Ares Games

Thread: No Euler D.I Love?

Default No Euler D.I Love?

It makes no appearance on Shapeways, nary a mention on the excellent Wings of Linen site, and even difficult to find any mention here on the 'drome, yet the Euler D.I, a German fighter based on the Nieuport N.11 did see a smidge of action and built in numbers that would warrant a bit of a look from Wings players.

Seeing the superiority of the N.11 over the various eindeckers, August Heinrich Euler designed the D.I in response. Euler was the first person in Germany to be awarded a pilot's license and ran an aviation school before the war. His mechanic aptitude came from sewing machines, then cycles, then motor cars.

Equipped with an Oberursel U.0 7-cylinder air-cooled radial piston engine that generated 80 horsepower, the E.I could reach a top speed of 87 miles per hour (slower than the N.11 by 14 mph). Climb rate was also inferior as compared to the N.11 taking an additional four minutes to reach 2,000 meters. The E.I, unlike many other German fighters, used a synchronized Euler-patented machinegun. While it showed some promise, and 75 machines would be built, by the time it would have reached the frontlines it would have been mostly outclassed by Allied aircraft.

In reality there isn't much call for someone to provide a D.I via Shapeways as one could use a Nieuport N.11 in a pinch. Slap on some linen colored paint and some eisenkreuz and you pretty much have a D.I.

Name:  download.png
Views: 171
Size:  24.9 KB

Name:  45-4.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  24.7 KB

Darryl, Interesting post! Learn something everyday!

Darryl, Agree with Dan, an interesting nugget of history.

Thanks for sharing that one Darryl - I agree, its an interesting post. And I confess its the first time I have ever heard of the Euler DI. Must rectify that situation by doing a little research myself.

PS A quick look at Wiki revealed that the DI was relegated to training duties because it was quickly replaced by the DII. The DII took so long to produce that when it finally reached its destination it too was out of date and relegated to training duties. As far as I can see, only two prototype D1s possibly saw action in late 1916. I guess this might explain the lack of "Love".
    Last edited by mikeemagnus; 12-23-2022 at 16:01.

"You'll-a" have to want examples of EVERY aircraft type produced if you want one of these as a Wings model

<<see what I did there?>>
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

There is a Nexus card for a Siemens Schuckert D.I, which is similarly obscure... So why not?

I'm with Mike - a rip off that couldn't match the original, barely saw service but made it as a trainer - no love to be lost there !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    "You'll-a" have to want examples of EVERY aircraft type produced if you want one of these as a Wings model

<<see what I did there?>>
    And yes, I DO want a model for EVERY plane! Now where did that Thomas-Morse Scout go...?

Quote Originally Posted by predhead View Post
    And yes, I DO want a model for EVERY plane! Now where did that Thomas-Morse Scout go...?
    I think I have a couple from SWs in the to-do bin(s)
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

cant wait to debute my entente captured D1 repaints lol

Thanks, Darryl. There's a 2 volume aeronaut books series on Euler that I've considered getting more than once. Might be time to check it out

Euler certainly was an innovator, who built several experimental C- and D- types during the early years of the First World War. Here's a listing of many of his experimental types:
    http://flyingmachines.ru/Site2/Crafts/Craft28270.htm

Similar Missions

1. F6F love
    By Gbear58 in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-11-2017, 13:28
  2. O.K. You love the Corsair so here's more!
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-09-2016, 12:40
  3. More Corsair Love!
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-03-2016, 13:21
  4. How to say to your wife how much you love her
    By Kubajs in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 10-10-2014, 13:08