Ares Games

Thread: Keep Warm, Yanks !

Default Keep Warm, Yanks !

I thought we had a cold snap in the UK last week but having seen the weather rolling across the USA I think we got off lightly.
    I wish our wingmen across the pond all the best with the 'bomb cyclone' as it drops on them. Keep warm and safe in your billets chaps, roaring fires and hot toddy's when and where you can - it ain't flying weather !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Thanks for the warm thoughts. We'll do our best.

Thanks! It is pretty darn cold today!

Two degrees (F) in Weirton, WV where I am visiting with family.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	800-IMG_1882.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	762.0 KB 
ID:	321799
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Two degrees (F) in Weirton, WV where I am visiting with family.
    And not a snowman in sight - too cold even for Daidi na Nollag Time for a noggin I think - a hot toddy or three all round.

I would like to add my good wishes to you all in the USA during this arctic snap. As Dave said our 8 below pales into insignificance when compared with what you are experiencing. Stay safe and snug over Christmas chaps.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

-7 earlier this morning, before wind chill. At work and keeping warm in my office...thanks for the well wishes, Flash!

Thanks Dave!!! We have -5 degrees with 4 inches of snow and 25-30 mph winds here in Northern Illinois. Needless to say, our Aerodrome is grounded. Everyone stay warm and safe regardless of your weather!!!

20 Degrees here in Portland
    (that's -6.7 for you Celsius chaps)

Strong winds and a dusting of snow.
    Now waiting for the freezing rain.

Toasty inside and a well-stocked bar = No Worries

My wife and I recently downsized from our home of 30+ years in Fairfield OH to a wonderful retirement community in Hamilton OH. We just finished moving the last boxes from our storage unit and cleared enough space in the garage to park the van inside just in time to beat the arrival of the winter storm. From rain and 48 degrees at 7pm last night we plunged to -32 degrees with 8 inches of snow by 7am this morning...while we were "adjusting" to the temperature change of 80 degrees in 12 hours our two Bernese Mountain Dogs (Izzy & Thor) were delighted and spent their time outside romping and playing in the white stuff! But the van is comfortably dry in our new garage. Merry Christmas to one and all!

Quote Originally Posted by redcoon2 View Post
    My wife and I recently downsized from our home of 30+ years in Fairfield OH to a wonderful retirement community in Hamilton OH. We just finished moving the last boxes from our storage unit and cleared enough space in the garage to park the van inside just in time to beat the arrival of the winter storm. From rain and 48 degrees at 7pm last night we plunged to -32 degrees with 8 inches of snow by 7am this morning...while we were "adjusting" to the temperature change of 80 degrees in 12 hours our two Bernese Mountain Dogs (Izzy & Thor) were delighted and spent their time outside romping and playing in the white stuff! But the van is comfortably dry in our new garage. Merry Christmas to one and all!
    Hey Tom! Maybe we will see you at a Wright Flight event soon?

Currently -5F in Akron; can't tell how much snow as it just keeps blowing around (they say 2").
    Made even better when the transformer across the street from my store exploded; very impressive,
    since idiot-child was outside (0630) moving pallets in the driving snow, I got a front row look at it.
    We kept the lights on with the generator, but no heat in my backroom
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

It is amazing how the wind is howling and blowing today. Makes it even colder! BBBRRRRR!

So cold buses were a no-service day (well, more wet ice on the roads) and I had to make arrangements with a friend to cover for me on today's Neighborhood Watch shift and cancel the grocery-supply-mail run after, but it's supposed to be back to the 40s-50s and "normal" here in Seattle tomorrow.

Unless the "civil servants" decide to be neither civil nor servants and demand another snow-day... and I have to be back early tomorrow to get mom out of the studio for a bit so housekeeping can work in here.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

The furnace at the Better Half's sister's shop was not working today. Took a bit of tinkering from the landlord to get it working. It wasn't brutally cold, but the weather on the island is bad this Christmas. Victoria is being buried, as was Vancouver, causing airports to close.

Travellers this season are not moving, some stranded away from home or their destinations. Oh, the civilian Comox Airport closed, as there was no place to fly to, with other regional airports closed or restricting arrivals.

We got a bit more snow overnight, and I had another chance to play with my new toy:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p_1001716237.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	321882

Cleared driveways around the neighbourhood and showed off the toy to a few interested people. It saved my back and shoulders, if not the biggest device. It did well enough for me.

Now we wait for the freezing rain and rain overnight and tomorrow. Travel will be more treacherous tonight and tomorrow, if it wasn't bad enough already.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Stay safe, enjoy your Christmas and fly some planes........ in a warm room .

Yes, stay safe and warm, people - Weather forecasters on this side of the pond are devoting more and more screen time to this "bomb cyclone" event, such is the rarity of a weather system of this size and ferocity.

"Keep Warm, Yanks !" - and our Canadian pilots, too.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Ye Gods that's some cold temps being reported, just looking at the Celsius/Farenheit conversion brings a chill !
    We had around -8C locally (17.6F) last week, Scotland had -16C (3.2F) but you chaps are trumping that in Spades - or snow shovels !
    temps like: 2F (-16.6C); -5F (-20.5C); -7 (-21.6C); -32F (-35.5C) don't polar bear thinking about

It was remiss of me but I wish our Canuck cousins toasty times too - wife is of part Canadian/American descent, ergo my kids are too.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Central Maryland joined the cool kids club this morning. At 8am this morning it was 5 degrees F (-15C) with a wind chill of -11F. Fortunately no precip however. But the antifreeze works regardless!

A toasty 1*F with wind chill here on Cape Cod. Just got in from putting the bird feeder back up that last night's wind blew down. Hope the birdies survived the night.

Not as bad as others I see but for here we haven't seen this in the last 4 winters we've been here.

thanks dave, though honestly, this isnt all that unusual for ohio.

Warmer than it has been in the past couple of days, but still not up to normal for this time of year and latitude. That's 44F/6.7C. The current temperature is 24F/-4.4C, and the high might actually reach the freezing point of water-32F/0C.

It was almost tropical today. Reached a high of 20F.

We had a white Christmas for the first time in 9 years (only about 3" of snow here in Kansas). Our high was in the low single digits F a couple days, with wind chills in the -30sF. Luckily, I had vacation scheduled so I could keep on eye on our pipes. In typical Kansas fashion, highs later in the week will be in the high 50sF.

Similar Missions

1. The Yanks in Italy
    By Naharaht in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-25-2020, 07:34
  2. The Yanks are coming.
    By rhodie80 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-12-2018, 21:40
  3. Kaisers Yanks
    By Burt in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 19