Ares Games

Thread: “A Bloody Paralyser of an Aircraft”

Default “A Bloody Paralyser of an Aircraft”

In 1915 Captain Murray Sueter, director of the Air Department of the Royal Navy, made a request to Frederick Handley Page for a “bloody paralyser of an aircraft” for use as a long-range bomber. By September 1918, a Handley Page 0/400 had joined the 1st Squadron, Australian Flying Corps in the Palestine Theater.

After Simon's aka Monse recent Staaken game and Dan's aka Camelbeagle twin Handley Page game, I thought I’d try a similar “big bird” scenario. A Handley Page is returning from a bombing run in the 1918 Palestine Theater when intercepted by two aging Ottoman Albatros C.IIIs. The objective of the 0/400 is to escape off the other edge of the table ... er … the western end of the desert. While the Ottoman’s try to down it.
    The bomber is in auto mode flying due west while I play both Albatros C.IIIs.

The Handley Page 0/400 is facing west heading back to 1st Squadron AFC from its bombing run on Ottoman positions while both Ottoman two-seaters (one brown and one blue) are closing in from the north.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2302.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	321730

The brown Albatros gets a close-range shot while the others exchange long range fire. The Handley sustains engine damage of one. So no stalls need to be played – yet!

Name:	IMG_2303.jpg 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	321731

The blue Albatros and Handley exchange fire with no damage but guns jams on the forward guns of both.

Name:	IMG_2304.jpg 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	321732

The Handley’s rear gun causes rudder damage on the blue Albatros.

Name:	IMG_2305.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	321733

Guns unjammed, the blue Albatros and Handley exchange fire again causing gun jams on both, this time on the rear gun of the Handley.

Name:	IMG_2307.jpg 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	321734

The brown Albatros finally gets back into the fight causing minor damage.

Name:	IMG_2308.jpg 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	321735

The brown Albatros makes some telling shots with fire and rudder damage and more hits on the Handley.

Name:	IMG_2309.jpg 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	321736

Things heat up even more with more hits and fire damage on the Handley. The brown Albatros’ gun is jammed and sustains major damage.

Name:	IMG_2312.jpg 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	321737

Now the blue Albatros and the Handley exchange fire with the Albatros taking a crew hit taking its rear gunner out of the fight.

Name:	IMG_2314.jpg 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	321738

At the top of the next round, the Handley takes more damage from the onboard fires.

Name:	IMG_2315.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	321739

As the Handley nears the western outskirts of the 1st Squadron , it explodes from shots taken from the blue Albatros combined with the accrued damage from the running gun fight.

Name:	IMG_2319.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	321740

The Handley sustains 39 points of damage including 15 for the half-boom card.

Name:	IMG_2320.jpg 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	321741

The blue Albatros took a lot of shots but only 5 damage points and a wounded observer. Meanwhile the brown Albatros only took 3 hits but sustained 8 damage points.

Name:	IMG_2321.jpg 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	321742

A victory for the Ottomans but if the Handley could have received average amount of damage on the last turn instead of the boom card it may have made it.

I tried this scenario earlier but in that game the Ottoman’s starting position was to the right corner of the table almost even with the Handley. They had terrible shooting and even difficulty getting into the firing arc for the Handley. It escaped off the western edge of the “desert” with little damage. Not a very interesting result. Putting the Ottoman’s further up the table edge in this game got the action going straight away.

Always a fun challenge against a Big Bird!

Fire is never good! Great AAR, Craig

Yet another interesting game using the big bombers.
    Thanks for posting Craig.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

That was some fiery action, Craig, for some reason I didn't think the Albatrii would do that well.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Great game. I do like to see those big boys in action. The HP is an easier meal that the Staaken for sure. The Turks must be delighted.

Nice! I've been meaning to try some two seaters versus big bombers...

The bombers don't always get through.

Thanks all for the compliments. Have a very good holiday with family and friends and maybe a few games too

Users Country Flag

Name
    Billy
    Sorties Flown

The bomber really is a giant compared to the scouts!

I liked your set up and tonings. I also enjoyed the game. Thanks. UNfortunately I can't give you rep at the moment.

Similar Missions

1. Bloody april
    By Dieter W. in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-04-2017, 06:13
  2. Bloody foreigners !!
    By tikkifriend in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 11-28-2016, 20:01
  3. Bloody April
    By Happy in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 3