Ares Games

Thread: OTT-EYM Mission 1: When the Blood Runs Cold - 5th January 1917 - by ShadowDragon

Default OTT-EYM Mission 1: When the Blood Runs Cold - 5th January 1917 - by ShadowDragon

OTT-EYM Mission 1: When the Blood Runs Cold, by ShadowDragon

EYM Scenario description:

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...y-ShadowDragon

This scenario was adapted from Mission 3, “The Hunter in the Skies”, by Blackronin, for the very first OTT campaign. The changes I made were to include some new ace skills, add named aces (I don’t think these were yet available for the original OTT campaign) and to put a turn limit on the game so it didn’t drag on too long. The original scenario is here with links to the AAR of that campaign.

I’ve wanted to this for awhile since we seldom get to play against aces on the other side. My enemy roster is getting close to the first, but we’ll see. Also, I’ve come to prefer smaller scenarios, but not quite one-on-one as these can be a frustrating to play. I did think of adding in a 2nd plane on each side to come in on a later turn, but kept it one-on-one in the end.

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...paign-Missions

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...r-in-the-Skies

As the saying goes, well laid plans go astray….I didn’t quite get the action I intended. I thought of re-doing my game but we’re into the last third of November and it’s unlikely I’ll get that done. So here’s the game.

The Story

As Baz approached the veranda of the Wilde house, he could hear Bruce and Jack arguing.

“I tell you I did.”

“Well, that may be, Jack, but as the lawyers will tell you, it’s not what’s true it’s what you can prove and you can’t prove it.”

The two turned and nodded at Baz as he sat down and poured himself a glass of the excellent 1898 Cognac. Jack had managed to acquire several cases of the cognac for a song while he lived in France. It was excellent and if any of the gentlemen had know that a case would fetch a fine price in 50 years they might have slowed down their consumption, but liquid assets will be…well, liquid for only so long.

https://oldliquors.com/products/1898...vintage-cognac

Baz sipped the cognac – yes, very good stuff. Mind you it was as good as the 1798 but Baz had only heard about the 1798 as he had not been lucky enough to taste it; and, given it’s price – worthy of a prince’s ransom, that was unlikely.

https://oldliquors.com/products/cogn...ande-champagne

Jack turned to Baz, “Baz, you know I’m not telling a tale.”

Baz nodded in the vain hope that it wouldn’t be the umpteenth time that Jack would tell the story, but…he just sighed as Jack went on.”

Jack’s Story

Let me tell you how it went and you can decide. It was cold day in early January of 1917 – cold enough to freeze your buns off. Jock and I were on a patrol over the lines to ward off Hun observation planes. Jock developed engine trouble and had to cut the mission short. I should have headed back too rather than flying solo but I thought I’d give a couple more passes over No Man’s Land first. We had been warned of the risks. The Bloody Red Baron was only beginning to make his mark but he was a rising star for the Germans – enough so that we had all heard of him. He had not been seen in our neck of the woods – he had downed one of our boys the previous day near Metz, so I thought a couple of passes wouldn’t hurt and the odds were unlikely that the Red Baron be dropping from the sky near me that day.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EYM01000.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	320983

Still thoughts of the Red Baron made me check over my shoulder a little more than usual. That’s when I saw a red Albatros on my tail – it’s the Baron. He must have popped out of a cloud. It was a cold day and suddenly my blood dropped a few more degrees.

Name:	EYM01011.jpg 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	320984

If it was the Red Baron I was a dead man. That thought jarred me from my stupor. If I was going to be a dead man it would not be with a bullet in my back. I Immel’d plane to meet the red Albatros head on.

Name:	EYM01012.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	320985

Then came the miracle. We met head on guns blazing. I saw my tracers head straight into the cowling of the Albatros and, for a moment, there was brief flicker of a flame. Bullets whizzed all around me. I checked my body. For an instant I thought I had been hit and died as I felt nothing, but I was still flying my Tripe, so it was best to keep on the Baron.

Name:	EYM01013.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	149.1 KB 
ID:	320986

Another Immelmann and I was to the right rear of Baron. Another burst and the flicker of flame on Albatros the became a fire. For a moment I was elated. I had him, but my single Vickers jammed.

Name:	EYM01021.jpg 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	320987

I tried to keep with the Albatros while I worked a the jam. The Tripe was even faster than the Albatros then normal since the Baron’s engine was suffering my some damage from my first burst.

Name:	EYM01022.jpg 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	320988

It took some fancy flying (Bruce and Baz rolled their eyes at this) to keep behind the Baron and not collide with his Albatros.

