Ares Games

Thread: OTT-EYM Mission 1: When the Blood Runs Cold – 5th January 1917 {Stumptonian}

Default OTT-EYM Mission 1: When the Blood Runs Cold – 5th January 1917 {Stumptonian}

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01-DSCN2772.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	202.1 KB 
ID:	321258
    Newly promoted Obltn Günther Giesebrecht and wingman Ltn Felix Eisenhardt are crossing No Man’s Land toward the Entente trenches.
    Their plan is to cross into enemy airspace and catch any stragglers returning to base.

There have been rumours circulating that Giesebrecht will be moving on to greener pastures leading his own Jasta.
    Fearing the inevitable order to fly a desk in future he wants to enjoy what time he has remaining in the cockpit rather than staring at reports ….

Just as they are approaching enemy territory Eisenhardt fires a short burst.
    Expecting enemy closing Giesebrecht instead sees Felix pointing at his engine and waving back toward home.

Name:	02-DSCN2773.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	224.5 KB 
ID:	321259
    Looks like this will be a solo flight from now on.
    Eisenhardt drifts off to the right and turns away.

Name:	03-DSCN2774.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	205.0 KB 
ID:	321260
    Giesebrecht sees the terrain beneath him change from mangled mud to green and knows he has left No Man’s Land behind.

What he doesn’t see is another aircraft behind him.
    This one seems to be missing the crosses identifying the aircraft as a member of the Luftstreitkräfte …

Name:	04-DSCN2775.JPG 
Size:	215.2 KB 
ID:	321261
    Giesebrecht has a feeling he is not alone.

A Sixth Sense, or is it just Situationsbewusstsein ? <Situational Awareness> learned from flying 28 missions like this one over the last year.
    Exactly a year, as a matter of fact, since that first one with his fellow rookies, some of whom are no longer flying ….

Name:	05-DSCN2776.JPG 
Size:	195.2 KB 
ID:	321262
    The Albatros D.III is a far cry from the flimsy Fokker Eindecker he started with.

Seeing his pursuer Giesebrecht lets the Albatros meander to the right and begins a slow stall …

Name:	06-DSCN2777.JPG 
Size:	226.6 KB 
ID:	321263
    The Sopwith Pup follows and Giesebrecht hopes to startle him with a Split-S

Tikka tikka

He gets off a burst and damages the Sopwith

Name:	07-DSCN2779.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	213.7 KB 
ID:	321264
    Both pilots have Sniper Skills and Itchy Trigger Finger but Giesebrecht’s finger is faster.

Name:	08-DSCN2778.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	321265
    Just not fast enough …
    [I rolled a D6 for each to see who got to use the advantage]

Da da da da
    The Pup pilot retaliates – this is no beginner he is facing. A Critical Hit!
    Or is it …..?

Giesebrecht’s Lucky Pilot saves his day.

What a start!

Name:	09-DSCN2780.JPG 
Size:	201.7 KB 
ID:	321266
    Giesebrecht nips just in front of the Pup.

Name:	10-DSCN2781.JPG 
Size:	206.7 KB 
ID:	321267
    Giesebrecht performs another Split-S and catches the Pup again.

Tikka tikka

[The Sniper Skill at least saves him from a jammed gun]

[I gave the Pup pilot a 50% of playing a turn or Split-S for the previous card. Also note that both of these pilots are Super Aces which means the recovery time after using skills is cut in half]

Name:	11-DSCN2782.JPG 
Size:	205.5 KB 
ID:	321268
    The Pup evades Giesebrecht.

Wer ist dieser Kerl ?
    < Who is this guy ? >

Giesebrecht realizes he is facing an experienced pilot.

Name:	12-DSCN2783.JPG 
Size:	189.9 KB 
ID:	321269
    Tikka tikka
    The Pup flies a sharp right but Giesebrecht manages to get a few bullets into it.

Name:	13-DSCN2784.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	196.9 KB 
ID:	321270
    The Pup get out of Giesebrecht’s sights and avoids a subsequent hit.

Name:	14-DSCN2785.JPG 
Size:	211.3 KB 
ID:	321271
    Expecting a reversal from the Pup, Giesebrecht turns to the right.

Name:	15-DSCN2786.JPG 
Size:	218.1 KB 
ID:	321272
    The Pup indeed flies a Split-S but the pilot is flummoxed to see his target has eluded him.

