Ares Games

Thread: Tactical climb

Default Tactical climb

My group uses Zoe’s “Ultra Simple Altitude” rules. Without going into much detail, all planes climb in a tactical sense, at 1 level per turn. Last week the question came up, IF you were going to assign a 2 level climb per tactical climb, what planes deserve that?

I'd assume those with a climb rate of 2? p14 RAP
    Just speculating though, my group uses different simplified alt rules that respect the given climb rates.

Default tactical climb

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    I'd assume those with a climb rate of 2? p14 RAP
    Just speculating though, my group uses different simplified alt rules that respect the given climb rates.
    im not at all being confrontational here, just asking questions that my group asked me. I'm kind of the leader of the club. You have a picture of a SE5a, do you believe that it could climb with the DR1 in a spinning tight tactical dogfight?
    And again pls, I'm just asking

Hmmm... Climbing in a dogfight?

As far as I can recall, planes in WWI were very worried about impacting the ground in a furball, not climbing out of it.

Climb rates were for getting into position before engaging in a fight. Which is why the higher altitude position was favoured by pilots. Once the fight started, it was all "downhill," as planes lost energy and speed in tight turns.

But, if you were to allow planes to gain altitude in a dogfight, the lower the number for "Climb Rate" the better the performance in climbing.

Link -> Ares Games - Downloads - WGF Climb Rates & Max Altitude Table

Anything with a "2" has the ability to gain one altitude for every two climb maneuvers. Gaining 2 levels of altitude in one maneuver would be four times the capability of the best planes?

PS: The Fokker Dr.1 was designed to climb faster, both by wing design and by the pitch of the propeller. Which is why it is slower in overall speed. It was maximized for climb. This had to do, IIRC, because most times the Entente planes were coming over the German lines hunting for targets, and the Germans wanted to climb to meet them, or get above them. Again, not to out-climb opponents in a dogfight. Although, if the opportunity to waste energy in a climb to gain a height advantage presented itself, I'm sure it was done.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 12-14-2022 at 17:28.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRock57 View Post
    im not at all being confrontational here, just asking questions that my group asked me. I'm kind of the leader of the club. You have a picture of a SE5a, do you believe that it could climb with the DR1 in a spinning tight tactical dogfight?
    And again pls, I'm just asking
    huh? I don't understand your attitude/concern? I was not at all confrontational, simply answered the question to the best of my knowledge. Yes, the SE5a had an excellent climb rate, not a pure climber as the Dr.I, but much faster.
    SE5a

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    huh? I don't understand your attitude/concern? I was not at all confrontational, simply answered the question to the best of my knowledge. Yes, the SE5a had an excellent climb rate, not a pure climber as the Dr.I, but much faster.
    SE5a
    Not at all you Chris, I thought I might be coming across with an attitude, I’m just trying to see how other people handle “house rule” tactical climbing

I should not worry about coming over with an attitude Dan.
    If I or the other moderators think you are out of line we will soon let you know.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRock57 View Post
    .. I’m just trying to see how other people handle “house rule” tactical climbing
    I use my own alt rules, Dan, I treat a peg as a climb chit, all planes can gain or lose a chit on most manoeuvre cards as they want (there are exceptions), on 'proper' climb or dive cards they gain/lose multiple chits based roughly on their given rate of climb.
    For example, machines with a climb rate of 2 can gain max 6 pegs on a proper climb card, those with a climb rate of 6 or more will only gain a couple of pegs. Doing it this way I find it keeps the relative performances about right.
    This means an alt level is about 12 pegs - this can bring it's own problems but I find with similar performing machines it's not not a great issue & you can always adjust the height levels.
    This is where I started:
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ing-the-Moves-!
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...o=file&id=1361
    Last edited by flash; 12-15-2022 at 03:51.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I use my own alt rules, Dan, I treat a peg as a climb chit, all planes can gain or lose a chit on most manoeuvre cards as they want (there are exceptions), on 'proper' climb or dive cards they gain/lose multiple chits based roughly on their given rate of climb.
    For example, machines with a climb rate of 2 can gain max 6 pegs on a proper climb card, those with a climb rate of 6 or more will only gain a couple of pegs. Doing it this way I find it keeps the relative performances about right.
    This means an alt level is about 12 pegs - this can bring it's own problems but I find with similar performing machines it's not not a great issue & you can always adjust the height levels.
    This is where I started:
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ing-the-Moves-!
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...o=file&id=1361
    Thank you Dave, as usual, great stuff

I don't differentiate at all between "Tactical" climbing and ordinary climbing.

If you point the nose up and apply max. power, you'll climb at the same rate no matter what your situation vis-a-vis other planes.

I tend to follow the climb rates as written, but then I'm able to assimilate game minutiae whilst many of my opponents are not!

If using peg climbs and avoiding climb counters, I tend to play "1 up 2 down", so a climb card will gain one peg, but a dive card will lose TWO pegs (this makes altitude much harder to gain than to lose).
    When scouts fight two-seaters, I double the climb card requirement for the tandems, so that TWO climb cards are required to gain one peg.
    A bit over simplified, but it seems to work.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Hmmm... Climbing in a dogfight?

As far as I can recall, planes in WWI were very worried about impacting the ground in a furball, not climbing out of it.

Climb rates were for getting into position before engaging in a fight. Which is why the higher altitude position was favoured by pilots. Once the fight started, it was all "downhill," as planes lost energy and speed in tight turns.

But, if you were to allow planes to gain altitude in a dogfight, the lower the number for "Climb Rate" the better the performance in climbing.

Link -> Ares Games - Downloads - WGF Climb Rates & Max Altitude Table

Anything with a "2" has the ability to gain one altitude for every two climb maneuvers. Gaining 2 levels of altitude in one maneuver would be four times the capability of the best planes?

PS: The Fokker Dr.1 was designed to climb faster, both by wing design and by the pitch of the propeller. Which is why it is slower in overall speed. It was maximized for climb. This had to do, IIRC, because most times the Entente planes were coming over the German lines hunting for targets, and the Germans wanted to climb to meet them, or get above them. Again, not to out-climb opponents in a dogfight. Although, if the opportunity to waste energy in a climb to gain a height advantage presented itself, I'm sure it was done.
    Thank you Dave, great DR1 Into I haven’t heard before. Helps greatly on moving my group forward

Perhaps too detailed for Wings of Glory, being that we use maneuver decks rather that actual engines and aerodynamic forces, but interesting:

Link -> Aces High - Energy Management

PS: Kinetic energy = speed. Potential energy = alt(itude).
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Similar Missions

1. Tactical Map
    By Beanie in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-22-2020, 08:23
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-18-2016, 05:22
  3. Tactical Walk Through of Aircraft
    By Goering Ace in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 115
    Last Post: 09-17-2015, 11:17
  4. Strategic Campaign with tactical WoG resolution?
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-04-2013, 21:44
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-18-2011, 22:41