Name:	EYM01023.jpg 
Size:	119.3 KB 
ID:	320989

I had to make a quick decision – the sensible option for the Baron was an overdive to put out the flames and if I didn’t follow him he’d escape, but what if he didn’t? Then I’d end up far below him. It was a 50-50 proposition. I went with the overdive. The fire was rapidly consuming the fabric of the Albatros; the Baron went with the overdive (50% chance – I rolled for the option).

Name:	EYM01031.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	320990

My Vickers as unjammed but the Baron was gone into his dive first so he was far too low for me. (The Tripe’s over dive was a turn delayed due to the steep manoeuvre for the last phase of the previous turn.) The over dive had some effect on the fire. (One fire chit removed for the Albatros’ overdive.)

Name:	EYM01032.jpg 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	320991

Despite my dogging him, the overdive was a good choice. There was a bit more damage but the fire died out.

Name:	EYM01033.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	320992

The Baron levelled off, and I was close behind, but we were nearly in range the Hun’s Archie. I had one last change. One last burst and the red Albatros banked and nosed down towards the ground. (Bruce interjected to point out that Jack wasn’t known for his marksmanship so clearly an angel was looking after him that day.)

Name:	EYM01041.jpg 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	320993

I didn’t stick around long enough to see what happened, but our boys on the ground confirmed that a reddish Albatros went down. I was credited with the victory, but there were no Hun reports of the Red Baron being shot down so the official conclusion was that it was some other Hun pilot.

On the German side of the line, a smoking, red Albatros seemed doomed to crash but the pilot managed to bring the nose up and managed to land the aeroplane along a road. The Albatros would not fly again but the pilot was unscathed. He hopped out of the wreckage as a nearby staff car drove up. The driver and an officer got out; and, on recognizing the pilot, saluted.

“Sind Sie in Ordnung, mein Herr?”

“Ja, nur motorschäden”

Scenario Results
    Enemy ace shot down = Seadog (RNAS X ‘Turkey’ Squadron) victory

The game was a bit of a disappointment as I wanted just a bit more dogfighting to try out the ace skills, but…I’m sure X Squadron will take the victory.
    Last edited by flash; 11-22-2022 at 03:05. Reason: Title

Butcher’s Tally

The Sea Dogs
    FSL Jack Wilde: Tripe - RTB 1 kill (MvR???)

Name:	EYM01BB01.jpg 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	320994

The Adlers
    Manfred von Richthofen - unconfirmed Red DIII - SD-FT 0 kills
    C&W: “Not yet his time” rule invoked

Name:	EYM01BB02.jpg 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	320995
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 11-22-2022 at 07:02.

Well done, Paul.
    A Wilde tale or a Wild Tale?
    Juan will never know ...

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Well done, Paul.
    A Wilde tale or a Wild Tale?
    Juan will never know ...
    It was such a cut and dried game that I needed to figure out some way to tell the tale. I figured, in that first pass, with his sniper ability, MvR had a 30% chance of getting at least one serious card (boom, engine hit, serious wound or fire) out of the three cards draw (2 or 3 serous cards is about 3%). Jack has "lucky pilot" so he could have nullified one bad card but using up "lucky pilot" in the first pass would have made an interesting fight since "heading for the barn" would not have been an option. One the other side of that first pass, it's less than 1% chance of drawing two serious cards from a B deck. Note: I rolled 50-50 for which card would be nullified.

I can see why the 98 Brandy is in such short supply, so much was drunk by that blowhard Frenchman in the 1830's and 40's telling his tall tales. I believe he must get off his backside and see if Teredo Worm has left his ships bottoms alone and if the wind still blows from a favourable direction and Johnny Rossbiff runs from a bold French sea Capitaine.

Be that as it may Jack's tale seems a little wild to me. Shooting down the Red Barron, an unlikely story, even if well told.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    I can see why the 98 Brandy is in such short supply, so much was drunk by that blowhard Frenchman in the 1830's and 40's telling his tall tales. I believe he must get off his backside and see if Teredo Worm has left his ships bottoms alone and if the wind still blows from a favourable direction and Johnny Rossbiff runs from a bold French sea Capitaine.

Be that as it may Jack's tale seems a little wild to me. Shooting down the Red Barron, an unlikely story, even if well told.
    I was sure the 98 brandy was gone, which would explain the dearth of sea-going yarns from the Capitaine.

It certainly was unlikely - that opening exchange had a 1 in 250 chance of going Jack's way.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    I was sure the 98 brandy was gone, which would explain the dearth of sea-going yarns from the Capitaine.

It certainly was unlikely - that opening exchange had a 1 in 250 chance of going Jack's way.
    1 in 250, well that probably explains why my attempt failed so badly earlier this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    1 in 250, well that probably explains why my attempt failed so badly earlier this evening.
    I see you've posted. I look forward to reading your AAR.

