site you are on.
    Nice idea, but it doesn't work for me.
    Of the 50 or so passwords I need to remember, there are at least a dozen different criteria laid out in the password requirements which just don't match.

For instance:
    8 - 12 characters, no specials.
    15 or more, must include lower case, uppercase, numeral and special.
    door codes, which are 5 digits only, no repeats
    up to six characters only, no numerals

the list goes on and on
    I just can't use a Core password and adjust it.

Technology's a git.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Or on a pile of note papers next to the monitor, like me.

Karl

paper your desk with post it notes?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry R. View Post
    I've read or heard that Google and Microsoft want to do away with passwords altogether. Instead, the say, we all should change to "passkeys" which (they say) will be much more secure and easier for us because the computers and smart phones, etc., will create the passkeys for us and synchronize automatically...or something like that. Bottom line: no passwords to remember. But, of course, we lose control of our security.

sounds about right with their penchant for centralized control, "for our own good" of course.

"that is basically impossible to forget."

never underestimate my ability to forget.......

Similar Missions

1. WWII Technology to Conceal Aircraft from Radar
    By NewFlyBoy in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-04-2020, 07:59
  2. General Printing Technology
    By Mike W in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-13-2012, 22:53