Ares Games

Thread: Configurable position

Default Configurable position

Hi there,
    I am trying to create a support that allow to change the angle of the model during the game to simulate the effect position in the maneuvre.
    I tried with some lego components, and than with a 3D printable model of a joint ball connection.
    At the end I have found these pearls (to make necklace) that fit perfectly on the plane pin.
    Now I'll print some sockets fixable on the support and I hope to came back with an appreciable result sooner as possible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7940.jpg   IMG_7939.jpg   IMG_7941.jpg   IMG_7945.jpg   IMG_7947.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by CrashCraig View Post
    Very creative Andrea
    ^^^^^
    What he said.

Nice idea with Lego part. Here is something for inspiration:

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ghlight=gimbal

A first experimentClick image for larger version. 

Name:	3D6E3B6E-97C1-4396-A497-4066C34DAE5A.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	321961
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8F730F73-CB60-4C38-AB3C-07006D647217.jpg  

Yes �� I see it. Just try to avoid model modification.
    In effect you can add the neodymium joint just to a section stand.
    Very nice indeed, and elegant.

Yes, that is the way I (and many others) did it. Saw one stand peg in a half and place the magnet and ball there. That way you do not need to modity the plane in any way.

Looks good Andrea!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Lutz
    Sorties Flown

Its a good idea....

but - if critics are allowed - (for me) they are (when turning) not in the middle point of the base anymore. (For me) the radius is too huge around the center.
    But this is only my personal opinion

If you cut one peg in half, and attach the ball to the upper half and the magnet to the lower half, the plane is MUCH nearer to the centre of the base.

Also, heavier planes will not slip over - using an entire peg above the ball, the plane model is so far from the fulcrum point that the magnet sometimes is not strong enough to hold the banking plane in place.

When I first started using gimbal mounts, I cut the peg off the model with a Dremel, then drilled a dent in the plane and glued the ball directly to the aircraft; this kept the plane model directly over the fulcrum.
    It looked great!
    The problem appeared when my collection ballooned in size - I simply couldn't get enough magnet gimbles to provide one ball and one magnet for every single plane.
    Secondly, any plane I sold needed to be accompanied by a manet peg. It just became too expensive (and too much work cutting off all of those pegs).
    Last edited by Flying Helmut; 01-11-2023 at 05:31.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20230110_174027.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	322177

Recently I obtained from Amazon a box of 6mm ring magnets. The center hole is 3mm which is perfect for a .177 caliber BB (steel ball used in small caliber air guns). Works great, but I think the printed ball joint is more elegant.

You are right! ... Your opinion is also my.
    I could connect the plane directly on the ball ... improving the effect reducing the radius, just I would avoid to damage the plane.
    I have bought the magnets also. Just exploring the plastic joint because if I am able to print a transparent I could eliminate the metal joint from the profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry R. View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20230110_174027.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	322177

Recently I obtained from Amazon a box of 6mm ring magnets. The center hole is 3mm which is perfect for a .177 caliber BB (steel ball used in small caliber air guns). Works great, but I think the printed ball joint is more elegant.
    Beautiful!

Similar Missions

1. Position of the sun and its effect on air combat?
    By Savoir Faire in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-23-2015, 12:17
  2. New Position
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-28-2014, 10:32
  3. Troop position photo recon mission AAR
    By STICK in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-23-2011, 12:55
  4. US troops man a searchlight and position it in France during World War I.
    By Attila57 in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-30-2011, 11:58