As for the 1798 brandy - if I recall, our naughty, nautical Capitaine is partial to armagnac and not cognac. It does seem the 1798 had been drained to the last dregs. All I could find is the 1815 - not an auspicious year - but still pricey.

https://oldliquors.com/collections/v...-haut-sku-7265

Glad you pointed out the overdive as you played climb cards for both models but it's been a while!

Uncle says:

Shot down the Baron ? Unlikely, we would have heard something by now but whoever it was it appears he had a bad day at the office, that's for sure and the kill is confirmed by Arty observers near the front.

FSL Jack Wilde is awarded 2nd bar to MC for his 15th victory for King & Empire

PM me his next chosen ace skill, Paul
    Last edited by flash; 11-22-2022 at 03:20.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Glad you pointed out the overdive as you played climb cards for both models but it's been a while!

Argh, I did. Doh! It has been a while. At least it was the same for both planes, so the net effect would be to nudge MvR??? a bit closer to the mat edge.

That was short and very sharp exchange. The luck of the Irish was with you that morning. Congrats on Wilde getting to triple Ace.

Quote Originally Posted by Hu Rhu View Post
    That was short and very sharp exchange. The luck of the Irish was with you that morning. Congrats on Wilde getting to triple Ace.
    Thanks, Gary.

I wish I had told that story Paul!

Fredric. O. Kyte.

You will Oscar you will. Just don't go wild.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I wish I had told that story Paul!

Fredric. O. Kyte.

You will Oscar you will. Just don't go wild.

You guys are setting the bar high this year on AAR writing. Excellent action and result for Jack.

Wow! another great game there. Manny lives on again.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Wow! another great game there. Manny lives on again.
    If I was Manny, I'd check Jack's deck of cards....

Well the Devil he had three aces and a king
    And the Lord, he was running for a straight
    He had the queen and the knave and nine and ten of spades
    All he needed was the eight

And then the Lord he called for one more card
    But he drew the diamond eight
    And the Devil said to the son of God
    I believe you've got it straight
    So deal me one for the time has come
    To see who'll be the king of this place
    But as he spoke, from beneath his cloak
    He slipped another ace

Quick and dirty Paul. A Wilde story that will have all his friends and wingmen rolling their eyes.

Thanks for this small scenario to kick off the new Campaign. 1 on 1 can easily go widely one way or the other. Lucky for Wilde he won the toss.

Baz sipped the cognac – yes, very good stuff
    It aught to be at that price - $3,699.00 Don't suppose I'll ever get the opportunity to try such a Cognac

the 1798
    And at $88,999 that is just crazy Still, it serves to wet the appetite for the rest of the AAR

I enjoyed the tale and I have no problem at all with the length of your mission - How could I since it almost mirrors my own And the result is perfect for the Bulldogs. Well played that man and wgreat to see the altitude rules in use again - that overdive was risky! Can't help wondering what might have happened if MvR hadn't done the same

Thanks for a good yarn Paul - Rep inbound

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Quick and dirty Paul. A Wilde story that will have all his friends and wingmen rolling their eyes.

Thanks for this small scenario to kick off the new Campaign. 1 on 1 can easily go widely one way or the other. Lucky for Wilde he won the toss.
    Thanks, Peter and glad people seemed to have enjoyed the scenario. I needed to show that I could do a simple as well as complex scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    I enjoyed the tale and I have no problem at all with the length of your mission - How could I since it almost mirrors my own And the result is perfect for the Bulldogs. Well played that man and wgreat to see the altitude rules in use again - that overdive was risky! Can't help wondering what might have happened if MvR hadn't done the same

Thanks for a good yarn Paul - Rep inbound
    It's a good question about what would have happened. If MvR had not gone with the overdive he would take one more fire damage card; so I drew an A damage card. It was a '4'; so MvR would still have gone down but in flames this time. That would have made a bigger spectacle and more likely Jack would get credit for downing the Baron. Too bad Jack; it's a better story this way.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Thanks, Peter and glad people seemed to have enjoyed the scenario. I needed to show that I could do a simple as well as complex scenarios...
    Well, borrow at least

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Well, borrow at least
    Stolen, really.
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 11-28-2022 at 08:04.

Catching up and somehow missed this. Well done, Paul Beautiful triplane

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    Catching up and somehow missed this. Well done, Paul Beautiful triplane
    Fully understandable that AAR get missed. Thanks for the rep.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-27-2022, 04:42
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-27-2022, 03:34
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-26-2022, 14:24
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-02-2022, 22:32
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-09-2020, 10:56