Ares Games

Thread: Schweinhund....recoloring FG's SE5a

Default Schweinhund....recoloring FG's SE5a

One nice thing Fiddlers Green provides is a b/w version of its models, which makes recoloring a bit easier. I've printed the b/w version of the FG SE5a, intending to recolor it as Capt. Duncan Grinnell-Milne's Schweinhund.

Every model of this plane (that I can find) has a red fuselage. One source says the plane "is known" to have had a red fuselage; one other source says Grinnell-Milne had the fuselage painted red after the end of hostilities. Neither source referenced any documentation to support their statements.

I've found online one photograph of Grinnell-Milne's plane, b/w of course. I have a copy of Grinnell-Milne's wartime memoir. He mentions his plane by name, but does not note anything unusual about it, color or otberwise.

I like the idea of a red fuselage SE5a. It would certainly stand out. But to be historically accurate, I'm inclined to go with the standard khaki color. Unless someone can point me to some reliable source that says "red"?

I believe he had Schweinhund III painted red after he took command of 56 sqn in December 1918, Larry, he mentions flying over the spot he escaped from captivity into Holland "in an SE5 painted bright red, with Schweinhund in large white letters on the nose to annoy the enemy" in his book 'Wind in the Wires'.

I've seen this b/w image of his plane that someone purports to be in the red livery but I would have thought the fuselage would have matched the tone of the red of the cockade at the end of the fin if it was. The fuselage tone also matches that of the wings so it's likely still in the standard PC tone, whichever it was.
    Last edited by flash; 12-25-2022 at 01:19.

"He is wise who watches"

I recall reading that his red SE5a was post Armistice. If there was strong evidence he had red in September or October '18, I'd have a red SE5a in my hangar!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I believe he had Schweinhund III painted red after he took command of 56 sqn in December 1918, Larry, he mentions flying over the spot he escaped from captivity into Holland "in an SE5 painted bright red, with Schweinhund in large white letters on the nose to annoy the enemy" in his book 'Wind in the Wires'.

I've seen this b/w image of his plane that someone purports to be in the red livery but I would have thought the fuselage would have matched the tone of the red of the cockade at the end of the fin if it was. The fuselage tone also matches that of the wings so it's likely still in the standard PC tone, whichever it was.
    Yes, a more careful reading on my part ..... in his book DGM writes "...I roared over the spot in an SE5, its nose painted bright red, with Schweinhund in large white letters to annoy the enemy."

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I recall reading that his red SE5a was post Armistice. If there was strong evidence he had red in September or October '18, I'd have a red SE5a in my hangar!
    Yes, certainly! But there may have been another red --possibly entirely red -- SE5a flown during the war. Australian pilot Leslie Holden was a combat flight instructor stationed in the UK. His SE5a was painted all red so his students could distinguish the plane in the air. There is a short You Tube clip that includes this info.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry R. View Post
    Yes, certainly! But there may have been another red --possibly entirely red -- SE5a flown during the war. Australian pilot Leslie Holden was a combat flight instructor stationed in the UK. His SE5a was painted all red so his students could distinguish the plane in the air. There is a short You Tube clip that includes this info.
    Many of the school planes were painted in vibrant colors/patterns. I've run across some WW2 Japanese profiles I got excited about until I found out they were school planes.

Similar Missions

1. Se5a...
    By viper in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-16-2018, 16:22
  2. The £84 SE5a
    By 'Warspite' in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 05-16-2016, 23:43
  3. SE5a
    By SgtRock57 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7