Ares Games

Thread: How are you guys attaching planes to the stands?

Default How are you guys attaching planes to the stands?

Hey gang,

Question. I have purchased several non-Wings of Glory planes, in a few different small scales. My plan is to use them in Wings of Glory! Most of the ones I’ve purchased are in 1/144 or close to it. But I was wondering HOW exactly you all are attaching your planes to the stands? Could you please share tips and photos with me please?

I was thinking about ordering some stands from here, Armaments in Miniature: https://www.angelfire.com/nj4/armame...oductlines.htm

My plan was to order some of these stands to use in Wings of Glory but, I have no clue how to best attach them to the stands! Help. I would love done advice please.

Thank you all,

~Chuck

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DA499466-1275-4525-A028-6817DEEA0FFA.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	321888
    “Flying is hours and hours of boredom sprinkled with a few seconds of sheer terror!” Gregory “Pappy” Boyington, USMC”

Hello, Chuck.....I'm building some 1/144 Valom plastic models and have started a resizing of a Fiddlers Green paper model. Your question is one I have also been pondering. Three solutions come to mind. 1) Glue the model permanently to the stand; simple, but not my first choice. 2) For the plastic models, I will likely drill a small hole in the fuselage underside and glue in a peg ala the official WoG miniatures. 3) for paper models I glue inside the fuselage a bit of steel wire from a paperclip, or an entire paperclip if there is room, and use a small rare earth magnet attach the model to a heavier wire stand riser....a piece if coat hanger wire is perfect.

A fairly common method here on the Forum is to use a magnetic collar and steel ball. Stick the collar on the stand, drill a hole (or better, use a dremel and small grinding attachment) in the underside of the model, and glue in the steel ball. The ball/collar arrangement allows the plane to be posed in any direction so as to represent climbing, diving, turning, etc.

Aerodrome Accessories used to sell packs of the balls and collars, but these can be easily obtained from Ebay.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, so....

Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Lutz
    Sorties Flown

Do you have the diameter of the magnet and the steel ball?
    Then its easier to find a matching pair :-)

When I was building paper airplanes, I eventually turned to using bamboo skewers and trimming them to fit into pegs. They were next to free, being they came in packs of 20 or 30 for a few bucks.

Name:	4thProjCamel_A20130331_Peg4a_Crop.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	321889

I estimated the size from the side, cut the pointy bit away, and checked the fit. Cut more pointy bit away, if necessary. If you cut too much, you can sand the taper until it is a snug fit.

Name:	IMG_1169.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	321890

I had to measure the the length, based on the depth I wanted the bamboo to reach inside the paper model, which for this plane was to reach the top of the fuselage behind the cockpit.

Name:	4thProjCamel_A20130331_Peg3_Crop.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	321891

Once the length was determined, I cut and glued it into the fuselage, and finish the assembly of the plane. This worked pretty good for the paper planes I made.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrell63 View Post
    Do you have the diameter of the magnet and the steel ball?
    Then its easier to find a matching pair :-)
    5mm ball and 6.5mm collar.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Steve, Lutz, Mike thank you for the advice! All excellent ideas I will try.

Question Steve, where do I buy the 5mm ball and 6.5mm collar in the US? Im not finding them, but perhaps I’m searching poorly!

Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasChuck View Post
    where do I buy the 5mm ball and 6.5mm collar in the US? Im not finding them,
    ebay, if nowhere else

search "ball bearings" and "magnets" - simple as...
    mae sure the magnets are 'recessed' or 'dished'
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Lutz
    Sorties Flown

Aliexpress (when its not soooo urgent, but super cheap)
    Amazon.com (fast but a bit more expensive)

Here in SG
    Lazada or shopee (mixture of speed and price :-) )

I have ordered yesterday...will arrive tmr. My 1st test prints for planes, pegs and bases are also fnished

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    ebay, if nowhere else
    search "ball bearings" and "magnets" - simple as...
    make sure the magnets are 'recessed' or 'dished'
    Green Stuff sell what they call 'rotation magnets' in 4 sizes if anyone is looking for them in the UK; locally Entoyment stock them. I picked up the medium size for my Lohner's that were struggling to stay atop their mounts & it cured the problem. I see they also sell 3mm x 12cm acrylic rods.
    https://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/r...ts-size-s.html

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

This one works the best for me. It stays firm in all angles. Even heavier aircraft like Breguet won't fall over.

Name:	kloub.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	698.6 KB 
ID:	321892

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Green Stuff sell what they call 'rotation magnets' in 4 sizes if anyone is looking for them in the UK; locally Entoyment stock them.
    https://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/r...ts-size-s.html
    I've started using the tiniest ones for my BSG model Colonial Vipers and Cylon Raiders.

I ordered the ball bearings from GREENSTUFF so when they come in I’ll post some photos of my progress!

These are the ones I ordered: https://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/r...ts-size-m.html

Name:	765A6B97-D4A0-48D0-A945-4F5AC85ACB18.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	321908

~Chuck
    Last edited by ArkansasChuck; 12-29-2022 at 13:06. Reason: Added photo
    “Flying is hours and hours of boredom sprinkled with a few seconds of sheer terror!” Gregory “Pappy” Boyington, USMC”

They're quite chunky and should be able to carry most types.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Make sure you take into account how many planes you are likely to acquire.

If you're going to glue a ball to each one, you're going to need to buy a ball for every single plane (and probably a magnet to pair up with every single one).

I used to do that, until my collection spiralled out of control, and I cleared Aerodrome Accessories out of Gimbal sets!

Now, I cut a single peg in half, and glue the ball bearing to the bottom of the upper half, and the ring magnet to the top of the lower half, so I need FAR fewer magnet/ball combinations than the number of planes in the collection.
    It also means that I no longer need to cut the peg off the underside of the mini (risking damage), and when I sell a plane I don't need to include a magnet peg to match up with the ball on the underside of the mini.

Look for this saddle magnet, the rings do not work that well for bigger aircraft.
    This one really sticks.

https://www.neomag.cz/cs/products/008-np-8x6-3x1-2-n35

Similar Missions

1. New Products: Decal sheets, ACE flight stands, and Custom Flight Stands
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-11-2018, 07:51
  2. Attaching a model to a stand without drilling holes
    By Tokhuah in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-03-2016, 01:00
  3. Attaching Shapeway models to pegs. How do you do it?
    By jwclere in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-23-2015, 16:35
  4. Attaching Gimble mounts or yout models?
    By afilter in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-25-2012, 07:33