Ares Games

Thread: Long time model builder, new to WoW/WoG

Default Long time model builder, new to WoW/WoG

I've been involved in model building for a long time, pastic and paper display models, and R/C. I just recently discovered WoW/WoG. My primary interest is WW1 aircraft. I obtained the WoW Famous Aces and the Watch Your Back! game sets, and have some of the official aircraft miniatures. Really a fun game, and my wife has been a real trooper being my opponent.

I have built a couple of 1/100 paper models, a Boeing F4B4 (EcardModels), and a Cessna 150 (FG reduced to 1/100). Even this "larger" scale is a tedious build, so at 1/144, well those who take on such a tiny build have my admiration. I did, however, acquire two Valom kits, the Fokker E-III and the Spad XIII. Tiny but do-able, I think. I am also reading with interest forum posts regarding the Shapeways models; a number of interesting aircraft types there at a reasonable price.

So, I'm glad to be a part of this forum!

Shapeways; you are about to start down a very slippery slope.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

I second Robert, Shapeways is where to go. If you like to paint there is a spreadsheet HERE with hot links to most of the Shapways planes. They also sell painted versions of quite a few planes HERE.

I use Litko bases for my Shapeways planes. There are many ways folks do their own bases. How I do it see HERE.

I've also just glued one altitude peg to a Litko base to use the ARES flight pegs.

Shapeways as Robert said is a slippery slope as they can supply just about every plane flown in WWI.

Welcome, Larry! Glad to have you joining us.

Hi Larry, welcome to the forum from the other side of the pond.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Welcome to the 'drome, Larry, from a soggy Dorset in the UK this morning. I think you'll fill your WW1 dreams with this game & if the missus gets fed up with it you can still play the game solo !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

And a warm welcome and seasons greetings, even on a grey day, from Devon in the South West of the UK. Enjoy that slippery slope! Its wonderful
    Mike

Welcomes and Big Smiles from Ohio! This is a very fun game to play. Painting the shapeways planes is fun as well!

Welcome aboard Larry, I agree with the others, Shapeways is a very slippery slope, mind you not as slippery as buying a 3D printer and making your own. Thankfully I have resisted both avenues thus far.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Thankfully I have resisted both avenues thus far
    Oh come now Wingco - Shapeways is irresitible surely! Think what you could do with a couple more Bristols at this time of the year

Also a welcome from over the pond here in cloudy Nottingham Larry.
    Glad to hear that you have joined our merry band of aviators.
    Whichever path you choose to go you will find many tips and people willing to help you here on the Drome.
    Enjoy the flight. The skys are usually clear over your gaming table whatever the forecast is.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Welcome aboard!

And Shapeways is the Devil, or your friend...let's go with the latter!

Hello Larry, welcome to the group!!!

Thank-you all for the warm welcome. From some comments, it seems that Shapeways may be addictive. I'm thinking I'd like to put together a 1916 game senario, and Shapeways may offer aircraft types for that period. I should be careful, though. Too much too soon......lying awake at night thinking about that next plane.....

Welcome, Larry!

I'll also point you to the Wings of Linen WIKI. It covers our hobby from the gaming point of view and includes things like charts and tables of which planes were in use in each period, and lists of models in each scale. You're invited to contribute to it if you're so inclined.

Welcome to the 'Drome, Larry!

It's not Shapeways' fault that their planes are addictive (and all their other models, too), it's lack of discipline and self-control on behalf of the pilots here which leads to multiple purchases

Personally I can resist anything except temptation.

Enjoy the ride!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

welcome to the drome from the frigid land of buckeyes Larry!!!

Welcome to the drome, Larry!

Welcome from Kansas! I'll also put out Etsy as a source. There is at least 1 shop selling 1/144 Great War aircraft prints, and it wouldn't surprise me if there are more. I HAVEN'T ordered from the shop, so I can't attest to the quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    Name:  FB_IMG_1599379145275.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  103.0 KB

Slippery slope? Nonsense!

Name:  FB_IMG_1643328704078.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  98.2 KB
    Great looking collection! I kilka samolotów polskich. Bardzo ładnie.

Similar Missions

1. Long Time, No Flights! - AAR - Nov 2016 - Wildcats vs. Zeros
    By Dwarflord22 in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-04-2016, 07:09
  2. Ohio: Long time player - new to the forum
    By The G Dog in forum US Wing
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 09-03-2013, 00:55
  3. 300 up: a long time between drinks!
    By Baldrick62 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 14