Ares Games

Thread: OTT-EYM Mission 1: When the Blood Runs Cold – 5th January 1917 by Vagabond

Default OTT-EYM Mission 1: When the Blood Runs Cold – 5th January 1917 by Vagabond

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001 P1490672.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	321010
    Well I was tootling along looking for trouble and trouble found me said Dusty. He must have been stalking me for a while, using the clouds for cover and I was damn lucky to spot him before it was too late.

Name:	002 P1490673.jpg 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	321011
    I pulled hard on the stick and kicked the rudder hard to starboard, it must have thrown him off the scent. I guess he thought I was easy meat, him getting so close without me seeing he was there.

That’s when I noticed the colour of his plane. RED. We all know who that is, and I didn’t expect to see you lot again, I can tell you.

Most of C Flight was sat round the wood burning stove in the Mess, each with our own preferred tipple before us, courtesy of Dusty Rhodes who was in the chair, as he was telling the tale of his encounter with Manfred Von Richthofen.

Name:	003 P1490674.jpg 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	321012
    As I came round I thought for one wonderful minute I was going to get on his tail and put a few rounds into his plane. He started to climb and I knew then, he would Immel.

Name:	004 P1490676.jpg 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	321013
    Sure enough he did and those twin Spandau’s chewed me up really good. I knew I was hit, but the adrenaline was pulsating so hard I didn’t know how badly. The wind screen had burst into a thousand pieces and I think it was a shard of glass that hit me rather than a bullet. My goggles were covered in blood and I could barely see anything.
    I’m fairly certain that I hit his plane though, and when we jeered at that unlikely event Dusty looked a bit askance and repeated, I did, I’m sure of it.

Name:	005 P1490678.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	321014
    I pulled my goggles off so I could see better but the wind just made my eyes water so much that it didn’t help at all. I still had blood running down my face you know and he pointed to the large bandage round his head.

He looked like some Oriental Potentate with a beige turban but we let that go, he was struggling enough to maintain the thread of his story.

Name:	006 P1490679.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	321015
    I didn’t think these new Albatrii could turn very fast but he managed to turn inside my Nieupost and raked the poor old girl again. He’s pretty damn good you know.

I think that was for his benefit, not ours. We already knew MvR was pretty good.

Name:	007 P1490680.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	321016
    I’ll be honest, I stuck 2 fingers up at the bas***d as we crossed. It was the best I could do, he was a far better pilot that me. I just wasn’t going to give him the satisfaction of knowing I knew it as well. There was only one way out, I was going to have to run for my life and hope to make it over the lines in one piece

Name:	008 P1490682.jpg 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	321017
    I managed to get a bit of a head start and his plane was no faster than mine so with a bit of luck I was going to make it.

Name:	009 P1490683.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	321018
    Well, I’m here and I out ran the bugger, there’s not many can say that, so I guess it’ll have to do.

Until I meet him next time, he’ll not get the drop on me again. There was an audible sigh of disbelief around the table before Taki said, are you still in the chair and Dusty sighed and said yes and we all had another drink.

Name:	010 P1490684.jpg 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	321019
    Dusty Rhodes – FRTB WIA, No Kills
    Landed rolled 6+3 so didn’t crash.
    C&W 5+4=9 +1 Lucky Pilot, -1 WIA = 9 Alls well when you land well.

Actual: Dusty Rhodes: RTB / WIA 0 Kills
    C&W 9 +1RTB -1 WIA +1ACE = 10 - All well when you land well.

Although it’s not all’s well when you make such a mess of the opening mission. Dusty Rhodes is a lucky pilot and so could have avoided the wound and plane damage. Also using the A deck, 3+wound isn’t FRTB that’s the B deck which I’m more used to. Dohhh!
    However I think if a rookie pilot came up against Manfred Von Richthofen he would try and get away with his life and think himself lucky to do so. So I’m going to stick with the game as played and hope I improve as we go along. However this is the start of my 5th campaign so maybe it’s too late to hope for any improvements.

Name:	011 P1490685.jpg 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	321020
    Manfred Von Richthofen must have been having an off day.
    Last edited by flash; 11-22-2022 at 06:09. Reason: Prefix & Tally

A decent showing versus MvR, John.

If it's any consolation about mucking it up, I was nearly done when I realized I hadn't been replacing AI 'straight' cards while the Albatros was on fire. Fortunately, I had the photo record; so I backtracked the game and re-played it from turn 3 - the next turn after the fire started. Again. I nearly got to the end when I realized that I hadn't been putting in a stall for engine damage. So, I backtracked the game to start of turn 2 and played it again (Sam?). If not for mucking it up twice and re-playing it thrice I might have done the game with a different opening exchange. Maybe I should have just replayed the whole thing instead of backtracking, but by that time I had sunk so much time into such a short game I was done for - even if Jack was fine.

"Discretion is the better part of valour."
    Worked for Henry IV (at least according to that Shakespeare fella)

Better to get out while the gettin's good than to become just another stat in an enemy's kill sheet.

Beautiful presentation, technicalities be damned.
    REP inbound.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    If it's any consolation about mucking it up, I was nearly done when I realized I hadn't been replacing AI 'straight' cards while the Albatros was on fire. Fortunately, I had the photo record; so I backtracked the game and re-played it from turn 3 - the next turn after the fire started. Again. I nearly got to the end when I realized that I hadn't been putting in a stall for engine damage. So, I backtracked the game to start of turn 2 and played it again (Sam?). If not for mucking it up twice and re-playing it thrice I might have done the game with a different opening exchange. Maybe I should have just replayed the whole thing instead of backtracking, but by that time I had sunk so much time into such a short game I was done for - even if Jack was fine.
    Yes the AAR photos have brought to light many discrepancies in my experience.

