Ares Games

Thread: Still in business?

Default Still in business?

I wonder how many manufacturers of aircraft in the Great War are still trading under the same name today?

Here are a few that I found:

AEG - AEG.com - although it has gone through some bewildering changes and is now part of Electrolux, the AEG brand still exists You may have an AEG fridge, a far cry from the twin engined AEG G.IV bomber...

Fokker - fokkerservices.com - perhaps the longest-lived aircraft manufacturer, Fokker was still producing aircraft until the 90s, when it went bust. The small successor company produces parts and offers aerospace services.

Siemens - siemens.com - the company that produced the Siemens Schuckert D.III / D.IV fighters has survived two world wars and has been through some changes, but it still exists, known today for its electrical products.

Can you find any others?

Not sure about aircraft manufacturers but the engine manufacturers seem to do well - Rolls Royce, Mercedes & BMW being the most obvious. Argus went on to WW2, supplying power to some well known types, including the Fiesler Storch, as well as the pulse jet for the V-1 & parts in the Tiger I !
    Doubtless there are many others across all the nations involved.

"He is wise who watches"

Good trivia question!
    • Fiat. (I'm still looking for good drawings of a Fiat R2.)
    • Boeing, if you want to count the B&W seaplane trainer.
    • Salmson is still in business, making water pumps I think?
    • Sikorsky is a division of Lockheed Martin, but I guess they don't count since they don't trade under the Sikorsky name.

Nice finds! Here are some other candidates:

Zeppelin - zeppelinflug.de - although dormant for many years, the company claims a direct lineage from the original that manufactured airships and fixed wing bombers during the great war.

Bristol - bristolcars.com - although the aircraft company was merged and absorbed into British Aerospace, the car manufacturing diversion of Bristol survived. Although it has had financial difficulties at various points it seems to still be alive.

Curtiss - curtisswright.com - a descendant of the company that built flying boats still exists today, selling defence products.

Fiat is a good example, started with engines and went on to making planes as SIA (Societā Italiana Aviazione), switching to Fiat name in 1918 & consolidating a number of manufacturers like Pomilio and Ansaldo. Involved in WW2 aircraft production and post war machines, now called Fiat Avio and involved in military & civil productions.

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. Aerodrome Accessories Going Out Of Business
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 11-11-2022, 07:49
  2. Out Of Business
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-08-2016, 13:57
  3. Business as usual.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum UK Wing