Ares Games

Thread: OTT-EYM Mission 2 - Hunting & Hunted in the Clouds - January 12th 1917 - by Mike

Default OTT-EYM Mission 2 - Hunting & Hunted in the Clouds - January 12th 1917 - by Mike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	321311 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	321312

“Thought you gave up” challenged 2nd Lt Dubh Beard, as he entered Uncle’s tiny shed of an office, which at that moment was full of the aroma from Uncle’s aromatic tobacco smoke.
    “I did, then I didn’t” replied the recording officer for 52 Squadron, RFC. “Too many sleepless nights and too bloody cold. Need something to keep me cheerful!”
    “Right enough, Uncle. You have a good point there! You sent for me?”
    “Correct Dubh, I did! Despite the wind, rain and snow, the bomber boys have been active again. They sent a few of their crews over towards Metz en Couture yesterday, to drop a few eggs on some artillery positions that Mick Taker spotted last week before his little accident. So now they want confirmation of their success.”

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	321313 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	321314

“And you want me to go take a look, is that right?”
    “Spot on you clever Irishman you. I know, there’s a lot of cloud about and your chances of seeing much are fairly slim. But give it a go. You never know your luck! Oh and I don’t need to remind you, do I, that there’s still a bit of activity up there, despite the weather conditions? Got a message through from a friend of mine in 3 Naval, claiming one of their chaps downed an Albatros in the area a couple of days back, and as you know, Mick Taker is still recovering from his meeting with one last week. Don’t want you joining him on the sick list!”

Name:	5.jpg 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	321315 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	321316

“Certainly not, Uncle. I shall be very careful, don’t you worry. Perhaps you could provide a little support to ensure that doesn’t happen.”
    “Nobody else available right now, Dubh. Sorry!”
    “Ah well” muttered the Irishman. “Nothing unusual there then!” And he departed, leaving the relative warmth of the shed for the cold of the air outside. It was a very cold winter and some of the snow from last week’s heavy fall, was still evident.

Name:	EYM2 1.jpg 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	321317 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EYM2 2.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	321318

A short while later, Dubh discovered that Uncle was quite correct. There was a lot of cloud about, but it was moving pretty quickly, gliding gracefully, like rolly polly bundles of cotton wool, steadily towards the east. He knew his objectives were down there somewhere, but he couldn’t spot a thing right now. What with the whiteness of the snow laden clouds and a sprinkling of their recent deposits already covering the ground below, he was going to have a really hard time achieving this mission successfully.
    Scanning the area intently, he also failed to notice something blue approaching on his starboard beam, from the south.

Name:	EYM2 3.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	321319

Name:	EYM2 4.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	321320 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EYM2 5.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	321321

Nor did he have any clues about the presence, in the area, of two more enemy aircraft; one to the north and one quite some way further to the east. This really was going to be a tough call.

We shall come back later to the Albatros DIII, patrolling from south to north, not far from the village of Metz en Couture, as the pilot of this aircraft remained oblivious to what happened over the next few minutes, until news of it reached his ears back at his barn that same evening.
    For the moment, therefore, we shall focus on our little Sopwith Pup, currently in the competent hands of 2nd Lt Dubh Beard, from Waterford in Ireland, and the approaching sky blue Albatros DIII, piloted by the, not much less, very capable hands of Ltn Theodor Ehmann, of Jasta 24. The latter was under orders to patrol the area and “destroy” any enemy aircraft in the unlikely event they were stupid enough to return to yesterdays bombing location, given the weather conditions prevailing at that moment.
    Ltn Ehmann was keen to add more to his short list of one confirmed “kill”, so the moment he caught sight of the Sopwith scout he made a beeline for it. Unfortunately, from his point of view, he was hampered by the clouds into which his prey slipped in the blink of an eye.

Name:	EYM2 6.jpg 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	321322 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EYM2 7.jpg 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	321323

He had to guess at the exit point from which the Sopwith would emerge and as it so happened, he got it slightly wrong, partly because he misjudged the speed of the moving cloud cover and partly because he didn’t allow for his opponent becoming a little disorientated whilst in the same cloud bank.