Well I enjoyed it anyway John.
    I like the way you got your clouds to levitate too. You have to look hard to spot those glasses.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Cheers guys. I thought me with 1 gun v the AI with 2 guns would make a good game but that Sniper skill is deadly, well that's my excuse.

Rob I've been playing around with clouds for a couple of years and looked at how different people do theirs, is it you that has them on a dark base to represent the shadow on the ground? I liked that one but I'm hoping to incorporate clouds in my scenario for the December game and needed to get a quick cheap solution and I'm pleased how well the glasses worked.
    Last nights trial run of my ideas for clouds in the game didn't go well though. The AI was too clever for me, but it usually is.
    Cheers

I was looking forward to you blooding the Baron's nose until you went wrong....
    3 Wnd A deck not being a cause for FRTB-W. What a shame. Been a while ain't it !
    It all looked and read beautifully though.

Uncle says:

Think nerves got the better of you there Dusty, unlike you to make off with just a scratch. Still, no harm done, you made it back in one piece, along with your kite and you'll do better next time. I'm sure.
    I'll correct the tally.
    Last edited by flash; 11-22-2022 at 06:19.

"He is wise who watches"

Nice little action but a pity Dusty couldn't hang around a little longer. It was a case of 'what might have been'. Still nice AAR and some great pics especially of the clouds.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I was looking forward to you blooding the Baron's nose until you went wrong....
    3 Wnd A deck not being a cause for FRTB-W. What a shame. Been a while ain't it !
    It all looked and read beautifully though.
    Thanks Dave, yes it's been a while, unlike a good wine or whiskey I don't seem to age well. John must try harder as my school reports used to say.
    Cheers

Gary, glad you liked the shots of the clouds.

Enjoyable AAR John and great clouds

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Rob I've been playing around with clouds for a couple of years and looked at how different people do theirs, is it you that has them on a dark base to represent the shadow on the ground? I liked that one but I'm hoping to incorporate clouds in my scenario for the December game and needed to get a quick cheap solution and I'm pleased how well the glasses worked.
    Yes that was me John. Keith did me some mirror images of his white clouds in black for the shadows. It tells you exactly where your aircraft base is in relationship to the cloud overhead. Also the altitude dial can be used to set the height and thickness of the cloud.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by CrashCraig View Post
    Enjoyable AAR John and great clouds
    The clouds seem to have been a hit
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Yes that was me John. Keith did me some mirror images of his white clouds in black for the shadows. It tells you exactly where your aircraft base is in relationship to the cloud overhead. Also the altitude dial can be used to set the height and thickness of the cloud.

Rob.
    I remember them as being particularly nice. I'm wondering about just cutting up A4 paper to represent the cloud base on the ground and not worrying about altitude. Anyone in the cloud is hidden, collisions are more likely and you could lose your sense of direction and not exit the cloud mass where you think you were going to. I've got atleast 7 days to think this through.

I've got at least 7 days to think this through.
    Oh dear!

I'm so glad Dusty made it back to the barn, wound and all. I made exactly the same mistake in assuming a 3 pilot wound from the A deck would have me heading home, but I guess its just wishful thinking - and why not Love the presentation, as always and the clouds are definitely a winner. I've always liked the way you remove the pegs and stands from your photos too. Adds realism. Rep inbound and well deserved just for surviving I think. Mines a beer

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Oh dear!
    I think I might have cracked it.

I replayed this scenario and got a similar result, me v AI humm, maybe there's a good chance. Me with B gun in a Nieuport v AI in an Albatros with 2 A guns and Sniper skill

I've not used the Sniper skill before, it's pretty deadly. Anyway I had 2 good games out of your scenario, thanks Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    I'm so glad Dusty made it back to the barn, wound and all. I made exactly the same mistake in assuming a 3 pilot wound from the A deck would have me heading home, but I guess its just wishful thinking - and why not Love the presentation, as always and the clouds are definitely a winner. I've always liked the way you remove the pegs and stands from your photos too. Adds realism. Rep inbound and well deserved just for surviving I think. Mines a beer
    Thanks Mike, I'm usually happy if my pilots survive, better if they win but that's a rare bird.
    Cheers

I think I might have cracked it.

I replayed this scenario and got a similar result, me v AI humm, maybe there's a good chance. Me with B gun in a Nieuport v AI in an Albatros with 2 A guns and Sniper skill

I've not used the Sniper skill before, it's pretty deadly. Anyway I had 2 good games out of your scenario, thanks Paul.
    That's great, John. Now, if only I can find time to replay the scenario. I'd like to see how the other, flying type, ace skills work with AI.

Fabulous AAR as always, John. Loved the clouds and seeing one of your beautiful Nieuports get shot up
    The Sniper skill is a fav as it has a (sometimes) helpful side benefit that you can give a 0 damage card in some cases in order to avoid a gun jam.

As always John a nice AAR and supporting scenery with some great close-ups.

Another advantage of the glass support is that you can fill it with beer afterwards!!

Good game. In real life I guess Manny would have killed that newbie without him even being aware he was dead. He was great at sneaky kills.

Discretion is the better part of valor it is said. Dusty took it to heart and lived to tell the tale!

It was a long break so don't worry about mistakes. We all make them even in the middle of a campaign. At least Dusty made it back with his plane in one piece.

Cheers guys, thanks for your kind words, sorry to be so late responding but I've been working on my December Scenario. I do believe it's got a lot of potential but I'm having a bit of trouble drawing the potential out of it.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-15-2023, 09:40
  2. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-27-2022, 04:42
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-27-2022, 03:34
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-26-2022, 14:24
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-02-2022, 22:32