Ares Games

Thread: Attacking a Zeppelin with rockets

Question Attacking a Zeppelin with rockets

Has anyone played a game with a Zeppelin where the attacking aircraft included ones armed with rockets? Do you think that is too much of an advantage for the attackers?
    So how many books are in your personal library?

I've moderated a game where a rocket-armed plane attacked a Forssmann-Mannesmann Triplane Bomber? Almost as big as a Zeppelin?

Link-> SND - International Skype Game - Slay the Leviathan - 8-9 June 2013

Using rockets against a Zeppelin would be a game-ender, IMHO. The target is too big, and the rockets will do catastrophic damage to the Zeppelin, and likely start a fire or four. The attacking plane might not survive the resulting explosions. You could allow more accuracy with the firing of the rockets, being that the Zeppelin is not able to agressively dodge the attack.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Hmmm...

Just went through the original rules for Burning Drachens. It says that rockets "were rarely of any use against aircraft and never gained any success against dirigibles". Zeppelins are dirigibles.

If rockets were ever used against Zeppelins, there was no recorded success. It could be because of the double layer of fabric and the sealed gas cells inside the rigid structure? If anyone can find accounts of Zeppelins being attacked by rockets, I'd be interested in reading it.
    Mike

Rockets were issued to home defence units but as you say they never brought one down. I suspect it was more of a weight issue for the aircraft carrying them and the ability to achieve the necessary height to engage a zeppelin successfully, not an issue for observation balloons. Drums of incendiary machine gun ammunition wouldn't present the same issues and would be generally as effective

It appears the intent was there as many types carried the rockets but if there were attempts made it appears they were unsuccessful, probably for the reasons already stated. They were also fired on a dive which would have been harder to get position on against a Zep than a balloon.

"He is wise who watches"

Did the Germans ever use them?

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Yes, but not often.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    LInk -> Tales, Anecdotes and Trivia - The Kaisers Rockets
    Mike

A very interesting find Mike.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

There are some good points here!!! I think the altitude and the weight would be the main factor with their success!!!

I've never yet played in or seen a game with rockets in which the balloon survived.
    They are WAAAAYYYY too accurate and effective in the game.

Bear in mind, though, that this matches the effect of machine guns being WAAAYYYY too effective also - reading the reports of pilots from both sides, they describe dogfights of 50+ aircraft per side in 1918, with only one or two planes in total being shot down!

Who would want to play such a game, with no "kills" being a common result? - no-one!

Personally, I don't use rockets, but I don't prevent others from doing so.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Similar Missions

1. WGF WW1 drawing of Sopwith Triplane Attacking a balloon
    By FlyBoy Nate in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-18-2018, 15:31
  2. Attacking Ground Targets
    By Nightbomber in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-21-2015, 12:51
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-03-2014, 12:18
  4. Attacking from the sun