“Crikey this beggar is good …” he concedes.

Name:	16-DSCN2787.JPG 
Size:	205.5 KB 
ID:	321273
    Both pilots turn to face their opponent.

Name:	17-DSCN2788.JPG 
Size:	201.2 KB 
ID:	321274
    Little, for this is indeed Australian ace Robert Alexander Little, gets the Itchy Trigger edge this time.

Da da da da
    He sees some damage to the Albatros.
    Not as much as his Sniper skill should have done, perhaps, but his Perfect Aim gives him an extra bit.

Tikka tikka

Giesebrecht’s Sniper ability strikes home and a spark is seen to flicker from the Pup

Or perhaps not ….

Little’s a Lucky Pilot as well it turns out.

Name:	18-DSCN2789.JPG 
Size:	186.0 KB 
ID:	321275
    Both pilots are fixated on their opponent and very nearly end each other’s day!

Name:	19-DSCN2790.JPG 
Size:	195.3 KB 
ID:	321276
    Giesebrecht’s Split-S catches Little off guard

Tikka Tikka

Bits of wood and canvas fly from the Pup and Little’s rudder slackens.

Little’s Pup can’t take much more of this.

Name:	21-DSCN2791.JPG 
Size:	190.0 KB 
ID:	321277
    Little performs an Immelmann and heads away from the Albatros.
    [No Photo: camera battery died as I was taking the shot and I forgot to retake]

Name:	22-DSCN2792.JPG 
Size:	195.7 KB 
ID:	321278
    Giesebrecht flies yet another Split-S and is surprised when the Pup flies a sharp right turn.

Name:	23-DSCN2793.JPG 
Size:	198.8 KB 
ID:	321279
    Little continues to turn and keeps out of Giesebrecht’s arc.

Name:	24-DSCN2794.JPG 
Size:	196.3 KB 
ID:	321280
    Giesebrecht looks over his shoulder.

Another joust?

Name:	25-DSCN2795.JPG 
Size:	210.8 KB 
ID:	321281
    Giesebrecht stalls in preparation for another quick Split-S

Name:	26-DSCN2796.JPG 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	321282
    Giesebrecht reverses, expecting to face the Englander* again, but Little surprises him by turning into a cloud bank.

[* he can be forgiven for not realizing he was facing an Aussie]

Name:	27-DSCN2797.JPG 
Size:	130.4 KB 
ID:	321283
    On a Wing and a Prayer, Little disappears, hoping he has seen the last of the D.III

Or any others. His aircraft cannot afford to take any more damage, no matter how slight.

Name:	28-DSCN2798.JPG 
Size:	196.3 KB 
ID:	321284
    Giesebrecht considers following his prey.

Name:	29-DSCN2799.JPG 
Size:	197.7 KB 
ID:	321285
    But then decides it might be best to follow suit and head back to the barn.

“Es wird immer einen anderen Tag geben ....“
    < There will always be another day >

At least he hopes there will.

Butcher’s Tally

Adler

Name:	30-DSCN2800.JPG 
Size:	142.1 KB 
ID:	321286
    Albatros D.III

Obltn Günther Giesebrecht: RTB 0 Kills, 1 Probable

Entente
    No. 8 Squadron RNAS

Name:	31-DSCN2801.JPG 
Size:	160.8 KB 
ID:	321287
    Sopwith Pup

Lt Robert Alexander Little: FRTB-D 0 kills
    Rolled 1 & 1 : Crashed !
    C&W: 8 -1FRTB +1RTB +1ACE = 9 - All well when you land well.

Name:	32-Little.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	321288

Victory Conditions

Per the scenario rules:
    The Enemy Ace is FRTB : A Propaganda Victory

========================================================
    Well that was an interesting matchup, Paul.
    I had been leery of your challenge to Giesebrecht, so when I drew the Boom on the first shot my fears came right to the forefront!

(Luckily I did not have to use the Double Ace skill which would let him be a Lucky Pilot again, if needed.)

It was then a back-and-forth between two evenly matched pilots: Each has five ace skills.
    Although Little didn't really begin to shine until April when the RNAS received the Sopwith Tripe, a single encounter like this could very well have happened.