And it was lucky for Beard that he did, accidentally veer to his starboard somewhat, otherwise he might not have spotted the blue Albatros in time.

Name:	EYM2 8.jpg 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	321324 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EYM2 9.jpg 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	321325

As he emerged from the first cloud bank that he encountered, he immediately spotted Ehmann’s mount on his right and instinctively turned sharp left towards the next cloud bank. Ehmann was on his tail, but as yet just a little out of range. Either that or he hadn’t picked up the Pup quickly enough because of the clouds. Either way, Beard cringed, expecting a hail of bullets to rip through his Pup and himself at any second. But that didn’t happen. For now he was a lucky boy.

Name:	EYM2 10.jpg 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	321326 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EYM2 11.jpg 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	321327

It was time to do something different and try to turn the tables on this audacious enemy, the one that had almost caught him napping. Given that the best form of defence is attack, he changed his mind about entering the next bank of clouds and flipped his machine about in a 180 degree turn, that brought him face to face with the Albatros.

Name:	EYM2 12.jpg 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	321328 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EYM2 13.jpg 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	321329

Both pilots opened fire at the same moment at very short range. Gritting his teeth, Beard felt the controls go a bit slack at this time, as bullets viciously slammed into the Pup, damaging his left rudder controls. But then he looked up and the Albatros had gone. He just had time to look down and see the blue bird spiralling towards the ground, smoke pouring from the engine which had been hit and partially exploded.

Name:	EYM2 14.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	321330

But he had no time to celebrate. Swinging hard right (Ace skill “Acrobatic Pilot” played) to continue his search for the effects of yesterday’s bombing, he now saw a second enemy aircraft, at the same time as it had obviously just spotted him.

Name:	EYM2 15.jpg 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	321331 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EYM2 16.jpg 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	321332

The chase was on, but Beard needed just a few seconds to use that mallet he carried, on the advice of a friend and colleague, to smash away at the rudder controls in order to free the jammed mechanism.

Name:	EYM2 17.jpg 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	321333 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EYM2 18.jpg 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	321334

Name:	EYM2 19.jpg 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	321335 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EYM2 20.jpg 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	321336

In short order, the pilot of this second Albatros, Ltn Otto Gerbil, closed him down and opened fire at long range (two cards drawn as Gerbil used his ace skill “Sharp Eye”), just as Beard unjammed his controls and again, flipped his machine around to face his enemy. He then too opened fire.

Name:	EYM2 21.jpg 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	321337 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EYM2 22.jpg 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	321338

He could have sworn that he saw the pilot almost leap out of his seat. “Must have hit him!” he thought to himself. But now he realised that his Pup was in a bad way, with wires slack, fabric flapping and obvious signs of damage to spars. It was time to abandon the mission.

Name:	EYM2 23.jpg 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	321339 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EYM2 24.jpg 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	321340

Uncle was going to be disappointed and the bomber boys would probably moan like hell. But there was no point in risking his life further in a bus that was falling apart. He looked back over his right shoulder as he was crossing the trenches below, with their awful barbed wire defences. In the distance he could still see the second Albatros flying north. Had he got that one or had it escaped? He’d have to claim it as a probable. A “forced down”.

Ltn Otto Gerbil’s thoughts were similar. He was in a bit of pain, but he didn’t think the wound to his shoulder was that serious. Too much blood spilled to want to hang around and finish off the Britisher, but he was pretty convinced he had done a great deal of damage to the Sopwith scout. He would report that as a probable. A “forced down”.

Name:	EYM2 25.jpg 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	321341 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EYM2 26.jpg 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	321342

Name:	EYM2 27.jpg 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	321343

And so, last but not least, we can return to the third Albatros, a DIII, which was also out on patrol that day. It’s pilot, ObLtn Erich Wedel, remained completely ignorant of the events that had just taken place a short distance to the west, beyond a large bank of clouds. For him his day was serene for a change. It was rare for him to be able to fly up and down, just above the clouds and in the sunshine. Bitterly cold it might be, but up here it still felt really good to be alive, in such peaceful surroundings.

