Ares Games

Thread: Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 1 Dec 2022

Default Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 1 Dec 2022

AAR #1 Santa Must Get Through! Santa Claus (CrashCraig) must deliver presents to the four red Monopoly hotels on the board with Snoopy (Irish John) flying as his wingman for defense. Todd flies a Pfalz D.III and I had a Halberstadt to prevent this obvious propaganda ploy. Santa had to fly over the card with the hotel although not required to fly over the center dot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	800-IMG_1819.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	141.7 KB 
ID:	321348

Santa has made a successful first delivery and is about to complete delivery number two. Meanwhile, Todd and I have decided to gang up on Snoopy, who must be experiencing a severe tailwind since his red scarf is pointing forwards. Also, upon completing his first delivery Santa distributed chocolate candy to all participants.

Name:	800-IMG_1820.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	137.8 KB 
ID:	321349

And Snoopy gets the BOOM!

Name:	800-IMG_1821.jpg 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	321350

Even though Santa has completed two successful deliveries, he appears to be very tail heavy.

Name:	800-IMG_1822.jpg 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	321351

Santa is about to complete a successful third delivery while leaving a chocolate decoy on the playing field. With Santa moving with a 'A' deck, it will be nip and tuck if we stop him before he reaches his fourth delivery.

Name:	800-IMG_1823.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	167.2 KB 
ID:	321352

But Santa takes his eight damage point and crashes to earth (Original rules state Santa has six damage points for six reindeer, but Craigs model has eight reindeer so he got eight damage limit).

Name:	800-IMG_1824.jpg 
Size:	180.9 KB 
ID:	321353
    So how many books are in your personal library?

AAR #2 A not so simple dogfight (without Snoopy) with Craig flying his bright yellow Caudron G.4 and Irish John the FE2b. Todd and I stuck with the same aircraft we had in the first scenario. The game and progressed for a few turns before I took a photograph. As you can see, I am on fire, the FE2b is trying to get on my tail (notice the card not the model) and Craig is heading away from the action.

Name:	800-IMG_1825.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	174.4 KB 
ID:	321354

The second fire damage card was a 5. With a 4 for the first fire damage card, that was enough for finish me off. Unfortunately, John had to leave early so I took over the FE2b for the rest of the game.

Name:	800-IMG_1826.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	321355

Todd and Craig are duking it out, while I am trying to "Get in the War", as Craig put it.

Name:	800-IMG_1827.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	174.8 KB 
ID:	321356

Yes, that Caudron can shot to the rear, as shown by the photograph below. We used Craig's random altitude rule. If the roll of a D6 was 4-6, the tailing aircraft was high enough that the gunner could shot at him, as is shown in this photo.

Name:	800-IMG_1828.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	172.9 KB 
ID:	321357

Name:	800-CaudronG4.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	321360

It looks like Todd is beating a retreat to his own lines. He realized there was no safe way to approach either aircraft without taking machine gun fire.

Name:	800-IMG_1829.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	178.6 KB 
ID:	321358

Good thing. He has quite a bit of damage while Craig and I suffered very little.

Name:	800-IMG_1830.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	148.3 KB 
ID:	321359

I think I going to need to add more reindeer to up my damage capacity

Thanks Robert for writing up these AARs and posting them so quickly. A side note, this was my Caudron's first game and it didn't die!

Quote Originally Posted by CrashCraig View Post
    A side note, this was my Caudron's first game and it didn't die!
    Well that's something to celebrate!

Seems every time I put a new plane on the table it fails to make it through the mission.
    That Caudron is a beauty.

Too bad about Santa, but a least a few deliveries made it.
    What kind of evil bar steward shoots at Santa?

Thanks for posting, Robert.

Those scenarios look like a lot of fun! I expect next year's sled will have 16 reindeer, though, to account for attrition.

Couple of nice games.
    Unfortunately for me Snoopy will not take to the sky this Christmas as he is still recovering from wounds after being shot down three times over Doncaster this year two of which were by Flying Helmut alias the Rude Baron.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Love the Santa must deliver scenario. Yon, my wife, is also very keen, so we shall definitely try to put that one together for the grandchildren this Christmas. The idea of distributing chocolates for each successful delivery will undoubtedly affect the outcome, as will leaving chocolate decoys around the place. Definitely rep worthy, although I must raise an eyebrow and generally frown upon those who shoot at Santa Thanks for sharing guys

I just wonder what poor Department Store/Mall Santa the real Santa got to stand in as decoy for him.

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    I just wonder what poor Department Store/Mall Santa the real Santa got to stand in as decoy for him.
    Sam, I think it was the one from Bass Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    Those scenarios look like a lot of fun! I expect next year's sled will have 16 reindeer, though, to account for attrition.
    I lobbied to have Woodstock fly his Sopwith Pup as Santa's other wingman but was unsuccessful. In retrospect if Todd, aka Pseudotheist, had caused one less damage point, Santa would have reached the fourth house. As a side note, Todd was the pilot who shot my Santa down at last December's game! He is a naughty, naughty boy

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    I expect next year's sled will have 16 reindeer, though, to account for attrition.
    I don't thing Craig's model can handle another eight reindeer. If it did, I would recommend that Santa not be using the 'A' deck for movement.

Naughty boy shooting down Santa again. Looks like coal this year for him.

Nice that your Caudeon survived it's first mission. Like Pete, my first timers usually bury themselves but not with glory.

Awesome games! Always fun to see a Santa game, and great to see that Caudron in action

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    I don't thing Craig's model can handle another eight reindeer. If it did, I would recommend that Santa not be using the 'A' deck for movement.
    Maybe with 16 reindeer he should go even faster

Thanks for posting although I agree with the consensus view that shooting down Santa just before Chritmas is a heinous crime.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Maybe with 16 reindeer he should go even faster ..
    Perhaps the reindeer should take two wounds, thus doubling the HP of Santa's sleigh ensemble, and use a N deck to make him more agile.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Perhaps the reindeer should take two wounds, thus doubling the HP of Santa's sleigh ensemble, and use a N deck to make him more agile.
    I don't know. I think the fanboys of the North Pole SC.2 have always exaggerated its capabilities, especially when compared to the Weihnachtsmann C.VI. It's a clear case of Entente bias!

Similar Missions

1. Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 3 Nov 2022
    By RJG173 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-22-2022, 15:01
  2. Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 4 Aug 2022
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-21-2022, 04:26
  3. Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 5 May 2022
    Replies: 8