Had a b*tch of time posting this - the site stalled on me several times. I had better have a good look at the result in case it needs fixin' ....
    Got this in just under the wire. I see John has posted Mission 2. I hope to get the next one in the bag before the Christmas Crazies are upon us.
    Last edited by flash; 11-30-2022 at 01:44. Reason: Tally tidy

Blimey Pete that was a bold thing sending Giesebrecht out on this mission, he very nearly didn't make it. Although once he got into his stride it looks as though the twin guns dealt more damage and of course his flying skills were superior.
    Well done

Slippery devil but didn't seem to be much of a threat in the end.

Onkel says:

Name:	Uncle-Onkel.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	321289
    You need to take more care Günther, you're too valuable to be stooging about over the lines on your own asking for trouble. You very nearly got some this time but sustained little damage, except perhaps to your nerves, and sent Tommy on his way. You're back safe and sound though, so something to celebrate
    Last edited by flash; 11-29-2022 at 02:27.

"He is wise who watches"

Nice one Pete. I see you have accents off to a tee “Crikey this beggar is good …”, mad me laugh at the time, although I think the Aussie would use a stronger term than beggar and Streuth instead of Crikey!! Nice little action which nearly ended on the first shots, good to see Giesebrecht tested with his Ace status.

Nice action with two evenly matched pilots. Well done to Giesebrecht for nearly downing an enemy Ace.

Brave indeed Pete, risking Günther Giesebrecht. But with those ace skills under his belt I guess the odds were more even. Well played and am I right in thinking you have a new camera? The colours look really good Nice result for the Eagles and a well deserved rep wending its way to their barn

I was waiting for this match up and I'm glad you decided to send out Günther, who's a renowned ace by this time. I think he's the highest scoring pilot of all the pilots on our collective rosters. I wasn't disappointed. A solid fight and maybe it's appropriate that it ended as it did. Interesting to see all of those ace skills on both sides being slapped down on the table. Wooo!

Now that all missions are done, the overall results are that players shot down the enemy ace four times, and FRTB once - so 50% of the time beating the ace. No player pilot was shot down or FRTB; although one player pilot got confused and thought he was FRTB. It turned out to be not a serious wound but a slight scratch.

Btw are you thinking of "retiring" Günther????? I suppose that would be good news for the Entente side.

Finally, I too had difficulty loading the scenario. The site seems to be increasingly unstable.
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 11-29-2022 at 05:43.

A tough customer for Gunther! Little did little damage to this Hun though as Gunther didn't let the boy from done under get much in shooting. Good flying Gunther!

I think Gunther's nerves are shot. To worry as he does when he has 2 lucky pilots skills to use gives him a great advantage.

Thanks for all the comments and REP, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Nice one Pete. I see you have accents off to a tee “Crikey this beggar is good …”, mad me laugh at the time, although I think the Aussie would use a stronger term than beggar and Streuth instead of Crikey!!
    Thanks, Baz. You'll find it's difficult to use stronger language on this site - the Bulletin Board software edits out even some innocuous phrases.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Blimey Pete that was a bold thing sending Giesebrecht out on this mission, he very nearly didn't make it. Although once he got into his stride it looks as though the twin guns dealt more damage and of course his flying skills were superior.
    Well done
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Brave indeed Pete, risking Günther Giesebrecht. But with those ace skills under his belt I guess the odds were more even.
    As you can see below, the gauntlet was thrown - I had no choice!

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    This scenario is just so Pete's top aces have some competition but maybe he'll keep them in hiding.
    I was waiting for this match up and I'm glad you decided to send out Günther, who's a renowned ace by this time.
    Btw are you thinking of "retiring" Günther????? I suppose that would be good news for the Entente side.
    Onkel has indicated that Giesebrecht has maxed out his contributions and will be transferring out of Jasta 24 once Obltn Wienand comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I think Gunther's nerves are shot. To worry as he does when he has 2 lucky pilots skills to use gives him a great advantage.
    Actually, that is only true as long as the need doesn't arise before 7 recovery tokens have been removed ...
    There are lots of Pilot wounds, Flames and Booms in 3 'B' decks.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    ...am I right in thinking you have a new camera? The colours look really good
    Same camera, just new settings I started using in Picasa

A very impressive action Pete, and enjoyable to boot.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Another good battle. I love those airfield scoring mats you use too. Well done.