Name:	EYM2 28.jpg 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	321344 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EYM2 29.jpg 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	321345

Whilst beneath him lay the burnt out remains of one of his own sides artillery positions – completely destroyed!

Name:	EYM2 30.jpg 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	321346

The end.

Butcher’s Tally

Name:	EYM2 31.jpg 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	321347

Entente
    2Lt Dubh Beard: - Sopwith Pup/ FRTB-D 1 Kill; 1 probable FRTB-W
    FRTB Rolled 1+1 = crashed.
    C/W Rolled 12 +1ACE +1RTB -1FRTB = 13 - All well when you land well...

Central Powers
    ObLtn Erich Wedel: - Albatros DIII (Yellow) - RTB 0 Kills

Ltn Otto Gerbil: - Albatros DII (Green) - FRTB-W / WIA 0 kills; 1 probable FRTB-D
    FRTB Rolled 2+2 = Crashed.
    C/W Rolled 8 +1RTB -1FRTB -1WIA = 7 - Injured Skip 1D2 scenarios; Rolled 4 = Skip 2

Ltn Theodore Ehmann: - Albatros DIII (Blue) - EXP-FT 0 kills
    Rolled 12 -3 EXP = 9 – All well when you land well (if somewhat annoyed)

Notes:
    Thanks John, a very enjoyable mission. Re movement – I used wool for the clouds, placed loosely on plywood bases that I already had and decided that they would all move at the same speed.

Minor difficulties were experienced at turn changeover points, when clouds moved and aircraft, on them, hadn’t yet done so. Otherwise all went pretty smoothly. My clouds were perhaps a little too large and too numerous for my pilot ever to stand much chance of spotting the bombed target areas, but then that’s probably pretty realistic.

I applied your idea, of a pilot possibly becoming disorientated in clouds, to both sides, but I ignored the aircraft being “in the clouds” unless the whole “aircraft base” was on the “cloud base” at the time. Given the size and number of clouds I used I had to do this otherwise there would have been little action at all. It meant that only once did the Pup veer from its intended course and only once did the Albatros DIII (Yellow) do the same and that at the end of the mission, when everything was pretty much done and dusted.

I continue to get an unusual run of dice throws! Explosion drawn on second card. Mostly high value damage cards following that and at least three doubles thrown during the Butcher’s Tally calculations (including 2 double sixes). Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket. Made for a mission that only took five turns so, I have to say, that made me happy

Mission failed, but Beard did get 1 kill and a “Probable”, whilst Gerbil also got a “Probable”. I’ll settle for that.
    Last edited by flash; 12-03-2022 at 04:01. Reason: Title/Tally tidy

You have raised the bar so high with this one it has been lost in the clouds.

What did you use for the snow?

What did you use for the snow?
    Hi Gary - thanks for the compliment and the pun. Appreciated Re the snow - I used a commercial sprinkle on railway modelling scenic snow. After use I tip it all onto a plastic sheet then from there into a used ice cream carton ready for next time. Eating the ice cream first is an added bonus
    Last edited by mikeemagnus; 12-02-2022 at 15:33.

Mike - another totally awesome AAR

Nice AAR and some very atmospherics photos to back it up.

Nicely done, Mike.
    Between your 3D clouds and excellent background the atmosphere really comes through.
    REP on the way - hopefully it makes it through the clouds.

Hi Mike, nice and short but sweet action for Beard. Excellent shooting soon make short work of the closest bird but took some heavy damage in return, clouds helped to even up the odds of 3 to 1. Great scenery as always.

Stunning looking AAR, chap, and very well played - getting out while the going was good was the absolute right thing to do !

Uncle says:

Name:	Uncle Outside.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	321404
    Well done that man, bagged one and sent one packing, we'll have to send someone up to have a look when the weather gets better, or, include it in another patrol to keep the bomber chaps happy
    Couple of things to sort with the title to tidy things up a bit and take a butchers at the FRTB thing again but the rest is spot on, so relax by the fire with a warm toddy

* FRTB - crash landing:
    In a nutshell; if your pilots are FRTB-E/W/F/D.. Roll2D6 - They crash on a double.
    If they crash - roll for the C/W result and include both the +1RTB and the -1FRTB modifiers.

