Ares Games

Thread: System For Multiple AA Guns

Users Country Flag

Name
    Greg Johnson
    Sorties Flown

Default System For Multiple AA Guns

I played a couple of scenarios that used multiple AA guns and found that tracking them was a real task. Keeping up with which one was with each gun, when each was set to detonate at which turn and so forth was nearly impossible. I came up with an idea to make it easier and tried it out on another scenario. This seemed to make it easier so I thought I would share it and get some feedback.

The system basically tracks three stages by color/shape on a simple tracker designating fire and detonation times. It set the fire stage as a color for that turn, moves to the next turn where other guns can fire using a different color, then moves to the next turn where the first firing will detonate and allows firing of ready guns with a third color and then cycles through over and over. Each gun has an identifying marker for the particular gun and AA markers for each possible color stage with the identifying number of the gun on them. Each gun would have a set. Everything follows the AA rules with the exception that I like putting the reloading token on the corner of the AA card instead of off the card. I have added some images to help you see what I set up. Let me know your thoughts and suggestions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AA_tracking.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	321789

Name:	AA_Procecure_Guide.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	321790

Name:	AA_Numbered_Tokens.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	321791

Name:	AA_Ready.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	321792

Name:	AA_Fired.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	321793

Name:	AA_Reloading_1.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	321794

Interesting Greg. If I can get my head around it I'll try it out myself.
    Although personally, in the past, I have used the system recommended and not experienced trouble with it. This is where you use an AA "counter" for each gun and just move it from centre, to corner, to edge and back to centre on the AA "card" denoting its current status. 1. Can fire; 2. loading. 3. Still loading. Back to 1. Ready to fire. Not sure if this is the system you struggled with but it works ok for me even with multiple AA guns involved.

Name:	<acronym title=AA loading sequence 1.jpg  Views: 47  Size: 135.9 KB  ID: 321798" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Users Country Flag

Name
    Greg Johnson
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the comment mikeemagnus. I had good success with the regular rules too for small number of guns. This system is really the same rules. Just added mechanics and tokens to help identify the guns and AA tokens for each over time. When the numbers of guns reached 3 or more is where it started getting confusing for me especially when different guns fired at different times, there is no way to really keep up with which counter belonged with which gun on which round. We are running some scenarios with 10 or more guns and there are that many tokens on the field of play it is practically impossible to keep up with.

Our next scenario in WW2 is Operation Repulse, the resupply mission over Bastogne and we wanted to use 10 guns firing at the incoming C-47s. I will post some picks after the game in January. We needed a way to keep track of them and this is the result. The outlines seems wordy, but it is really just the basic gun rules listed out over a few turns identifying the key parts of the turns. Thanks again. If you do get a chance to test it I would like hearing how it went.

By the way, What is the background you used. Is it a map? mat? Where is it from? It looks very nice.

We are running some scenarios with 10 or more guns
    Fair point. I've never tried it with that number of AA guns before. Don't think my flying skills would be up to surviving 10 for very long

Re the background - One of the playing mats I make primarily for the OTT campaign. Made from interlocking garage rubber mats - there's a guide on the How To thread on the Home page if you are interested in ever making them yourself.

Name:	Terrain Winter 1916 3.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	321802

In the making. Later they get dolled up to fit the scenario with the addition of things like trees, snow, buildings and a backdrop photo or two.

Name:	BYM1 4.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	321803

Users Country Flag

Name
    Greg Johnson
    Sorties Flown

Thank you Biggles downunder. I hope you will find it useful. Please, if you test it out, please let me know of tweaks or issues.
    Last edited by Jaxin; 12-23-2022 at 10:47.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Greg Johnson
    Sorties Flown

Incredible set up mikeemagnus! So much effort and love in that! Salute!
    Last edited by Jaxin; 12-23-2022 at 10:47.

I have never played with more than 3 guns. That is somehow the limit my brain can handle.

Do you use the adjustTheAim and holdFire optional rule?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Greg Johnson
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by hokusai View Post
    I have never played with more than 3 guns. That is somehow the limit my brain can handle.

Do you use the adjustTheAim and holdFire optional rule?
    l have not used those optional rules before. I will have to try them out sometime soon. I am hoping that this system can help ease the use of the brain a little bit. Let me know if you get a chance to try it.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Greg Johnson
    Sorties Flown

We ran a scenario yesterday about the siege of Bastogne and had a test of the AA tracking system. It worked pretty well, but I discovered a couple of things that need to be added. First, for altitude, we used a small dice to indicate at what altitude each gun was firing at. Second, the back side of the gun ID token needs the ID number with an X beside it indicating it has been fired but also allowing the number to be seen. I will update the docs and images soon to reflect the changes.

Similar Missions

1. Multiple Machine Guns
    By Baxter in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-28-2020, 00:08
  2. Victories for multiple players?
    By celticgriffon in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-09-2012, 00:26
  3. What do you Fly when using multiple Aircraft?
    By gully_raker in forum Polls
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-15-2011, 07:40
  4. WWI system vs WWII system question????
    By Propjockey53 in forum Hobby Room
    Last Post: 12-01-2010, 14:14
  5. Multiple targets
    By Scotty in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Last Post: 07-03-2010, 08:56