Now that all missions are done, the overall results are that players shot down the enemy ace four times, and FRTB once - so 50% of the time beating the ace. No player pilot was shot down or FRTB; although one player pilot got confused and thought he was FRTB. It turned out to be not a serious wound but a slight scratch.
    Ha - that's easy for you to say but it wasn't your windshield that got shattered, spraying glass and blood all over the place. Besides Confusion is my middle name, not a state of mind.

I'm just glad it wasn't me flying, I'd never live it down.

Onkel has indicated that Giesebrecht has maxed out his contributions and will be transferring out of Jasta 24 once Obltn Wienand comes back.
    Can't have been paying attention, as usual, as this is a new one on me. What a great idea! Sorry you will lose the best pilot we have, but it will make the challenges better I'm thinking.

Wonderful AAR, Pete! Giesebrecht will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Onkel has indicated that Giesebrecht has maxed out his contributions and will be transferring out of Jasta 24
    Yikes! Time to let Jack sit out a mission or two. After two campaigns he was at 14 kills vs Gunther's 15. If he keeps at it this will be his last campaign. I can't let that happen since I have Sopwith Camel paint job planned for him.

Yikes! Time to let Jack sit out a mission or two. After two campaigns he was at 14 kills vs Gunther's 15. If he keeps at it this will be his last campaign. I can't let that happen since I have Sopwith Camel paint job planned for him.
    I wouldn't worry too much Paul, having just checked Jack Wilde's score it's a paltry 15 kills but Giesebrecht is on 26, Jack must have been sleeping recently or Giesebrecht's been on Speed or whatever the current equivalent of Speed is.
    You did have me a little worried because 2nd Lieutenant Vagabond is on an unlucky 13 but it's taken 3 years to get there so I think there's plenty of time left for him to get invalided home before being forcibly retired.

Dave I wonder if we could have your thoughts on this, is Giesebrecht in the rarefied altitude no one else has ever attained?
    Cheers

I wouldn't worry too much Paul, having just checked Jack Wilde's score it's a paltry 15 kills but Giesebrecht is on 26, Jack must have been sleeping recently or Giesebrecht's been on Speed or whatever the current equivalent of Speed is.
    You did have me a little worried because 2nd Lieutenant Vagabond is on an unlucky 13 but it's taken 3 years to get there so I think there's plenty of time left for him to get invalided home before being forcibly retired.

Dave I wonder if we could have your thoughts on this, is Giesebrecht in the rarefied altitude no one else has ever attained?
    Cheers
    I would hardly call Wilde's tally "paltry" at 15.
    The main difference is Paul didn't fly (officially) in the first series (Daring Young Men) so Giesebrecht got a 'head start' on him.
    Giesebrecht got 7 in DYM, 8 in CYM and then 11 in BYM. Once he got his Sniper skill the tally started to climb significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I would hardly call Wilde's tally "paltry" at 15.
    The main difference is Paul didn't fly (officially) in the first series (Daring Young Men) so Giesebrecht got a 'head start' on him.
    Giesebrecht got 7 in DYM, 8 in CYM and then 11 in BYM. Once he got his Sniper skill the tally started to climb significantly.
    Paltry-schmaltry isn't the point. It's the Sopwith Camel, which might appear at the end of the next campaign or not until the one after that - that is if those campaigns happen. So that's nearly two campaigns before Jack can fly a Camel, but If Uncle has an upper limit after which he sends pilots out to pasture...er, to a desk job....er, to command another squadron, I'll need to be careful with employing him (Jack that is - not Uncle).

...Dave I wonder if we could have your thoughts on this, is Giesebrecht in the rarefied altitude no one else has ever attained?
    It's not the first time, though most of you weren't around OTT at the time, we had a British major retired with the VC & a chest full of medals.
    Günther Giesebrecht has now reached the stage of having pretty much every medal that can be hung on him and so many ace skills as to be nigh on unbeatable & indestructible. As in real life such individuals were moved on to lead other units, or, promoted to fly a desk.
    Pete was agreeable to this and I left it to him to tell the story when the time came.

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-15-2023, 09:40
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-28-2022, 09:49
  3. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-28-2022, 09:31
  4. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-27-2022, 04:42
  5. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-26-2022, 16:33