If they don't crash they stuck the landing & no c/w roll is required unless they're WIA..
    In which case a standard C/W roll is made without the -1 FRTB modifier
    Last edited by flash; 12-03-2022 at 04:18.

"He is wise who watches"

Cheers Dave - wonderful explanation. Problem is I thought I had done all that So dippy me still doesn't grasp it properly then?

Hey ho - happy to leave it to the boss

Aah PS I think I know what I did wrong. Forgot to include the +1 RTB for Beard! Is that it?

You did but it looks like you rolled both crash & no crash options for Gerbil, so doubled up on the effort required.
    If you crash then you make a C/W roll including +1RTB & -1FRTB and any WIA's etc
    If you don't crash there is no C/W roll unless you are wounded - in that case no -1FRTB, as you stuck the landing.

"He is wise who watches"

Wow! Wonderful AAR, Mike. Loved the clouds, snow, and art images - I felt cold just reading this lol.
    Winds must have been gusting as pilots had trouble landing
    REP

Artfully done, Mike. Really enjoyable.

Really nice effects Mike. I could feel a cold January day coming through my laptop screen. Did you use that ice cream for the practice run?

Good to get home and with a kill under your belt.

Mike that was an enjoyable story, one to be savoured along with the beautiful pictures of a snow covered, war torn landscape. I like how your snow has gathered in the wheel tracks, defining them very clearly against the surrounding landscape. Brilliant.

Beard was extremely lucky not to take that last point of damage, a bit of a heart stopping moment when you drew the 3 and 4 damage cards, these twin gunned Albatrii are the very devil in a one on one fight. At least he got another victory out of the combat, so something to celebrate in the Mess tonight, even if the mission was a washout, or should that be whiteout.

I see the mallet comes in useful for unjamming controls as well as guns, I'll have that posted on the notice board, although I'm not sure how many of my chaps can read. maybe I'll include it in the morning briefing, although I'm not sure how many of them are fully awake then either.

I'll have a quick look at my briefing for the game but you're right, planes need to be fully in the cloud or hidden on the far side to be out of sight. If the base is partially in and out of a cloud then they can see and be seen. Probably my poor explaination, sorry.

I knew you wouldn't be able to resist making clouds, it was always going to be tricky positioning the planes in cotton wool. I thought about removing the plane from the base and using the base, under the cloud for position, but I may just use white paper for ease.

As already stated you set a very high bar for us all to follow. Well done.
    Cheers

Thanks once again guys and a Merry Christmas to you all. Have a wonderful time and a peaceful one. And thanks John for the Mission - It really was fun - Half expected a collision with a stray sleigh, but fortunately, not an antler in sight anywhere

Well done Mike, love the clouds!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Hi Gary - thanks for the compliment and the pun. Appreciated Re the snow - I used a commercial sprinkle on railway modelling scenic snow. After use I tip it all onto a plastic sheet then from there into a used ice cream carton ready for next time. Eating the ice cream first is an added bonus
    Ice Cream is always good, before, during, and after a mission!!!

Masterful AAR Mike and the scenery is so good . Got to spread the love of rep around so watch your 6

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Thanks Paul - very kind comments

Ice Cream is always good, before, during, and after a mission!!!
    Absolutely Timothy, but I just wish it didn't have quite such a disastrous effect on the waist line

Similar Missions

1. Mess of the OTT Edgy Young Men Campaign 1917
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 179
    Last Post: 01-31-2024, 08:01
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-13-2023, 02:55
  3. OTT Edgy Young men (EYM) Campaign Rules.
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-17-2022, 04:42
  4. AAR OTT Cocky Young Men - Mission 5 "Going Solo" - 5th August 1916 - by Mike
    By mikeemagnus in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-05-2021, 15:26
  5. AAR OTT DYM Mission 9 Timing is Everything by Mike
    By mikeemagnus in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-19-2019, 06:43